Unissued Court Davis Acetate

A few years ago I got this Court Davis Virtue acetate with By The Time I Get To Phoenix on. 

I have always liked the story about the Jimmy Webb song that he wrote about his relationship with Linda Ronstadt sister, he also wrote MacArther Park about the same relationship and how on hearing the song his friend Richard  Harris said he wanted to sing it. 

I remember a few years ago Courts brother was on the site. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cF7U3fjJRNk

Edited by Prophonics 2029
Social source share

I've stirred up a hornests nest with the thread on Dora Hall, so don't want to get any flack here .... BUT ....

About 90% of the time, I can't stand soul versions of pop / country/ rock songs   ++   By The Time I Get To Phoenix has never been a song I like ...

... so can't say I am taken much with Court's version. Nothing against him or his vocal style, I just don't like the song.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

There is a hell of a lot of common ground between soul and country, both are cultural, both deal with love, loss, hardship, joy. Both have emotion, anger, I personally adore both and am a big fan of country, along with RnR, Blues etc, country has been good to me in my career as a stage musician.

I'm off to see if I can hear this record!

Eta: This is great! The list of artists that have done this one is awesome, Sinatra, Stubbs, Gaye, just to name a couple! Posting it for future reference! Not a soul dancer but very much soul imo! 

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

I can’t believe anyone doesn’t like Jimmy Webb’s songs, that’s like not liking Burt Bacharach songs.

I don’t think Jimmy Webb would like being labelled a country composer btw, he wrote most of his well known songs to be performed as ballads.  It was Glen Campbell and his wreckin’ crew pals who arranged them as country/pop songs.

I don’t like the Court Davis version though, so I must be a see you next tuesday too then. 😄

Social source share

3 hours ago, woolie mark said:

I can’t believe anyone doesn’t like Jimmy Webb’s songs, that’s like not liking Burt Bacharach songs.

Well said.

It's a +1 from me.

The instrumental break that kicks in at 00.45  is absolutely glorious .

Edited by Soulsides
Social source share

10 hours ago, bo diddley said:

I've always thought the Jimmy Webb was the same as J. Webb who wrote Shane Martin's "I Need You". Jim Webb also released his version. I may be wrong and would be happy to be corrected.

shane.jpg

Jimmy has a strange delivery in his song..like, I know he wrote them but takes them in a different direction to what's been covered by others.. So I think it is him on these two tracks... Totally out of sink but then it's his raw emotion... I can relate to from being in a relationship as dangerous as the one he describes. 😹 😹 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest woolie mark
51 minutes ago, El Corol said:

This is the version you want:

That’s superb, I’ve never heard that before.

I wonder if there are soul versions of Galveston?  There must be because it was a huge anti Vietnam war anthem in it’s day.

Social source share

On 07/06/2018 at 02:06, Prophonics 2029 said:

A few years ago I got this Court Davis Virtue acetate with By The Time I Get To Phoenix on. 

I have always liked the story about the Jimmy Webb song that he wrote about his relationship with Linda Ronstadt sister, he also wrote MacArther Park about the same relationship and how on hearing the song his friend Richard  Harris said he wanted to sing it. 

I remember a few years ago Courts brother was on the site. 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=cF7U3fjJRNk

I must have missed when Court's brother visited this site 🙁 so, after listening to 'Phoenix'  I gather Court is white? I'd never have guessed years ago when I heard 'Try To Think...' but did start to wonder when I found a copy of this 45 on a boot sale....

court-davis-my-words-kresla.thumb.jpg.984c6d566e55a598269e9cf6b08c23cf.jpg

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!