Registering a Song with BMI / ASCAP -- question

Hoping someone here who understands the intricacies of the music biz can answer this query ....

As I understand it, the best way to ensure payment for your recorded work is to register any & all songs you have written with BMI / ASCAP (in the US) or similar. If you register your compositions, then royalties due when a song is recorded / released / re-released will flow back to you. Also, when the track is played on radio / in a club or bar / used in a TV show or movie, you will be due payments.

So for anyone who has written a song / songs it would seem to make sense that they register that song & then keep in touch with the organisation that you've registered it with (at least keep them updated on your contact details). Then if a reissue company comes looking, you can be traced via say BMI and a deal set up.

... BUT ... having checked on BMI & ASCAP on numerous occasions, info on a previously registered song & it's writer is (many times) missing ... even when you can do a quick check via Youtube or google to discover your old composition is now an anthem somewhere in the world. Doesn't make sense to me.

TWO QUICK EXAMPLES ...

LEDYARD WILLIE HOPKINS was the leader and song writer for Dallas based Love Company. He registered "Love Tempo" with BMI and his publishing company (Pocket Money Music) when it was released on a SRO 45 back in 1980  ... the cut eventually went big and so he re-released the track on his own LCM record label (Love Company Music) ... but even though he knows he has an in demand track, he still let his details at BMI lapse. So they have him registred as a composer with them, but they have no song details for his work or contact info for him.

BACK IN THE 60's / 70's ... EDWIN STARR (CHARLES HATCHER) was a prolific song writer ... he signed up with BMI and registered many of his songs with them. This must have brought him a decent income stream down the years. AND YET, when you check his BMI entry, there are dozens of songs listed but not one titled "JUST A LITTLE PART OF YOUR LIFE" ... easy then, he obviously didn't write a song with that title. BUT he did and he cut it on the Spinners at Motown ... if you're registering songs that you've written, why not register them all & not just some ..... ....   ....     CONFUSED OF ABINGDON

Anyone explain what goes on in the strange world of music publishing ???

... an extract from Edwin's BMI listing .. 

EdwinStarrSongs.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

It’s down to the songwriter to register tracks to royalty agencies around the world and keep their contact details up to date. Sign to a publisher and you get an advance on royalties and they chase the royalty agencies for you, and you only need to keep contact with the local publisher you’re signed to. A good one has the right system in place to collect royalties you may miss so although you are losing a % to the publisher then net amount you receive is more, and all at the same time in your royalty statement from them. It seems complicated but it’s not really,

cheers Sutty

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Roburt said:

BACK IN THE 60's / 70's ... EDWIN STARR (CHARLES HATCHER) was a prolific song writer ... he signed up with BMI and registered many of his songs with them. This must have brought him a decent income stream down the years. AND YET, when you check his BMI entry, there are dozens of songs listed but not one titled "JUST A LITTLE PART OF YOUR LIFE" ... easy then, he obviously didn't write a song with that title. BUT he did and he cut it on the Spinners at Motown ...

With Edwin Starr, as he moved over to UK, did he register with PRS ? (I haven't been able to check) I see his later Happy Radio is on the BMI list so maybe he didn't join PRS, but if he did it may explain a lack of some songs. Just a thought.

I'm struggling to find any reference to "JUST A LITTLE PART OF YOUR LIFE", Edwin Starr or the Spinners - Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Mick

• Up vote 1
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

I'm struggling to find any reference to "JUST A LITTLE PART OF YOUR LIFE", Edwin Starr or the Spinners - Can you point me in the right direction?

Cheers
Mick

Ady would know the info much better than me (but he's busy this week) ...

I'm led to believe that the track will be on a new CD out soon -- 'While The City Sleeps' another Motown compilation from Ace Records. Seems Edwin wrote the song & then produced a version of it on the Spinners (probably around 69/70) ... guess he would also have cut a version himself. Isn't there an on-line site that lists all the details of every Motown track cut (artist / track title / date / producer ETC).

Seems the title track of the CD is also by the Spinners as if you do a google search this comes up for a YOUTUBE clip ...  

While The City Sleeps  ·  Spinners -- Motown Unreleased 1965 ℗ 2015 Motown Records  Released on: 2015-12-11 Producer: Marc Gordon Producer: Hal Davis Composer: Bill Page ... ....  .... but I can't find which CD the track was included on & the YOUTUBE vid won't play in the UK.

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Here in the UK you register the song with the PRS (Performing Rights Society) you have to pay an annual subscription to maintain your membership.

You then, hopefully get a royalty cheque every so often if it's getting plays.

At the end of the performing spectrum that I'm at, if you're performing your own compositions that are registered with PRS in licensed premises you will, subject to your PRS area rep spot-checking your set-list on a regular basis (which they will do for a paid-up member) you get a royalty every time you perform your compositions.

For those unaware this is how you make a proper wage from the small-time scene. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!