shinehead

Ben Sherman at it again ?

Well i suppose we have to expect this sort of marketing (like it or not) as our Scene has not  been an Underground Scene for Many Years now.

I suppose it will be followed up with the obligatory promotional video  

We should be proud that Ben Sherman use our scene to sell shirts I can't remember who promoted them when my mum bought my my first one from George Alan's in Corby when I was 13 with a provvy, but did I feel good wow ..Ben Sherman & Levi's god bless you mum miss you

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, monny1916 said:

We should be proud that Ben Sherman use our scene to sell shirts I can't remember who promoted them when my mum bought my my first one from George Alan's in Corby when I was 13 with a provvy, but did I feel good wow ..Ben Sherman & Levi's god bless you mum miss you

Ben Sherman use anything that it thinks will sell items , a few years ago it was the Beatles now its Northern , I remember buying Ben Sherman's just for the style and quality of the shirt.

Edited by shinehead

39 minutes ago, shinehead said:

Ben Sherman use anything that it thinks will sell items , a few years ago it was the Beatles now its Northern , I remember buying Ben Sherman's just for the style and quality of the shirt.

A few years ago the Beatles split up nearly 50 years ago and don't forget Brutus another great shirt 

9 minutes ago, monny1916 said:

A few years ago the Beatles split up nearly 50 years ago and don't forget Brutus another great shirt 

The Beatles theme was retrospective and from only a few years ago it featured amongst other shirts a '' Help'' design and I think a ''Yellow Submarine'' design. 

Brutus did do some nice shirts I agree,  Trimfit was the name I think, no use to me now though   😉 

7 minutes ago, shinehead said:

The Beatles theme was retrospective and from only a few years ago it featured amongst other shirts a '' Help'' design and I think a ''Yellow Submarine'' design. 

Brutus did do some nice shirts I agree,  Trimfit was the name I think, no use to me now though   😉 

No nor me now I'm a 32 waist have to get the boots and gloves back on ,,, take care and god bless

1 hour ago, shinehead said:

What happened to the sewn in back pleat and hook on the back on the Bennies.? 

There also was a shirt called Jaytex that I longed for in a green check that I couldn't afford .

Ste

58 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

What happened to the sewn in back pleat and hook on the back on the Bennies.? 

There also was a shirt called Jaytex that I longed for in a green check that I couldn't afford .

Ste

I cannot remember Ben Sherman's having a tag on the breast pocket either in the early 70s and all mine I bought came in a stylish box which made the shirt feel as though you were buying something of class.

Those shirts are terrible ! The type of thing a student would wear to let you know he's a dick .Why don't they dig out the original pattern books and use those designs and styles . ?

A mate of mine still has a few of the original shirts from '70/'71. I seem to remember the box having a wood grain effect on it and If you listen to 'Skinhead Jamboree' by Symarip there's a line 'Ben Sherman shirt fifty nine and six' Just less than 3 quid which I thought was well expensive back then.

2 hours ago, shinehead said:

I cannot remember Ben Sherman's having a tag on the breast pocket either in the early 70s and all mine I bought came in a stylish box which made the shirt feel as though you were buying something of class.

You can still get them.Ben Sherman Heritage

Posted (edited)

In the late 1960s when the skinhead craze was going strong a clothes shop in our town had a source for Ben Sherman seconds.

Just minor imperfections but much cheaper than the regular price.

On one occasion the guy tipped me off when he had a new delivery coming in and gave me first refusal. I was like a kid in a sweet shop.

I took a few home and my Mum asked me to get her some to wear as blouses. Which I did.

I don't know if she was the only 40-something Mum in Britain walking round in Ben Shermans.

But if not she must have been in a very select club!

:):):):) 

Edited by MBarrett

received a Ben Sherman shirt as a present last year, I'm a large chest and it shrunk to medium on 1 cool wash, either that or I got fat quickly

Tacky shite . Makes me laugh really this whole mythical aspirational status of Ben Sherman back in the day we couldnt afford them . 

Most of the tasteless gimps that buy this crap wont have a Scooby 

As for being proud .....................nah 

5 hours ago, Mark S said:

Most of the tasteless gimps that buy this crap wont have a Scooby 

Not being familiar with the latest trends on the BDSM scene I'll have to take your word for that Mark. 😉

I hate this corporate piggy-backing stuff, and as for Ben Sherman clothing.......schmutter (as we say at White Hart Lane).

I think it's quite rude and inappropriate to call people (gimps) because they like to look smart and have a bit of nostalgia in their lives as I said earlier my mum and dad worked hard to bring us kids up and the provvy lady was a god send 

39 minutes ago, monny1916 said:

I think it's quite rude and inappropriate to call people (gimps) because they like to look smart and have a bit of nostalgia in their lives as I said earlier my mum and dad worked hard to bring us kids up and the provvy lady was a god send 

I think that Mark knows full well that gimps don’t wear vintage BS shirts...unless they did a latex version?

....and I wouldn’t take offence at anything posted on here mate, many of us are complete idiots. 😄

The original BS designs are classics, but the new stuff is complete tut imho.

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, monny1916 said:

Seriously :rolleyes:

Nowt wrong with button down shirts but these t shirts are awfull would you wear one ? 

On the subject of nostalgia its not what it used to be .🤪

$_86.JPG

Edited by Mark S

slightly off topic when my dear old mum was alive I bought what was at the time for me an expensive shirt with a kind of woven in squared design, I came home to a bollocking from mum God bless her, "I don't know where you bought that shirt but it's taken me an hour to get the creases out" I didn't   have the heart to explain, needless to say the shirt was ruined.

Just popped into Tkmaxx and rails full of 'Lambretta clothing' with 'northern soul' and fist logos all over it.

If the T shirts had been a fiver I might have bought a couple for slumming it in the garage/garden but at £10+ it's a no from me.

14 hours ago, steviehay said:

bring back cheese cloth

Couldn't help myself here.

I've got some early 70s Melody Makers in the loft which have got some great fashion ads in them.

Iconic styles but I'm not sure they would work too well on the changed body shapes of the last 45 years. :)

scan0002.jpg

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.