Pronunciation

Just a point or two that have always had me pondering,

Artist name pronunciation,If this topic has been covered before,Sorry

Herbie Goins is it as in "Going" or as in "Loins" or ??

Nabay was I believe a Lebanese singer and I've read somewhere that it is not "Narbay" so is it "Nay Bay" or could it be "Nah Bye" or ??

Bileo is that as in "Billy Oh" or could it be as in "Bye Leo" or ??

Any more out there ?

Thank you in advance

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I always think of Herbie Goins as "Goy-Inns". I think that's how people pronounced it, but nothing to say it's right or wrong, and could be one of the two ways you mentioned.

(Just noticed, my thoughts of "Goy-Inns" is the same as your thoughts of Loins as you mentioned).

One that most of us get wrong is Dana Valery. She's always referred to as "Val-Er-Ee", just like the forename Valerie would be. Hovever she pronunces her name as Dana "Va-Lairy".

Edited by Mick Holdsworth
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

" Get on Your Knees " Los Canarios? English Translation , The Canary 's. Spanish hit pronounced Can A Ree Os {in Spain you accentuate the vowel sounds!}.To cap it all the group came from Gran Canary Island ,named after the giant dogs not Birdies!

Also the perrenial Isleys and Elgins ? Is it Eyes Lee Bros, Iss,? or El Jins, and finally ZZ Hill and ZZ and Company do Yorkshire DJs introduce ,"Make Me Yours" and "Getting Ready For The Get Down " as Zed Zed.?  What a thoroughly Sensible Thread?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Played jack montgomery "dont turn your back on me" in my first half hour set last Saturday and someone came up to me when I stepped off the stage and asked me it I would play dearly be love ed in my second half hour😱😂baz 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Believe the Chalfontes are named after a street in Detroit. Chalfonte Street, not surprisingly.

Another Detroit girl group with a tough-to-pronounce name is the Perigents. I would naturally say "Pair-uh-jints," but there's a live intro on one of their 45s where the emcee calls them what sounds like "Parisians."

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/06/2018 at 11:40, grantdyche said:

Just a point or two that have always had me pondering,

Artist name pronunciation,If this topic has been covered before,Sorry

Herbie Goins is it as in "Going" or as in "Loins" or ??

Nabay was I believe a Lebanese singer and I've read somewhere that it is not "Narbay" so is it "Nay Bay" or could it be "Nah Bye" or ??

Bileo is that as in "Billy Oh" or could it be as in "Bye Leo" or ??

Any more out there ?

Thank you in advance

It is Nah-Bayyyy.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, weingarden said:

Believe the Chalfontes are named after a street in Detroit. Chalfonte Street, not surprisingly.

Another Detroit girl group with a tough-to-pronounce name is the Perigents. I would naturally say "Pair-uh-jints," but there's a live intro on one of their 45s where the emcee calls them what sounds like "Parisians."

Per-reee-Gents.  I thought they were a kiddie Boy group.  "Paris Gents".   Chalfonte Street. is pronounced "Shall-Fontt". The final e is silent en Francais.

Social source share

6 hours ago, weingarden said:

Steve Man-chuh or Mahn-chuh?

Harold BUR-ridge or Buh-RAZH?

Harold Buer-razh

Steve Mahn-chah  ¡El acento en Español, está en la síliba segundo al finál¡. ¡Como Don Quixote de La Mancha, y Don Juan Mancha¡

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, John Hart said:

" Get on Your Knees " Los Canarios? English Translation , The Canary 's. Spanish hit pronounced Can A Ree Os {in Spain you accentuate the vowel sounds!}.To cap it all the group came from Gran Canary Island ,named after the giant dogs not Birdies!

Also the perrenial Isleys and Elgins ? Is it Eyes Lee Bros, Iss,? or El Jins, and finally ZZ Hill and ZZ and Company do Yorkshire DJs introduce ,"Make Me Yours" and "Getting Ready For The Get Down " as Zed Zed.?  What a thoroughly Sensible Thread?

Zed. Zed. Hill!  I love it!  😜

Social source share

On 4 June 2018 at 21:25, the yank said:

I remember when I first heard this song and the radio dj said

"And that's Sade(pronounced as Sade) with "Hang On To Your Love".

I found a copy at a record store and told the clerk I really like this

Sayd song and he said "IT'S SHARDAY!!!!"

I pronounce it 'Sh-ite'. Dx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 04/06/2018 at 21:25, the yank said:

I remember when I first heard this song and the radio dj said

"And that's Sade(pronounced as Sade) with "Hang On To Your Love".

I found a copy at a record store and told the clerk I really like this

Sayd song and he said "IT'S SHARDAY!!!!"

I saw Sharday live at Ronnie Scotts before she became famous - she was really, really good.

Pete

Social source share

25 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

Dionne Warwick reportedly prefers her surname pronounced as War-wick.

I thought it was the other way around.

I alway thought her name was "Warrick", but an early typo on an ad, or record label meant her name was spelt "Warwick" and it just became the norm (Much like "Tomorrow Never Lies" inadvertently became "Tomorrow Never Dies").

Over here in UK, Warwick is pronounced Warrick anyway, but the US may pronounce it differently. Isn't there a Warwick in Maine , or Rhode Island ? How is that pronounced ?

Of course, it may be that Dionne, after the initial mistake, does actually pronounce her name "War-wick", much as you say.

Social source share

15 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I thought it was the other way around.

I alway thought her name was "Warrick", but an early typo on an ad, or record label meant her name was spelt "Warwick" and it just became the norm (Much like "Tomorrow Never Lies" inadvertently became "Tomorrow Never Dies").

Over here in UK, Warwick is pronounced Warrick anyway, but the US may pronounce it differently. Isn't there a Warwick in Maine , or Rhode Island ? How is that pronounced ?

Of course, it may be that Dionne, after the initial mistake, does actually pronounce her name "War-wick", much as you say.

Definitely War Wick is how she pronounces it, Tony Blackburn tells the story of how she corrected him every time he plays one of her records.  

Social source share

1 hour ago, Philippe said:

Even the English ones ? I didn't know this !

As far as I know, The Americans are the only people who pronounce that letter "Z".  In German it is Zett, Dutch zet, Canadian and British English, "Zed", Frisian "Zet", Flemish, Afrikaans, etc.

Social source share

8 hours ago, chalky said:

Definitely War Wick is how she pronounces it, Tony Blackburn tells the story of how she corrected him every time he plays one of her records.  

Most people in USA don't know British pronunciations.  They think Houston is HHHHHouston, when it is "Euston", and Warwick is WarWWWickkk, when it is "Warrick". 

Social source share

Guest MBarrett
10 hours ago, Peter99 said:

I saw Sharday live at Ronnie Scotts before she became famous - she was really, really good.

Pete

She went to my school Peter.

And that was not in some exotic clime - but Clacton-on-Sea in Essex. Honest! Her Mum was a nurse (possibly midwife) in the town for a while.

Sade was a few years younger so I didn't know her personally but I believe my sister did in passing.

Please everyone be kind about her - she's the only claim to fame our school ever had! :):)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!