Edwin Starr  - I Have Faith in You

v

Doni Burdick - I Have Faith in You

voice your choice!

then once posted your choice...

feel most free to share your reasons, view, stories, memories etc etc  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

As with most of these comparisons, the actual technical elements of the recordings are of secondary importance to most people. The overriding reason for someone choosing their favourite is really down to when they heard them for the first time, and the memories said hearings evoke. Therefore, and for me, Edwin wins hands down. Every.....single.....day.....of......the.......week. The original version, still after all this time the better of the two, and the one that reminds me of so, so much that happened back in the early 70's.

Edited by Guest
Social source share

Yes ,it has to be Edwin for me , (were there any  Ric Tic white demos of it ?). Doni Burdick s is also great .The  rumbling intro heavy orchestration and backing singers  combine with the vocal to put this in my all time top 5 .

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, carty said:

Yes ,it has to be Edwin for me , (were there any  Ric Tic white demos of it ?). Doni Burdick s is also great .The  rumbling intro heavy orchestration and backing singers  combine with the vocal to put this in my all time top 5 .

Ric-Tic WDJ's are super cute but I dropped the case (to have them all WDJ's) the day I found out that his very favorite one of mine 'I have faith in you' was available only on the red stock copies where all the WDJ's where double 'A' side !!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, mike said:

this time around we have a 'battle' suggested by @jimmy clitheroe

it's another battle royale...

Edwin Starr  - I Have Faith in You

v

Doni Burdick - I Have Faith in You

voice your choice!

then once posted your choice...

feel most free to share your reasons, view, stories, memories etc etc  

For me it has to be Edwin by a Mile,especially when you have it on a red and white polydor demo. 

Social source share

51 minutes ago, the yank said:

Nothing to think about here- 100% Edwin for me ! 

Doni comes across as some bad lounge singer in Las Vegas.

And I'll third it! 😂

Social source share

11 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

He certainly wasn’t underrated by Berry Gordy,Edwin was one of the main reasons why Berry bought Golden World and Ric Tic off Ed Wingate. 

Yes I understand that - Gordy could see a pot of cash better than most. My point was that if you talk about the best vocalists over the year I do not see Edwin's name come up very often. Jules Holland said that Edwin was the best live vocalist he'd ever worked with - and he knows a bit about music. 

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Peter99 said:

Yes I understand that - Gordy could see a pot of cash better than most. My point was that if you talk about the best vocalists over the year I do not see Edwin's name come up very often. Jules Holland said that Edwin was the best live vocalist he'd ever worked with - and he knows a bit about music. 

I remember having a lengthy talk with Edwin in 2000 when he and Bill Randle brought JJ Barnes and Steve Mancha over to Birmingham.Not only was he a great singer,he was also Gentleman. 

Social source share

The fantastico Charlie Hatcher by a Million %!! D,Burdock like his Fizzy namesake is pure Pop !! Doni just exemplifies all that is bad in the obsession with the rarer version , the ChipTyler over Jerry Williams ,the Formulaya over O, jays ,"Act" and Lenny Blackburn over Doris ,s "Anything". No Contest.! LOL Johnny ,Espanol.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

17 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

The instrumental version Guy used to play is best by miles.

Dx

I Recall Guy playing the Back Street instrumental but cant ever remember I Have faith in you.

Edited by Patto
Social source share

2 hours ago, DaveNPete said:

The instrumental version Guy used to play is best by miles.

Dx

I  don't remember Guy playing it at Stafford, but there are plenty of copies of a Soussan origin backing track + strings about. My old copy came from the owner of Selectadisc's garage, when Stigger was clearing it out for him (Stig's wife at the time worked for Brian). Credited to the Detroit symphony if I recall. Backing track plus tweaks of Sidney Barnes "I hurt on the other side" on the other side.

I'm sure it was from Soussan, because there were quite a few Black Magic related acetates there too. Including a 10" "Love you baby" that was credited to Lorraine Chandler, and the discs were all identical.

Edited by Rich B
Social source share

47 minutes ago, DaveNPete said:

Yes, but yes it sounds to be running fast. Wasn't Guy's on acetate? Must be 25 years since I heard it.

Dx

2 hours ago, the yank said:

This ?? Sounds sped up though...

The gear was faster then the music had to keep up with it LoL no seriously the version I have is slightly slower than that and it ve had that over 30 years

ML

Social source share

The   Detroit symphony    Instumental     version    was massive at Wigan  in 1975 , think it was emidisc copies only at that point ,  i have a  white label copy with a stamp saying ( ithink ) re spin records  and the title , with Barbara Mcneir on the other side , from maybe ten years back. Would imagine these are around still for around £15.00 - £ 20.00 ish . 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!