Jump to content
  • Sign Up
MBarrett profile photo

BBC Biggest Weekend - I Enjoyed It. Anyone else?

Freebasing MBarrett

 
Posted

I dipped into some of the live feed and then some other acts on iPlayer.

I must have been on some weird "natural high" this weekend because I enjoyed almost every act I saw.

Taylor Swift to Liam Gallagher. And all shades of music in between. It's true. I can't deny it! :):)

I haven't seen every act yet but my favourite thus far is Jess Glynne. Quite a soulful vibe to her music and looks like a DG Rossetti painting. Beautiful!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p066b6s7/biggest-weekend-jess-glynne

Probably talking to myself here but anyone else care to comment?

 

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, MBarrett said:

I dipped into some of the live feed and then some other acts on iPlayer.

I must have been on some weird "natural high" this weekend because I enjoyed almost every act I saw.

Taylor Swift to Liam Gallagher. And all shades of music in between. It's true. I can't deny it! :):)

I haven't seen every act yet but my favourite thus far is Jess Glynne. Quite a soulful vibe to her music and looks like a DG Rossetti painting. Beautiful!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p066b6s7/biggest-weekend-jess-glynne

Probably talking to myself here but anyone else care to comment?

 

I enjoyed paloma faith , and billy ocean can still cut it , not really my bag , but they were very good. 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Colnago said:

I enjoyed paloma faith , and billy ocean can still cut it , not really my bag , but they were very good. 

PF reminds me a bit of Toyah. Lovely and talented lady. And what a great vibe when Billy Ocean was on the stage. Saw him interviewed afterwards. A TRUE gentleman.

I'm having a real multi-genre musical love fest this weekend. LOL! :)

Edited by MBarrett

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MBarrett said:

I haven't seen every act yet but my favourite thus far is Jess Glynne. Quite a soulful vibe to her music and looks like a DG Rossetti painting. Beautiful!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p066b6s7/biggest-weekend-jess-glynne

Probably talking to myself here but anyone else care to comment?

 

You are right MBarrett. A ravishingly lovely young woman in the Lizzie Siddal  mould. I suppose you know the story that when she died and they laid her to rest Dante Gabriel Rossetti placed a book of hand written love poems in the casket for her to enjoy. A few years later when he was hard up he had her body exhumed in order to recover his poems. They had become inelligible due to dampness. 

On a less high cultural note I've seen Jess Glynne at Selhurst Park wearing the red & blue. Somewhat distracting and I'm old enough (just) to be her Grand dad!. Here she is with an old Champagne King cut.

 

Edited by Firecrest
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
23 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

You are right MBarrett. A ravishingly lovely young woman in the Lizzie Siddal  mould. I suppose you know the story that when she died and they laid her to rest Dante Gabriel Rossetti placed a book of hand written love poems in the casket for her to enjoy. A few years later when he was hard up she had her body exhumed in order to recover his poems. They had become intelligible due to dampness. 

 

Yes fascinating story! I got VERY interested in the Pre-Raphaelites at one time. It started when I came across a little Burne-Jones stained glass window in a tiny church in Essex. There was something really magical about it - but why was it there? It turned out that a solicitor who was a parishioner had been given it in lieu of a debt. And he had donated it to the church.

That set me off on quest for more information about this intriguing bunch of artists - and then on to John Ruskin - and then William Morris etc. etc. etc. 

So a mash up of soul music and the Pre-Raph look is right up my street! :)

 

Pre.jpg

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)

There's a beautiful Burne-Jones window in Wigan Parish Church. Absolutely stunning. I too love that era, arts and crafts movement etc. Can't stand Glynne though, sounds like a gurgling drain lol

Did catch Sheeran, Glynne, Gallagher and couple of other bits, people were loving it, good to see 

Edited by jumpinjoan
  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
40 minutes ago, jumpinjoan said:

Did catch Sheeran

I'm sure there will be people on here who don't like him. But IMHO what a talented and likeable guy Ed Sheeran is. I totally get why he is the huge star that he is.

Constructive criticism of any of the artists welcomed. But not Taylor Swift's skin tight outfit. That's off limits. LOL! :)

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

I like him too. Was ridiculed relentlessly enroute to Bury Saturday night for saying so but hey, let's get it out there 😀

  • Up vote 1

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Caught Simple Minds on the way up to Bury on Sat - Loved the interview and the fact they're still at it after 40 years, genuinely appreciating their success, and enjoying playing in Scotland (I also watched it when I got home)

....."My name is Len, I like other music"......:wink:

 

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MBarrett said:

 

So a mash up of soul music and the Pre-Raph look is right up my street! :)

 

Not a sentiment I see too often MB but each to their own. Just for the record I married a stunning red head thirty years ago.

Edited by Firecrest

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted

Caught Liams last song on the radio he sounded like frank sidebottom to me :-))

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
2 hours ago, mark b said:

Caught Liams last song on the radio he sounded like frank sidebottom to me :-))

He's a national treasure. What a duller place the world would be without Liam G. LOL! :):):)

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b0b57lx8/biggest-weekend-liam-gallagher

Share this source music forum post


soul source url
Posted
On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:34, Firecrest said:

You are right MBarrett. A ravishingly lovely young woman in the Lizzie Siddal  mould. I suppose you know the story that when she died and they laid her to rest Dante Gabriel Rossetti placed a book of hand written love poems in the casket for her to enjoy. A few years later when he was hard up he had her body exhumed in order to recover his poems. They had become inelligible due to dampness. 

On a less high cultural note I've seen Jess Glynne at Selhurst Park wearing the red & blue. Somewhat distracting and I'm old enough (just) to be her Grand dad!. Here she is with an old Champagne King cut.

 

It's not every day you see a post with Palace and Evelyn King mentioned. Nice one 😀

Share this source music forum post


soul source url

Freebasing - Source Forum

An off the soul beat lifestyle talk forum

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!
Log into Soul Source

Get max use of the forums

Log in now!

Source Adverts



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.