West Coast Biggie

Just the one West Coast stunner, the sort you promote in lights on a nearby Hollywood hillside…..

Hayes Cotton – Black wings have my angel / I’ll be waiting – Resist 504 M- £2000

The passing of Hayes Cotton Jr. in Nov 15 was without doubt a sad moment for his proud family and friends, but the man done good.  Would you believe that this highly revered Northern Soul artist cherished the world over for 2 45’s and a single album release part designed Dallas / Fort Worth International Airport, at which I had the pleasure of passing through, nearly missing a flight after choosing a stroll through this massive complex having ignored the complimentary tram system put there for a reason!

From his humble beginnings in Mexia, Limestone County, Texas, Hayes Junior, yep, his Dad was Hayes too, set his sights on fulfilling all his childhood dreams. Graduating through Woodland High and Prairie View University he earned a very respectable Bachelor of Science Degree in Engineering, this opened doors and opportunities for him, relocating to California to take up a role in the aerospace industry.  His talent recognised, he moved on to become one of the first black American civil engineers in the Federal Aviation Administration, teaching airport planning for an amazing 25 years.

Every civil engineer needs to let off steam, Hayes not only did this in the company of his cherished family, but also in the recording studio, he had a unique voice so why not?  He won a contest for unsigned talent on R&B radio station KKBT “The Beat” in Los Angeles and became an overnight celebrity in Hollywood.  His song “Secret Lover” also the title of his album was a popular tune played over the airwaves of L.A. for several years and was re-recorded by various recording artists.  With his mounting fan base, Hayes became a regular guest of the KKBT “Morning show”, not just for his vocals but his wisdom and general knowledge.  His earlier 60s recordings, which he wrote and sung were unearthed, eventually being picked up by our Grateful scene.  The rest is our history and Hayes legacy.

This Northern R&B rarity, with credits emanating from the Florence community south of LA, is one of 2 fabulous 45 releases by this awesome man, the earlier Claire label release I let go some years ago, but this Miles Grayson produced gem was reserved for a special occasion.  It may be a little-known fact but there is an alternative take titled “Black wings has my angel” appearing on Resist and Acetates, however this version benefits from the harmonica intro.  As a civil engineer, I guess we should expect he was going to tinker with various versions of his recordings much like he would his airport plans, always seeking perfection. 

Mint minus vinyl, dead wax stamp (maybe ALCO someone will know?), just very light background on run in heard through headphones, hardly discernable through speakers.  Clean labels but top side glued marginally off-centre.

Fully insured UK postage included, overseas to be discussed.

PayPal by friends or add 4% please, bank transfer available.

Cheers, Lee

959730261_Cotton1.jpg.d75d2fdd53fca13dec5aae1f396e1b4c.jpg 1282751935_Cotton2.jpg.a67a1f428e23e27922af0750060be451.jpg
Edited by SoulfulSolutions
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

soul auctionsTap here for 24hr ebay Lists  Sign in to Switch Ebay Lists OFF 
  • Replies 2
  • Views 787
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source