CAROLINA SOUL ON EBAY

I've asked this before but what is "extremely conservative" grading ?

I've looked at CS's auctions and most don't get over VG+ and many are less.

Is his VG+ others' M- ?

I don't buy anything on US Ebay described as below M-/NM/VG++.

Any fussy collectors on here who can say they've bought off CS [or others mentioned] and been pleasantly surprised ?

Social source share

I've bought a few things and always been pleased and happy that they were in top condition even when described as VG. While I wouldn't class myself as fussy as I don't mind something that has had "a bit of a life", I do expect to get what's described at the very least. CS has always under- promised and over delivered. 

With regard to the bidder who seems to be on lot's of the items, the picture is as below. Sometimes folks send records to certain dealers to sell on their behalf. The original owner owner could be tempted to fire in a few bids which the dealer listing would not have been directly responsible for. I'm not saying that is the case here....(45 bid retractions !!!). Some folks just like certain dealers.

Bid History: Details

Bidding Details

Bidder Information
Bidder:    o***o( 373) 
Item description:    Northern Soul 45 - Tony Galla - In Love - Swan - mp3
Bids on this item:    1

30-Day Summary
Total bids:    241
Items bid on:    177
Bid activity (%) with this seller:    21%    
Bid retractions:    0
Bid retractions (6 months):    45

30-Day Bid History
 Category    No. of Bids    Seller    Last Bid

Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 17h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 2h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    4d 23h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    4d 21h
Music > Records    4    Seller 1    5d 21h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    4d 17h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    6d 1h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    6d 3h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    6d 1h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    4d 20h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 19h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 5h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 4h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 23h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 1h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    4d 19h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    6d
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 20h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    4d 23h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    4d 20h
Music > Records    1    Seller 1    5d 21h

To keep eBay a safe place for buyers and sellers, member-specific information is not displayed in the bid history. Review the rules for buyers.

Social source share

As a consignee you have to sign a legal agreement/contract to not bid on your own stuff or instruct third parties to with the express intention of only driving the price up & not winning.

Yes their grading is visual based & conservative. Soundclips are included for full transparency.

I have four things up this round:

Lively Set

Syndicate Of Sound Inc

Elder William Smith

Protein Bros

I will 100% not be bidding on my own stuff!!

Social source share

9 minutes ago, Kris Holmes said:

As a consignee you have to sign a legal agreement/contract to not bid on your own stuff or instruct third parties to with the express intention of only driving the price up & not winning.

Yes their grading is visual based & conservative. Soundclips are included for full transparency.

I have four things up this round:

Lively Set

Syndicate Of Sound Inc

Elder William Smith

Protein Bros

I will 100% not be bidding on my own stuff!!

Interesting. But what I don't get, is why people would send a consignment of records to a dealer to sell on Ebay for them, what is the benefit of doing that. Why not just list them yourself?  A genuine question, what is the reason, any ideas anyone?

Social source share

7 hours ago, modernsoulsucks said:

I've asked this before but what is "extremely conservative" grading ?

I've looked at CS's auctions and most don't get over VG+ and many are less.

Is his VG+ others' M- ?

I don't buy anything on US Ebay described as below M-/NM/VG++.

Any fussy collectors on here who can say they've bought off CS [or others mentioned] and been pleasantly surprised ?

Yes, I’m a fussy collector and have been very pleased with the records from Carolina Soul. When the grading is conservative, you usually end up more than pleased. One thing I have noticed though is there are more records likely to be on consignment appearing - the grades of these are a little lower than in previous auctions suggesting dealers are unloading well-used records in the hope of earning a higher return.

A problem that can occur with records auctioned on behalf of another party is shiv bidding... This is common on eBay and particularly affects rare records that simmer slowly before the snipers get stuck in. A look at the bidder’s history reveals whether they are selective in their targets, keen to get publicity by making dozens of low bids or plain dodgy by withdrawing loads of bids.

Generally speaking, I have found the big U.S.A. dealers to be excellent in all respects.

Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

Carolina Soul are top notch. I went into their brick-and-mortar store last year and it turns out that they are also extremely cool people. I bought about $200 worth of records (mostly gospel) and they threw in a couple cheapies and a t-shirt for free! can't beat that.

It is in downtown Durham (if you are ever out that way).   

Edited by ljblanken
Social source share

On 13/06/2018 at 10:09, Tai-Pan said:

Interesting. But what I don't get, is why people would send a consignment of records to a dealer to sell on Ebay for them, what is the benefit of doing that. Why not just list them yourself?  A genuine question, what is the reason, any ideas anyone?

The amount of exposure plain & simple. Carolina Soul has a following and valuable reputation with good business tactics and practices. There isn't anything to worry about CS and his crew. In the worst case scenario, if something happens to a record from an auction you won they'll take care of it.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

The consignment deal is attractive to those who don't have the time or don't want to bother with eBay and all of it's trappings and occasional headaches. For those of us who do choose to sell ourselves, CS presents an interesting set of issues. While they do command higher prices than most anyone else gets, it's not likely enough to make up the consignment percentage when we can do the work ourselves. However, we have to fight for the same sets of eyeballs, which means sometimes we feel like we're just wholesaling records or giving them away. Then again, I personally still have instances where I am getting higher bids on eBay than the same record that I've had sitting for a set price on Discogs for weeks. I guess in that way it all evens out. CS does a great job at what they do, no doubt. I've bought from them as well and certainly would again. Savvy shoppers will know to look beyond *just* what they offer though. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!