mike

World cup 2018 underway

Fabulous game of football.  Thought Spain took the foot off the pedal last 20 minutes or so and should have gone for the fourth.  Ronaldo, he had disappeared for much of the second half but while you have him in the team you always have a chance.

The Germans decision making as Shearer said was very poor.  The defence was all over the place.  They look like an ageing team and well off the pace.  But they have had a poor run of results of late, clearly not the team they where but they can't be written off yet.

Never write Germany off, great tournament team. Spain looked great but drew in the c. ronaldo show..Spain the far better team imo...the mighty England tomorrow, fingers crossed!!!...thank you...Rob 

its been a great start to the tournament. Germany will bounce back though. I expect Mexico and Germany to progress from their group.

thought a decent performance from England last nite, best one I seen for a fair old while

as been said that last goal could make all the difference to this campaign

tournament picking up pace now

Russia v Egypt being my match choice today

TUESDAY 19TH JUNE 2018
GROUP A
Russia    19:00 Egypt
GROUP H
Colombia    13:00 Japan
Poland    16:00 Senegal

39 minutes ago, mike said:

thought a decent performance from England last nite, best one I seen for a fair old while

as been said that last goal could make all the difference to this campaign

tournament picking up pace now

Russia v Egypt being my match choice today

TUESDAY 19TH JUNE 2018
GROUP A
Russia    19:00 Egypt
GROUP H
Colombia    13:00 Japan
Poland    16:00 Senegal

It'll be interesting to see what sort of form Poland and Colombia are in, as I reckon England will be playing one of them should they get though the group stages.

Posted (edited)

Great first half performance and should have been 3-0 / 4-0 up after 25mins .. some poor finishing and we will have to learn to take our chances if we want to go further . Sterling woeful he wasn’t even any good at getting rid of the midges, let alone his marker . 

Having said that we showed great spirt and an old Man U like attitude to not giving in till the final whistle . 

Southgate has changed things around in lots of areas and there may well be hope for the future. 

Mind you , we’ve been saying that since 66 . 

Role on Panama . 

Russia is proving to be a real good World Cup. 

Edited by stevegods

Sterling was woeful, he has been poor for last few England games. However he isn’t a striker, he is better coming from midfield attacking the defence rather than having his back to goal. Ali and Sterling dropped for Rashford and Loftus Cheek who will be a great player for England. 

I like Gareth Southgate, and nice to hear him say at the end of the game....."I hope you all at home enjoyed it"...... His heart is well in to it.

My prediction for Sunday's game - England 3 / Panama 0

Len :thumbsup:

4 minutes ago, LEN said:

I like Gareth Southgate, and nice to hear him say at the end of the game....."I hope you all at home enjoyed it"...... His heart is well in to it.

My prediction for Sunday's game - England 3 / Panama 0

Len :thumbsup:

Steady on Leonard!

Gareth Southgate is an extremely boring individual with minimal football management ability. Notwithstanding that, if England win the world cup I will eat my hat.

:hatsoff2: 

4 hours ago, Peter99 said:

Steady on Leonard!

Gareth Southgate is an extremely boring individual with minimal football management ability. Notwithstanding that, if England win the world cup I will eat my hat.

:hatsoff2: 

:D I best step away from this convo - I know little about the current game of football, and nothing about Gareth Southgate (except he missed a penalty) He just seemed nice on the telly :wink:

As for my prediction of 3-0 to England - I kid you not, but I predicted the 2-1 to England, so am feeling confident.

.....Why isn't Steve Coppell playing? :huh:

I must be getting old ... 

Ive watched him twice now on ITV’s coverage of the World Cup, but I’m sorry , I just want to clip him round the earole and tell him to “ sit up boy “ and “ stop rocking around on that chair “ ... 

and it’s not that he’s an ex Red Manc or French .. 

Just a crap pundit , bring back Spit the dog Carragher 

0A2CDA51-0FE5-48ED-A14C-D9F6FA45C54B.jpeg

Nigeria have given the Argies an undeserved lifeline.  They'll have to start playing if they don't want to be part of the advance guard in the next invasion of the Malvinas.

11 hours ago, stevegods said:

And why the flick do we have VAR ...

Good question Steve. It seems that nothing has changed and referees can't see major faults. What a shame !

Why is it that when you tackle someone fairly or harshly in the field of play that most players make such a fuss when they dive, yet your still allowed to wrestle people to the ground when there's a corner of free-kick?  The modern game is like experimental theatre, everyone doing improv and nobody really knowing why.

Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, TattooDave said:

Why is it that when you tackle someone fairly or harshly in the field of play that most players make such a fuss when they dive, yet your still allowed to wrestle people to the ground when there's a corner of free-kick?  The modern game is like experimental theatre, everyone doing improv and nobody really knowing why.

FIFA need to clamp down on it, it's getting beyond a joke.  Somewhere there's a squad of Panamanian footballers at an international wrestling tournament.

Edited by Steve S 60

Posted (edited)

What an end to two games ....

VAR ... what a farse .

Take a leaf out of Rugby Union and get it right ... and let the fans in the stadium know what’s happening as well 

Madness 

But interesting to watch .

Well done Morocco and Iran but come on all you professional footballers getting paid thousands but falling over like a sack of spuds at the slightest touch .. it’s jusr getting ridiculous .. 

Edited by stevegods

27 minutes ago, stevegods said:

VAR ... what a farse .

Take a leaf out of Rugby Union and get it right ... and let the fans in the stadium know what’s happening as well 

Madness 

Well done Morocco and Iran 

Yep good call, but to me there is another leaf we could take from the rugby book of rules, and that is allow one of the medical staff on the pitch when the ball is in play. Players are deliberately going down like they have been shot in order to provoke more severe punishment than necessary from the referee,  but more importantly to stop the game especially when the opposition has gained possession leaving his team vulnerable to the counter attack. In some games this would give us at least five more minutes of real football during the game with players actually getting up unless their injuries are genuine. We have to stop players waving and pointing to the player laying on the deck to get the game stopped, or this game will slowly loose support with those who love the game but can not stand this crap. There may be the odd incident where the medical guy gets in the way, but the ref does that .from time to time, so what. As far as I am concerned whats happening at the moment is cheating and deception that needs to be stamped out.

1 hour ago, stevegods said:

VAR ... what a farse .

Madness 

Well done Morocco and Iran 

As well as the Golden Boot, they should also award the Golden Dummy to the player spending the most time on the ground.  Portugal's Pepe is currently in pole position.  The Portuguese manager needs to give him a kick up the arse......

Posted (edited)

From the shear brilliance to the truly embarrassing ...

Don’t allow this guy into another stadium during this World Cup ... but will FIFA act ..

Bets please 

1FD4D313-33DB-4979-B7DB-C801C2DAAC96.jpeg

8BF3228E-9340-42CE-835A-DCAC40B0B4A4.jpeg

Edited by stevegods

1 hour ago, stevegods said:

From the shear brilliance to the truly embarrassing ...

Don’t allow this guy into another stadium during this World Cup ... but will FIFA act ..

Bets please 

1FD4D313-33DB-4979-B7DB-C801C2DAAC96.jpeg

8BF3228E-9340-42CE-835A-DCAC40B0B4A4.jpeg

Apparently he was treated by paramedics shortly after.  All the exertion got the better of the fat cheat.

2 hours ago, woolie mark said:

OMG, isn’t the ITV coverage totally crap?  Their pundits are so boring, I’m nearly nodding off!

Both BBC and ITV commentators are crap, radio 5 and talk sport are way better.

Will Gareth Southgate regret not playing his strongest side v Belgium ?  a draw would have seen England top the group and be confident of victory against Japan, if we had then lost to Brazil Gareth would be viewed as having done a good job with a young team and roll on the Euros next time. On the other hand I think Columbia could be very tricky and if we lose Gareth will not get a good press (2 wins against poor teams and 2 defeats against any quality).  Of course I'm hoping that we sail through to the semi's...…..

Gareth Southgate can do no wrong IMO, he has built a squad that have gelled, look like they enjoy each others company with no egos.  He has them playing a decent passing, attacking style of football which for England fans is quite refreshing.  We qualified for the knockout stages, that was the one hope England fans had, little to no mention of the knockout stages.  

You can't pick and choose your wins in tournament football, whose to say the so called first team would have beat Belgium and how do we know we would beat Japan??  Fringe players got game time, that could prove invaluable down the line.  Gareth will have learnt plenty from last night and he like the young players are still learning at this level.

I couldn't care less what the press say if we lose and most fans I listened to on the radio etc say the same thing.

As long as the players put the effort in and stick to the principals and game that Gareth Southgate has/is instilling in them then I will be happy whatever stage we get to.  If that is a loss in the next round then so be it, we then prepare for the Euros then the 2026 World Cup cause we ain't gone win in the desert in 2022.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.