Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.

Mal C

Buen Camino!

7 hours ago, Mal C said:

I mentioned on here a few months ago that I’d be walking the Camino Frances to Santiago in June, we’ll here I am at Heathrow about to board a flight to Madrid, then overland by train to Leon, then on foot for 350k... ! 

unfortunatly im short my walking pelligrino, my wife Liza as she tore her Achilles a month back playing tennis, so I’m on my Tod and as I no longer use fb or what’s app or Instagram, soul source is it !!!!

Look out for my daily posts and a pic on this thread, lots of Soul music as I walk! 

Buen Camino ! 

250DF5AA-F063-4B32-908B-C834AF80CDFA.jpeg

Great effort. What’s your expected daily tally, Mal?

7 hours ago, Mal C said:

Buen Camino ! 

Good luck Mal, I'm sure you won't be walking solo for long, look forward to your progress reports and a picture of you at the wine fountain if it's on your part of the route

Had never heard of this Pilgrim trail until I watched a film called The Way starring Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez, worth a watch when you get back Mal,

Hope it goes well for you and looking forward to your posts :thumbsup:

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Twoshoes said:

Good luck Mal, I'm sure you won't be walking solo for long, look forward to your progress reports and a picture of you at the wine fountain if it's on your part of the route

I’m really jealous, would love to do this.

Don’t stay too long at the free wine fountain!

Good luck mate, look forward to your updates

Edited by woolie mark

Hi Steve, Just plug in at any Cafe or Albergue, they all offer free wi fi and a charge... no solar needed..

as for data I have the 3 all you can eat deal, my phone is out of contract so it’s £16 per month unlimited everything across Europe & 4 Gig data allowance, which is plenty if you utilise wi fi & turn off your data roaming.

Mal 🙂 

Posted (edited)

Dia Quatro / Day 4 

un lugar de mucha importancia”

place of much significance”

A very big day today, the climb yesterday was now in reverse, all the way down to Ponferreda making today’s hike 27k. 

First stop was ‘Cruz de Fero’ where I laid my stone and said a few words for my family, Liza, Sam & Nia, all of our friends in España and a special word for our friend Beryl who is currently ill in France.

after leaving CDF I hiked straight on the ridge way leading over the mountains, and was there views to be had on the early morning sun? absolutely stunning!  I don’t normally play music when the scenery is good however John Martyn’s - Small hours was perfect just on low... 

The way down can only be described as savage, track was basically a rock run, and as I always attack hills I went for it big time, calves and thighs are gonna hurt tonight! 

Having reached the town of Molinaseca, quick pit stop get my shoes off and feet in the river, and onto the last 8k into Ponfereda. 

I’m now at an albergue called “San Nicolas de Flue” it’s attached to a church of the same name and is ‘donotivo’ by donation run albergue, clean, very well run by volunteers from all over the world. 

Tomorrow is another long one, the next big town is Villafranca del Bierzo 26k, but I like to walk through the big towns and pick smaller places with an albergue, so I’ll do a short hop 4/5k to Pereje. 

Lots of pictures from Cruz and the mountains, and a few from last night, it’s was great to meet Dana and Samuel from Germany, met Samuel on the way up walking in bare feet, crazy man, Sophie from Vancouver Island in BC, and Mia a pre med student from the States, also a guy I can’t remember the name of from North Carolina, I mentioned the soul music from there and we all got a Shagg dance lesson in front of the albergue, it was a scream!! 

Also bumped into the Dutchman again, everybody has heard about him, and I have to say I love bumping into him, that said his journey is different than mine and walking with the kindness of others to provide means he’s never gonna pay for a nights stop, I nipped to the loo and he was gone. 

More tomorrow, hasta pronto

Buen Camino  🙂

Edited by Mal C

On ‎15‎/‎06‎/‎2018 at 14:41, Mal C said:

Day 3 / Dia tres pm...

ok did really well walked past Rabanal del Camino to a place called Foncebadon... in the mountains now, great views, showered, washing done and on the line, haveing a nice Cerveza in the albergue...€11 Euro for the night plus breakfast... not bad at all.

Cruz de Fero first thing tomorrow, as I’ve said the highest point and a place you lay a stone, and if you want ask for a wish, or say something that’s needed to be said... good spiritual exercise, I just need to think of something worthy...

Buenos tardes

mal

E47D507C-7327-45DE-877B-B48B3F3AD574.jpeg

F8498950-A4D9-4784-849B-359D92370C7F.jpeg

Is that a Harris Hawk?  I've flown a few hawks and falcons, but never a Harris Hawk

Brilliant thread Mal and so good you're not just posting pics of the countryside but including the people you are meeting on the way, loving the daily diary, the threads giving me itchy feet but still only six weeks or so into recovery from my heart bypass, walking boots are sat gathering dust...…🙁

I really Appreciate the feedback, thank you 🙂 and I’m  really Sorry to hear about your bypass maybe look up for the last final 100k from Sarria in the future? 

Mal

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Sorry to hear about your bypass maybe look up for the last final 100k from Sarria in the future? 

Cheers Mal, fingers crossed for walking in the future, not going into too much detail but my health problems go further than the bypass sadly though I am hopeful the problem I have with my lungs can be sorted, appointment in July,  re-hab assessment from bypass tomorrow.

37 minutes ago, Twoshoes said:

Cheers Mal, fingers crossed for walking in the future, not going into too much detail but my health problems go further than the bypass sadly though I am hopeful the problem I have with my lungs can be sorted, appointment in July,  re-hab assessment from bypass tomorrow.

Good luck to you sir, I don’t actually know your name, only two shoes....?  lol  of have I bought records off you, sounds familiar ? 

“I don’t know Spanish, I’m Catalonian” - ha ha, what a liar....won't speak Spanish more like.  I've spent a lot of time in the Catalan region of France and used to occasionally cross the border to shop for the things that are a lot cheaper in Spain and so I do kind of get the Catalan nationalist thing a little bit.  I certainly find it emotional when I come across a memorial for what the Catalans suffered as a result of the civil war or when I see historic photographs of Republican refugees escaping across the Pyranees on foot (only for the French Government to intern them in concentration camps on arrival).  I think a lot of Spanish people would be happy to see an independent Catalonia, they just don't want them to take Barcelona with them, LOL! 

I'm really enjoying this thread a lot Malcolm, thanks for sharing.

23 hours ago, Mal C said:

have I bought records off you, sounds familiar

No Mal I've never sold you any records, Twoshoes was a name I used on a dating site many years ago ,used it ever since on poetry sites etc.

4 hours ago, Mal C said:

I walked two or so kilometres and then it hit me, as if yesterday’s excursion changed something, I feel free

I know exactly that feeling of freedom Mal though mine was slightly different  as I didn't have a wife waiting back home, it is a great feeling, I holidayed in Croatia four years ago, I was supposed to go with my partner at the time but the relationship ended so I went on my own, first time going solo for the whole holiday, I'd done singles walking holidays on Menorca but that was the first time I spent a week away actually on my own, sat high on a mountain on my penultimate day the realisation dawned just how much I was enjoying myself and how in the future I could quite happily travel alone. It was also on that holiday I realised I had feelings for my now fiancé which over the months following my return slowly built to what we have now. 

Some fabulous photos on your latest post.

On 19/06/2018 at 02:04, woolie mark said:

“I don’t know Spanish, I’m Catalonian” - ha ha, what a liar....won't speak Spanish more like.  I've spent a lot of time in the Catalan region of France and used to occasionally cross the border to shop for the things that are a lot cheaper in Spain and so I do kind of get the Catalan nationalist thing a little bit.  I certainly find it emotional when I come across a memorial for what the Catalans suffered as a result of the civil war or when I see historic photographs of Republican refugees escaping across the Pyranees on foot (only for the French Government to intern them in concentration camps on arrival).  I think a lot of Spanish people would be happy to see an independent Catalonia, they just don't want them to take Barcelona with them, LOL! 

I'm really enjoying this thread a lot Malcolm, thanks for sharing.

Los españoles amamos Cataluña y a los catalanes, al igual que a los gallegos, los andaluces, los vascos y de cualquier otra región. 

La guerra civil fue dura y cruel para TODOS los españoles. Siente pena por todos ellos en esa época y no sólo por una región. Mis abuelos Castellanos, fueron perseguidos por la Dictadura. En Castilla se habla el Castellano, llamado tambien Español.

Los politicos nacionalistas catalanes están jugando al escondite y aprovechando las políticas independentistas para engañar a su población y así poder controlarla más fácilmente para sus intereses económicos corruptos. 

Cataluña siempre se sintió española hasta que les obligaron a estudiar falsa historia en las escuelas y les impusieron el catalan por la fuerza (prueba del adoctrinamiento que sufre cataluña) y casi han prohibido el uso del español. Y todo por la fuerza. La gente que quiere hablar español allí (más de la mayoría) se siente discriminada y a veces maltratada. Eso no es Democracia. La lengua oficial y común de este país es el Español. Y todos los ciudadanos están obligados a aprenderla, y también tienen la libertad de utilizar sus otras lenguas.

Los gobiernos democráticos, después de la dictadura, quisieron restaurar y promover las diferentes lenguas habladas en España (catalán, valenciano, mallorquín, vasco, gallego) pues es riqueza para un país. Todas las regiones españolas (o comunidades autónomas como ahora se denominan) tienen amplios derechos y libertades. Pero nunca la libertad para romper con la ley y dar un golpe de estado por el interés de “unos pocos” que sienten esa especie de “emocionante superioridad” al denominarse así mismos “catalanes”.

Un pais no se divide porque una minoria así lo quiera. Un país es el resultado de las voluntades conjuntas de TODOS los ciudadanos en consenso, sin discriminación ni por raza, ni por género ni por lengua hablada ni por nada.

Cataluña tiene nacionalistas Y NO nacionalistas. Que quede claro. Los nacionalistas de Cataluña (que no son la mayoría) no pueden ni tienen el derecho de decidir por los que no estan de acuerdo con esa doctrina.

Este conflicto no es sobre Cataluña vs España. Es más bien entre ciudadanos nacionalistas de Cataluña y ciudadanos NO nacionalistas de Cataluña.

Los políticos nacionalistas han creado un conflicto serio que está dividiendo a familias y amigos. Es un grave error. Y estos políticos son los más corruptos de toda España. Ya han salido muchos casos de corrupción a la luz.... y siguen saliendo.

Cataluña nunca sera un país porque nunca lo fue y porque sus ciudadanos catalanes no están de acuerdo en ser independientes. Siempre fue una región. Ni siquiera fue un Reino en la Edad Media.

El gobierno Español ha invertido en esa comunidad y los resultados económicos de la misma pertenecen a gobierno de España, como en todas las demás comunidades de nuestro país.

If you do not understand I can write it in English 🙂

We all love Calalonia. We all have family and friends there. We don’t love ignorance.

Edited by Reyes Mfdz

On 18/06/2018 at 18:24, Mal C said:

Dia Sais / Day six

No quise hacer eso, diablos, sólo lo hice”.

” I didnt mean to do that, hell I just did !” 

Before I dive in, I want to just state, walking as dawn is coming up is an absolute pleasure! I love it, you simply cannot beat it, if you get chance this summer, get your walking boots on and get out there! 

Let’s get the kilometros out of the way, yesterday’s plan was to leave early from Trabadelo and canter into Las Herrerias or La Faba ready for the big climb. I was in Vega de Valcarce by 8am, about 8k so pushed on, my two planned destinations came and went, I climbed all the way upto ‘O Cebreiro’ by noon, that’s 20.5k.

Up there I bumped into some old friends, Frederica and Valeria from Italy, the pentionistas from Madrid rocked up, and I saw Paola from Holland who was the very first Pilgrim I met 6 days ago, great to see her; everybody was talking about an albergue in Fonfria, so we all staggered our departure and set off.

Some great pictures from the mountains below, this place really is stunning but boy is it hot after 1pm, pretty unbearable to walk in to be honest so you need to start at dawn, preferably before. 

Met a Professor from Kansas on the way up a hill, stopped and chatted, then when I got to the top, I met another ! Laughs obviously walking together, really nice folk. 

Now I’ve made Spain my home this past year, and I’ve made big efforts to learn Castellano and try to learn about Spain as a whole. Most of the Spanish friends and people I encounter have all spoken very briefly about the Catalan region and the troubles there, my sense is that most folk around the country are sick of it and think they should stop making such a big deal, probably not possible now but that’s the sense I get. 

I met a Catalan guy today who I had seen watching the Mexico v Germany game, so I introduced my self in spanish and told him about who I was, every normal person does this. As the conversation went on I tried out some spanish I’m currently learning, which he replied “I don’t know Spanish, I’m Catalonian” I don’t think he realised I understood that, it’s not hard and so I simply said  Nesisito Practicar, I need the practice...

I was so enraged with his arrogant reply I simply had to walk it out, I ended up doing 41k today,  I’m now back in the flow, centered and in a lovely albergue in Tricastela, which gives me a 21k home sprint into Sarria tomorrow. Which then gives me 6 x 20k ish hikes into Santiago de Compestella, and I have 10 days in total including the day I fly out.

I need a small excursion or a hippie Albergue like Albergue Verde to hang out at, any suggestions? 

No sign of the Dutchman! I may need to rough it in a donitivo if I want to bump into him! I hope I do, he’s basically very naughty and you never know what could happen! Beats arrogant Catalonian CXXXS any day! 

Nearly forgot, a mate of ours in Albox in southern Spain writes poems, she’s does one every so many days and is always looking for a good title, luckily she is a Sci Fi nut and me and her talk about it all the time, I said “the curse of a thousand Klingon whatever's! “ so there is the title, expect a ditty that will put Pam Ayers to shame shortly!  

Im off for A Spanish omelette and a beer at Mrs Miggins Pie shop! 

Hasta Luego

malcolm 

I love tortilla!

15 hours ago, Reyes Mfdz said:

Los españoles amamos Cataluña y a los catalanes, al igual que a los gallegos, los andaluces, los vascos y de cualquier otra región. 

La guerra civil fue dura y cruel para TODOS los españoles. Siente pena por todos ellos en esa época y no sólo por una región. Mis abuelos Castellanos, fueron perseguidos por la Dictadura. En Castilla se habla el Castellano, llamado tambien Español.

Los politicos nacionalistas catalanes están jugando al escondite y aprovechando las políticas independentistas para engañar a su población y así poder controlarla más fácilmente para sus intereses económicos corruptos. 

Cataluña siempre se sintió española hasta que les obligaron a estudiar falsa historia en las escuelas y les impusieron el catalan por la fuerza (prueba del adoctrinamiento que sufre cataluña) y casi han prohibido el uso del español. Y todo por la fuerza. La gente que quiere hablar español allí (más de la mayoría) se siente discriminada y a veces maltratada. Eso no es Democracia. La lengua oficial y común de este país es el Español. Y todos los ciudadanos están obligados a aprenderla, y también tienen la libertad de utilizar sus otras lenguas.

Los gobiernos democráticos, después de la dictadura, quisieron restaurar y promover las diferentes lenguas habladas en España (catalán, valenciano, mallorquín, vasco, gallego) pues es riqueza para un país. Todas las regiones españolas (o comunidades autónomas como ahora se denominan) tienen amplios derechos y libertades. Pero nunca la libertad para romper con la ley y dar un golpe de estado por el interés de “unos pocos” que sienten esa especie de “emocionante superioridad” al denominarse así mismos “catalanes”.

Un pais no se divide porque una minoria así lo quiera. Un país es el resultado de las voluntades conjuntas de TODOS los ciudadanos en consenso, sin discriminación ni por raza, ni por género ni por lengua hablada ni por nada.

Cataluña tiene nacionalistas Y NO nacionalistas. Que quede claro. Los nacionalistas de Cataluña (que no son la mayoría) no pueden ni tienen el derecho de decidir por los que no estan de acuerdo con esa doctrina.

Este conflicto no es sobre Cataluña vs España. Es más bien entre ciudadanos nacionalistas de Cataluña y ciudadanos NO nacionalistas de Cataluña.

Los políticos nacionalistas han creado un conflicto serio que está dividiendo a familias y amigos. Es un grave error. Y estos políticos son los más corruptos de toda España. Ya han salido muchos casos de corrupción a la luz.... y siguen saliendo.

Cataluña nunca sera un país porque nunca lo fue y porque sus ciudadanos catalanes no están de acuerdo en ser independientes. Siempre fue una región. Ni siquiera fue un Reino en la Edad Media.

El gobierno Español ha invertido en esa comunidad y los resultados económicos de la misma pertenecen a gobierno de España, como en todas las demás comunidades de nuestro país.

If you do not understand I can write it in English 🙂

I'm French and I studied Spanish but it was a long time ago , though I can understand what you wrote but it would be helpful for our British friends.  Por favor ! 😉

Dia diez /  Day ten 

Nearly within spitting distance of Santiago, 27k via the Camino marker near my Albergue. Long walk today 30 odd kilometres in the sun, and only a few Albergue on the trail, I’m settled but it ain’t the Hilton for sure, more like my old school.  

It’s strange the way you loose folk only to bump into them at a church or outside a coffee shop. The Kansas City professors turned up last night with two Aussie gals, Julie and Barb from Newcastle in NSW, I’d forgotten what Aussie girls are like, lots of fun!  Early start tomorrow gonna book me a posh hotel for one night, I need a bath and some privacy.

more to say and lots of pics tomorrow, I’m whacked 🙂

Noche

Edited by Mal C

10 hours ago, Philippe said:

I'm French and I studied Spanish but it was a long time ago , though I can understand what you wrote but it would be helpful for our British friends.  Por favor ! 😉

Spanish people,  we all love Catalonia and the Catalans,  like we love the rest of the regions, Galicians,  Basques,  and so on. 
‌The Civil War was hard an cruel to every single Spanish person. You must feel sad for all the Spanish people at that time.  Not just for one region.  My Castillian grandparents were persecuted by the Dictatorship.  In Castille (centre_north) only Castillian language, commonly known as Spanish is spoken. So, they were nor persecuted because of any nationalistic or language condition.

‌Nationalist politicians in Catalonia are playing hide-and-seek and taking advantage of their so called independentist politics to mislead their citizens and then, being able to control them easily in order to achieve their corrupt economic interests. 

‌Catalonia has always felt part of Spain, until yesterday,  when a group of corruptors obligated them to speak only Catalan,  tought them a fake History (unfortunatelly for them the history is all archived and imposible to fake). That proofs the indoctrination Catalonia is subject nowadays. They try to forbid the official language, Spanish, and all by force.

Catalan people wanting to speak Spanish in Catalonia,  the majority,  feel this discrimination towards them. And they feel they're being misstreated, in their own region and their own country, by a bunch of polificians and their ignorant followers. That is not Democracy.

The official language of Spain is the Spanish,  Castillian. And it is the language we all have in common in this country. And every citizen must know it and learn it (that’s the law) and they are also fully free to use the language of their particular community.

Democratic Governments after the Dictatorship, wanted to restore and promote the different languages and dialects (Catalan,  Mallorquin,  Gallego,  Valenciano,  Vasco,  Bable,...) because that contributes to the richness of a nation.

Every Spanish region (or autonome community,   as they are officially named at present) have extensive rights and freedom. But they will never have the right of breaking the law and do a "coup d'etat" for the benefit of "a few" that have a feeling of "superiority" when they name themselves just Catalans. Are they meaning they are a superior race? That's a sad reasoning in our global times. Bigotry?

A country is not divided because a minority wants it. A country is the result of the collection of wills and desires of EVERY citizen deciding in consensus, with no discrimination because of race,  gender,  language, ...

Catalonia has nationalists and NO nationalists. This must be clear. The nationalist in Catalonia (not the majority of the region) cannot and have not the right to decide the future for the people who have an opposite oppinion in their same territory or region.

This conflict is not about Catalonia vs Spain.  It is more about nationalist citizens and not nationalist citizens into the same region.

The nationalist politicians have created a serious conflict that is dividing families, friends, communities,... It is a serious mistake, and these politicians are the most corruptors in Spain.  A lot of cases have come out already and they keep coming out everyday.

Catalonia has never been a country,  not even a kingdom in the Midle Age. And it will never be so because its population is not agree with that. The rest of Spain is not going to abandone them.

The Spanish government (the present and the past) has invested economically in this region and the result of this investment is owned by Spain,  just like it happens in the rest of the other regions. 

There is a lot of missinformed people out of Spain who only believe  what is published on the victimistic and sensationalist press. Unfortunatelly is this kind of press who sell a lot of newspapers. How missinformed we are nowadays!

(Saying that a catalan person does not speak Spanish is as fake as saying that the rest of the other regions hate Catalonia).

We all love catalans in Spain.  We all have family and friends there.  We just don't like ignorance. 

Also, the images of violence by the police in October last year were all made up. The tenssion these radicals created provoqued a lot of policemen injured and misstreated. That was never shown abroad (I live in London). Unfortunatelly this kind of conflicts end up always bad on both sides.  Even fake injured citizens or pictures from other past conflicts, nothing to do with that so called referendum day (pictures from years ago), where shown in newspapers around the world. What a shame for that press who does not show the reality but make up stories. I know, that sells a lot of newspapers. Money talks. Who knows what really happened? The Catalans and the rest of the country.

Phillipe, your wish is my comand! All for you in English!

That’s all folks!

Edited by Reyes Mfdz

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts