Steve S 60

World Cup in 4K

34 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

A chance to see England fail miserably in glorious Ultra High Definition.

Which is why I wont be watching it, personally.

After the all out capitulation, coupled with the absolute calamity and the total embarrassment that was Euro 2016, I don't know if i ever want to watch them play a game of football again. 

42 minutes ago, Soulsides said:

Which is why I wont be watching it, personally.

After the all out capitulation, coupled with the absolute calamity and the total embarrassment that was Euro 2016, I don't know if i ever want to watch them play a game of football again. 

It's also in Virtual Reality, which just about sums up our chances of winning.

Posted (edited)

And seeing as we have yet another manager who fails to recognise that the team captain`s armband is not just a magnificent accolade to give to the latest "BIG NAME" player to keep him from sulking, we`ll be lucky to make the group stage!

Edited by Steve Lane

4 minutes ago, JNixon said:

Surely someone else is interested to see what Southgate has done?

I’ll accept schadenfreuden style interest...

That's a big fuckin word brother and one of me favourite . Let's talk German semantics it far more interesting than football. Phenomenology, it's a hot potato. They think it's over no its not... Pickles the dog..... 

Mexicana, our Bobby, ratners, gaucamalie,spud. U. Like   ?

1 hour ago, themroc said:

That's a big fuckin word brother and one of me favourite . Let's talk German semantics it far more interesting than football. Phenomenology, it's a hot potato. They think it's over no its not... Pickles the dog..... 

Posted (edited)

I’ll be watching although I don’t have a 4k tv . 

No expectations, they are a young bunch with one eye on the future but they might just spring the odd surprise. 

Edited by chalky

Posted (edited)

I think the only 4k programme that iplayer has done in the past was 'Blue Planet'. Even with a good internet connection it would buffer a couple of times, frustrating if you're watching football

At the time (late last year) there was certain TV's that couldn't get it even though they were 4k, i think Sony was one of them. Two different family members of mine tried and couldn't get it, could get high def but not 4k.

Edit: BBC link for supported TVs (don't know if that's the full list)  https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/uhd-connected-tv

Edited by alan t

1 hour ago, alan t said:

I think the only 4k programme that iplayer has done in the past was 'Blue Planet'. Even with a good internet connection it would buffer a couple of times, frustrating if you're watching football

At the time (late last year) there was certain TV's that couldn't get it even though they were 4k, i think Sony was one of them. Two different family members of mine tried and couldn't get it, could get high def but not 4k.

Edit: BBC link for supported TVs (don't know if that's the full list)  https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/help/latest-news/uhd-connected-tv

Quiet pub 

1 hour ago, alan t said:

There's a bit of 4K content on Amazon Prime which streams OK using fibre broadband.  Just switched ISP from Plusnet to Vodafone, and according to the latter, they run their own fibre to the cabinet, unlike other companies who share.  That's why Vodafone can supposedly guarantee a minimum download speed.  I'll certainly hold them to it once the ten days "settling in" period has passed.

1 hour ago, Baldsoulie said:

The other downside is, even if you have a UHD tv, "it is limited to tens of thousands" a BBC term, will be allowed access to the stream.

Just read that, plus the BBC recommend a minimum broadband speed of 40mbps, which rules out most people.

1 hour ago, JNixon said:

Was the Nigeria match in 4K? We’re ee any good? 

Sterling did some good falling over, apparently.

He was a f`kin embarrassment!.....the sooner they start giving red cards to cheats like him diving in the area the better! 

He was awful as well, it just shows how much City players actually make him look good. 

I didn't think Sterling's performance was that bad.  Yes he dived and quite rightly was booked, it isn't something I want to see and the sooner managers do something about it the better.  Pep has certainly improved him as a player.  For England he worked hard, the service wasn't too great and he was having to drop deeper to get the ball.  We look a bit out of sorts at the back.  I like Lotus-Cheek, he will be a class player hopefully.  He has a great touch, flair and skill. 

They are a young g team and will get better, whether that will be good enough to win tournaments in the future we will have to see.  There is a lot to improve upon but for an inexperienced side...well I've seen worse for England with far bigger and better names.

Hate to say this but. because our players play in the most competitive and lucrative league in the world , we ain't got a chance of winning the competition , shame because there are some good players in the team , hate the diving , a red card everytime is the only answer to that , COME ON ENGLAND     -PROVE ME WRONG . ⚽😤

Posted (edited)
33 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

COME ON ENGLAND     -PROVE ME WRONG . ⚽😤

They will Pete, in the year 3018 probably..

Better start building that time machine now I reckon mate...

Also,speaking of time machines, I wonder how many of those cliched,utterly pointless references to the glory of 1966 will be churned out as usual by the so called football commentators during our (no doubt) brief participation in the tournament..

Lots, I would imagine. .there probably wont be much else left to talk about.

Edited by Soulsides

31 minutes ago, Spain pete said:

Hate to say this but. because our players play in the most competitive and lucrative league in the world , we ain't got a chance of winning the competition , shame because there are some good players in the team , hate the diving , a red card everytime is the only answer to that , COME ON ENGLAND     -PROVE ME WRONG . ⚽😤

It needs retrospective bans, use video tech and if diving ban them for three games...in all competitions.  It will soon stop.

I doubt we do have much chance and our players do look tired at times but they've had a couple of weeks off some of them so no excuse.  They will get plenty of rest in the run up and during the finals.

On 31/05/2018 at 09:37, Steve S 60 said:

BBC have just announced they will be screening some matches in 4K  on the iPlayer.  A chance to see England fail miserably in glorious Ultra High Definition.

What is 4k Steve? Can I get it on my telly?

On 31/05/2018 at 12:09, Steve Lane said:

And seeing as we have yet another manager who fails to recognise that the team captain`s armband is not just a magnificent accolade to give to the latest "BIG NAME" player to keep him from sulking, we`ll be lucky to make the group stage!

Southgate is more effective than my sleeping pills. 

Just because they broadcast in 4k, isn't it irrelevant if your TV doesn't support 4k?  Most TV are 1080p and will not support a 4k broadcast, neither will most PC/laptop screens.

Anybody know if that really annoying band that follows England is gonna be at the World Cup?

That “come on England “ played on a trumpet really gets on my nerves.

Or am I just a grumpy old git.

Anyone managed to get the UHD transmission yet?.  If so does the UHD transmission start at the beginning of the show, i.e. at the chat show before the game or at the kick off?.

Have to go to settings and change to iPlayer beta and then picture highest quality  for your connection speed. If it's good enough  will  work. Looked good last night 

The three times I tried to watch a match in UHD on iPlayer I ended going back to live HD because of all the buffering, despite having fibre broadband.  Also, the picture was a lot darker.  Not a great success from my point of view.

If the technology is already available why are we normally expected to pay more for better quality vision of an event.

I don't remember back in the day going to the local flea pit to be told, it's a shilling to go in and watch the matinee, if you pay two shillings we'll pull the curtain back.:glare:

1 hour ago, chalky said:

But if wahtbyou are watching the transmission on doesn’t support UHD you won’t get UHD, just the best your PC/TV has. 

The telly was up to the job, as it's 4K and supports Hybrid Log Gamma HDR, which the BBC use for their UHD broadcasts.  Very mixed reviews on the internet with the main problems being buffering and the sound out of sync with the picture.  The studio shots were impressive, but coverage on the pitch looked very dull in comparison.  Don't know if the camera locations had anything to do with it, but the normal HD picture was much brighter.  There were also reports of the live stream being well behind the normal broadcast, up to a minute in some cases.

I saw the 'watch in UHD' label once after many attempts at the start of different games but it disappeared before I could do anything about it!, so back to HD.    Still there is always 2022 to look forward to but if sorting local / regional news broadcasting in HD is anything to go by UHD might be sorted by 2026. 

Unless you have high speed broadband with Virgin, you don’t get true high fibre as the fibre is only to the exchange box.  From there to the house it is still copper. Then you are sharing the bandwidth with your neighbours so there would be issues at oeak times like. World cup match.  

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.