Bobby Smith

Discovery, venues, first plays, DJs etc...

My lass doesn't recall it from WC and Ms at all, I first heard early 80s, my lass knows it well and used to ask for it at Keele 80s (probably our Keith) however she can't put a finger on how/where/when she knew it from. If it's not a fave please no hate mail. 

Social source share

• Replies 106
  • Views 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Guest Spain pete

Massive on the so called popcorn scene according to a Belgium acquaintance of mine , lovely atmospheric record , top ten for me . 🎶👍👌🎶

Social source share

Its a well know oldies now surely.  Gary Rushbrooke spin, may have been back end of Wigan, certainly early 80s post wigan, Stafford, Oddfellows etc. Would never have been played in Mr M’s as it wasn’t an oldie then and totally wrong kinda record. 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Great tune, not heard it out for years, hence some may not know it - That's the case for a lot of those 'used to get played' tunes. As you say, surprising sometimes, but makes sense if a tune has been 'shelved' as they say.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Just now, LEN said:

Great tune, not heard it out for years, hence some may not know it - That's the case for a lot of those 'used to get played' tunes. As you say, surprising sometimes, but makes sense if a tune has been 'shelved' as they say.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

Well it's enjoying a huge boost in interest at the moment, thanks to my lass, it's going huge with all the DJs and folks we know. For me it's certainly been around for the entirety of my soul existence!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

My lass has been championing it on all the fb soul forums and internet radio shows, it's enjoying a huge boost in popularity on the 21st C scene. Like we've all said a huge oldie for us, a recent discovery for a lot of newcomers, who absolutely adore it, and rightly so, it's superb! Thanks for the input folks!

Social source share

Known this for years...thought everyone did....it's gone up in price the last few years so it's collectable to a good few...great record imo....kind regards Rob.

p.s...it must be you south west lot!!!!.. (It's my favourite place the south west so don't take offence!!)

Edited by Lionelonthevinyl
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

23 minutes ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Known this for years...thought everyone did....it's gone up in price the last few years so it's collectable to a good few...great record imo....kind regards Rob.

p.s...it must be you south west lot!!!!.. (It's my favourite place the south west so don't take offence!!)

It is!

My lass has turned them onto it and they're going mad for it! A very welcome thing. My lass knows her onions and still one of the prettiest girls on the scene!

Rob I don't take offense, the only thing that gets me down is people saying negative stuff about records, no need for it imo, positive or keep stum, that's how I play things, wish everyone did the same! 

Get down here, two great weekenders this year St Ives and Newquay, St Ives July sold out in January but Newquay in November still available!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Will be in Devon October I think, but unfortunately my wife finds us all bonkers being so mad about the music we love!! And if you get it your addicted!! As I posted earlier I never judge (one of my better points)...long haired, shaved haired, scruffy bugger, mods what ever...we are all into it for the music, it's an amazing scene I think, got someone once telling me about the stuff he had on tic-tac,,(ric-tic) bless him..never gonna cause me any bother, nice chap really...thank you..Rob

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Will be in Devon October I think, but unfortunately my wife finds us all bonkers being so mad about the music we love!! And if you get it your addicted!! As I posted earlier I never judge (one of my better points)...long haired, shaved haired, scruffy bugger, mods what ever...we are all into it for the music, it's an amazing scene I think, got someone once telling me about the stuff he had on tic-tac,,(ric-tic) bless him..never gonna cause me any bother, nice chap really...thank you..Rob

Devon? Wash your mouth out! 😉

Good man! It takes allsorts to make a soul brew!

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Rob. You say it's gone up in price mate  the last few years.. Remember it being something like £80 for years and normally on white demos . Think the last one I saw recently was £150. . I have only just been enlightened regarding the popcorn scene and the demand for this sort of record. 

Steve

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Winsford Soul said:

and normally on white demos .

Where the WDs with red print and others with black print? Also a boot with black print? Or was there a boot of the issue on vinyl?

Edited by simon t
Social source share

2 hours ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

It is yes, she started in 1959 with The Dream girls.

Yes.  The Dream Girls on Big Top, and Bobbie, solo on American Arts, were a Detroit group produced (and managed?) by Harry Balk.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, RobbK said:

Yes.  The Dream Girls on Big Top, and Bobbie, solo on American Arts, were a Detroit group produced (and managed?) by Harry Balk.

Robb ... been meaning to ask you for a  long time now ... how old were you when  your photo was taken ?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Rob. You say it's gone up in price mate  the last few years.. Remember it being something like £80 for years and normally on white demos . Think the last one I saw recently was £150. . I have only just been enlightened regarding the popcorn scene and the demand for this sort of record. 

Steve

1st saw it Steve for about £35/40....thats when it came to my attention anyway. I'm from the midlands so makes sense it was played at Leicester (before my time) and maybe known up here more than elsewhere earlier?? Thank you....Rob

• Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Steve

Been 80-120 for a long time.  Loads of copies about. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Guest MBarrett
23 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Nice - never heard that side. Is that a beat ballad? It is to me!

P

Miss Stronghearted

A gentle swing to the beat - so I think another one that the Popcorn folk would go for.

All in all a nice track. IMHO. :)

Edited by MBarrett
Social source share

Ok some of you  are semi right it was first played by both Gary and guy at the tudor court  in draycott derby in 1982 twas a cold winter's nite remember it well as I walked the 4 miles from  Stapleford to get there as buses weren't running :-):-) 

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 01/05/2018 at 18:57, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Just found this, captioned: Bobbie Smith at The Apollo 1960.

_-Ffel-zccOupPgIwYGbJ4g9ZQo@539x655.jpg

That's a pic taken by the official photographer at the Apollo. they always did them like this, sometimes just featuring the one act, sometimes 3 / 4 on the same bill. I always assumed these were taken on the first night (Friday) of a week long booking at the theatre & then sold to attendees every other night the act/s were on. ...  

Another from her ... 

BobbieSmithAd.jpg

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, JoeSoap said:

I always remember rumours that the white demo of this was a boot. One of them is it?/isn't it? debates that went on. Did that ever get resolved?

From what I have seen it was booted on vinyl, OVO will be styrene. Only what I've read here in old threads.

Social source share

When was the bootleg pressed? And was it done for the UK Soul Scene or the Belgian Popcorn scene?

From what I recall the boot had white label/black writing just like the white demo but was missing the line on the label and the "not for sale" etc part.

Social source share

10 minutes ago, Benji said:

When was the bootleg pressed? And was it done for the UK Soul Scene or the Belgian Popcorn scene?

From what I recall the boot had white label/black writing just like the white demo but was missing the line on the label and the "not for sale" etc part.

There is an original on styrene of that design if memory serves, boot is vinyl?

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!