What, you’ve never heard this?!!!

Len

What? You’ve never heard this?!!! :ohmy:

Following on from threads - ‘Some history on this one please’ (Bobbie Smith - Walk On Into My Heart’) & ‘How The Hell Is This Not Massive’

Was thinking about those youngun’s on the scene / or people who have had a long break, what tune you think has ‘had its day’, yet if you thought hard, how good would it sound to these ‘new ears’? (As it did to you all those years ago)

A tune that sprung to my mind (For some strange reason) was ‘Doug Banks - I Just Kept On Dancing’. The first time I heard this, I was ‘in love’…..then I hated it, and still not 100% sure if I’m ready for another ‘fix’ of it - It’s presently gathering dust on my shelf (Along with ‘Bobbie Smith') But what would people think of it who missed it?

Thoughts on above most welcome, along with other choices - Think hard folks! :wink:

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

'Doug Banks - I Just Kept On Dancing'

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Yes! You just reminded me of a wonderful sound - I'll just sell the other side :D

Here's another -

'Jimmie Raye - Philly Dog Around The World' (I had this 'on loop' on a tape) I couldn't get enough of it! :wink:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, LEN said:

Didn't know this one, personally.

The delivery of those vocals is awful, they sound like a bad imitation of a Kurt Harris record in my opinion..definitely not my cup of tea. 

To my ears the b side was almost as bad as the a side ,  I'm sorry to report.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

We get the Doug Banks, a couple of our DJs play it both on the wireless and at venues, people love it, both as a loved comfy oldie and those who are new love it!

My lass does this a lot, introduces an oldie that many consider finished, and they go down so well with the new crowd to whom it's a newie, then the experienced crowd come in and say 'Of course I've always known and loved this myself' LoL, it's great to see!

A great record is like an old friend, sometimes it gets on yer t*** and another time it's a welcome friend, like an old incontinent dog that you still adore even though it's a pita!

Good example was the Bobbie, now the Shakers, that is one that I'm sure many consider finished, but what a sound! I don't think the better records will ever lose their appeal, an individual may be bored with hearing it often, but it'll still always be good, no matter how bored with it you are.

Often a tune benefits from being rested for a while, as someone else has eloquently written already! Excellent stuff! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

49 minutes ago, Scotters said:

Len, you might want to check your shelves as I think you sold me your Bobbie Smith several years ago! 

I might be imagining it but I think you then asked me what it was when I played it out somewhere a year or two later😆👍

Can't remember doing that Steve, but it wouldn't surprise me! You're correct, I did sell it to you.

I've been known to offer to buy my own records when someone else is playing my records around my house :huh: :D

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest woolie mark
On 06/06/2018 at 22:28, LEN said:

What an awful noise.  Reminds me of a time when any old shite got played by certain people just because it was from the 60s.

I don’t like Roy Orbison records either, which is exactly what this sounds like to me.  Nothing to do with soul music imho.

Social source share

Esther Phillips - Catch me I'm falling. Hadn't heard it for some 30 years. Someone asked me to play it at a gig, I didn't have it with me then,  but dug it out from the archives when I got home and played it. It literally blew me away and now get's played now at every gig I do.

Pure magic!

IMG_20180608_135526.jpg

Edited by Northern Soul UK
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Northern Soul UK said:

Esther Phillips - Catch me I'm falling. Hadn't heard it for some 30 years. Someone asked me to play it at a gig, I didn't have it with me then,  but dug it out from the archives when I got home and played it. It literally blew me away and now get's played now at every gig I do.

Pure magic!

IMG_20180608_135526.jpg

Well thanks for the clip! :wicked:

:thumbup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I remember playing 'Have Some Everybody' at a one of Pip's New Years Eve Allnighter's in Carlisle and George Hunt coming over, blown away but having no idea what it was (I like George and all credit to him admitting it)... Conversely I also remember talking to Terry Davies and enthusing about 'Give The Man A Chance' (Soul Twins) which he'd just played and which I'd always loved far more than QCA and him being SERIOUSLY impressed I knew it, saying he found it on a tape and it took months of playing it to 'loads of heavyweight collectors' before he found someone who knew it - I kept my thoughts to myself : )
Dx

Edited by DaveNPete
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

i think you should be constantly evolving, revisiting  and listening to new tracks and differant parts of the scene some of which  i for one  used to dismiss but now love. others i now think ......why did i like that ????????????....or buy it!!!.grrrr...........i liked anything some nites lol:wicked: open the door and look inside you may be suprised....but if you still dont like a track on rehearing ........... you aint lost anything...........ez

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!