The Latin stuff that seems to be everywhere.

3 hours ago, still diggin said:

Perhaps the reason it was described as latin is because they were Mexicans from east LA. I can hear a lot of latin in that record. Even that opening brass known to every man and his dog on the northern scene is played in a key and style associated with latin music not black american.

Similar vein to this, that latin Tijuana Brass influence is in a lot of soul, Tempests, Tomangoes spring immediately to mind but there are loads, like this one. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Hi, The YanK

In fact, "Salsoul Records" started as a reformulation of the previous label Mericana Records owned by the same Kayre Brothers (they have worked with the most important "salsa" and "latin" artists in the NY scene) and the first realises on the label Salsoul were by Grupo Folclórico Experimental Neoyorquino, Manny Oquendo & Libre, Joe Bataan and Cándido Camero. Some tracks by the Salsoul Orchestra as "Ritzy Mambo" sounds totally like a Fania or Cotique record. There's also some productions by Vincent Montana (RIP) from these same years as the "Cross Over" album by Fania All - Stars or his more "recently" collaborations with Tito Puente or La India:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, josep manuel concernau robles said:

Hi, The YanK

In fact, "Salsoul Records" started as a reformulation of the previous label Mericana Records owned by the same Kayre Brothers (they have worked with the most important "salsa" and "latin" artists in the NY scene) and the first realises on the label Salsoul were by Grupo Folclórico Experimental Neoyorquino, Manny Oquendo & Libre, Joe Bataan and Cándido Camero. Some tracks by the Salsoul Orchestra as "Ritzy Mambo" sounds totally like a Fania or Cotique record. There's also some productions by Vincent Montana (RIP) from these same years as the "Cross Over" album by Fania All - Stars or his more "recently" collaborations with Tito Puente or La India:

Hi Jose-

Thanks for the info> My early Salsoul releases don't mention anything about Mericana

they just show "A division of Caytronics- a Cayre Industries Company". This release of "La Botella"

on Epic does show the connection though.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, the yank said:

Hi Jose-

Thanks for the info> My early Salsoul releases don't mention anything about Mericana

they just show "A division of Caytronics- a Cayre Industries Company". This release of "La Botella"

on Epic does show the connection though.

I knows that the Kayre Brothers were the owners of Mericana Records because this is explained in the linner notes of the Charly Records / Salsoul double CD "Salsoul Essentials Vol. 2". I have recently acquired some other Charly / salsoul CD's by acts like Double Exposure, Eddie Holman and Cándido's "Anthology". The instrumental "La Botella" by Joe Bataan features the great sax player David Sanborn when he was very young and little known (and I read that is uncredited!). In the late 70's-first 80's the only vynils I have by Salsoul were "Let It Snow" by Bunny Sigler (includes a masterpiece of fine soul, Marvin Gaye soundalike's "Since The Day I First Saw You") and Salsoul Orchestra "Magic Journey" with the jazzy and latin-feel "Runnaway".

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Lets not forget the Tex- mex connection to our various associated scenes as well. In fact the 45 by Joe Jama 'My life' on the optimum logo was one of the most wanted and biggest northern tracks several years back. With groups like Sunny and the sunliners 'Should I take you home' on Keylock , Dimas111 ' I won't love you again' on Clown being firm favorites with the low- rider Scene. While it could be argued that in many respects the latin influence on the tracks mentioned is minimal, it is without doubt a hybrid of mexican and black american music.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Used to play the Joe Battan latin version at the Hacie on a Saturday night. 2000 people [including coaches of northern types without a nighter to go to from Stoke] Good link record beteewn the 60's latin and the left field disco.

dean

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 hours ago, Steve Lane said:

Majestics is definitely Latin, one of my intro`s to my 3 track Latin phase in my set. Along with........

Definately a Latin influence but not something I would class as strictly Latin as it is aimed at a broader market.  Same with many mentioned that have a Latin influence but not strictly Latin. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

• 2 months later...
Guest woolie mark
On 15/06/2018 at 08:06, chalky said:

Definately a Latin influence but not something I would class as strictly Latin as it is aimed at a broader market.  Same with many mentioned that have a Latin influence but not strictly Latin. 

Sorry mate, but Majestics is definitely latin.  I would categorise it as "chicano soul"....the horns are so latin that they're nearly mariachi! 

This is chicano too (one of my all time favourite northern soul records).  I always used to ask Keith Money to play it at the 100 club, because I knew he'd have it in his play box.

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

Along with Boogaloo Assasins which has been a fav since release and got so much attention as a then unknown/new release these two also work well for me when played out ...

Pete Terrace ‘no no no ‘

and Monguito Santamaria ‘hey sister ‘

Edited by andybellwood
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!