MBarrett

BBC Biggest Weekend - I Enjoyed It. Anyone else?

I dipped into some of the live feed and then some other acts on iPlayer.

I must have been on some weird "natural high" this weekend because I enjoyed almost every act I saw.

Taylor Swift to Liam Gallagher. And all shades of music in between. It's true. I can't deny it! :):)

I haven't seen every act yet but my favourite thus far is Jess Glynne. Quite a soulful vibe to her music and looks like a DG Rossetti painting. Beautiful!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p066b6s7/biggest-weekend-jess-glynne

Probably talking to myself here but anyone else care to comment?

1 hour ago, MBarrett said:

I dipped into some of the live feed and then some other acts on iPlayer.

I must have been on some weird "natural high" this weekend because I enjoyed almost every act I saw.

Taylor Swift to Liam Gallagher. And all shades of music in between. It's true. I can't deny it! :):)

I haven't seen every act yet but my favourite thus far is Jess Glynne. Quite a soulful vibe to her music and looks like a DG Rossetti painting. Beautiful!

I enjoyed paloma faith , and billy ocean can still cut it , not really my bag , but they were very good. 

Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Colnago said:

I enjoyed paloma faith , and billy ocean can still cut it , not really my bag , but they were very good. 

PF reminds me a bit of Toyah. Lovely and talented lady. And what a great vibe when Billy Ocean was on the stage. Saw him interviewed afterwards. A TRUE gentleman.

I'm having a real multi-genre musical love fest this weekend. LOL! :)

Edited by MBarrett

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, MBarrett said:

I haven't seen every act yet but my favourite thus far is Jess Glynne. Quite a soulful vibe to her music and looks like a DG Rossetti painting. Beautiful!

You are right MBarrett. A ravishingly lovely young woman in the Lizzie Siddal  mould. I suppose you know the story that when she died and they laid her to rest Dante Gabriel Rossetti placed a book of hand written love poems in the casket for her to enjoy. A few years later when he was hard up he had her body exhumed in order to recover his poems. They had become inelligible due to dampness. 

On a less high cultural note I've seen Jess Glynne at Selhurst Park wearing the red & blue. Somewhat distracting and I'm old enough (just) to be her Grand dad!. Here she is with an old Champagne King cut.

Edited by Firecrest

23 minutes ago, Firecrest said:

You are right MBarrett. A ravishingly lovely young woman in the Lizzie Siddal  mould. I suppose you know the story that when she died and they laid her to rest Dante Gabriel Rossetti placed a book of hand written love poems in the casket for her to enjoy. A few years later when he was hard up she had her body exhumed in order to recover his poems. They had become intelligible due to dampness. 

Yes fascinating story! I got VERY interested in the Pre-Raphaelites at one time. It started when I came across a little Burne-Jones stained glass window in a tiny church in Essex. There was something really magical about it - but why was it there? It turned out that a solicitor who was a parishioner had been given it in lieu of a debt. And he had donated it to the church.

That set me off on quest for more information about this intriguing bunch of artists - and then on to John Ruskin - and then William Morris etc. etc. etc. 

So a mash up of soul music and the Pre-Raph look is right up my street! :)

Pre.jpg

Posted (edited)

There's a beautiful Burne-Jones window in Wigan Parish Church. Absolutely stunning. I too love that era, arts and crafts movement etc. Can't stand Glynne though, sounds like a gurgling drain lol

Did catch Sheeran, Glynne, Gallagher and couple of other bits, people were loving it, good to see 

Edited by jumpinjoan

40 minutes ago, jumpinjoan said:

Did catch Sheeran

I'm sure there will be people on here who don't like him. But IMHO what a talented and likeable guy Ed Sheeran is. I totally get why he is the huge star that he is.

Constructive criticism of any of the artists welcomed. But not Taylor Swift's skin tight outfit. That's off limits. LOL! :)

Caught Simple Minds on the way up to Bury on Sat - Loved the interview and the fact they're still at it after 40 years, genuinely appreciating their success, and enjoying playing in Scotland (I also watched it when I got home)

....."My name is Len, I like other music"......:wink:

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, MBarrett said:

So a mash up of soul music and the Pre-Raph look is right up my street! :)

Not a sentiment I see too often MB but each to their own. Just for the record I married a stunning red head thirty years ago.

Edited by Firecrest

On ‎28‎/‎05‎/‎2018 at 15:34, Firecrest said:

You are right MBarrett. A ravishingly lovely young woman in the Lizzie Siddal  mould. I suppose you know the story that when she died and they laid her to rest Dante Gabriel Rossetti placed a book of hand written love poems in the casket for her to enjoy. A few years later when he was hard up he had her body exhumed in order to recover his poems. They had become inelligible due to dampness. 

On a less high cultural note I've seen Jess Glynne at Selhurst Park wearing the red & blue. Somewhat distracting and I'm old enough (just) to be her Grand dad!. Here she is with an old Champagne King cut.

It's not every day you see a post with Palace and Evelyn King mentioned. Nice one 😀

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.