Toast Records - Distributor - Any Ideas?

Guest PodDoom

Guest PodDoom

Hi- I don't know if this is posted in the right topic or not, please forgive and remind me about when it did it wrong

I am trying to find out if Toast Records (as in Rosetta Hightower fab UK releases) had major distribution deal within UK - basically cos I am sad and like to have the correct company sleeves where possible with my records :thumbup:

I have picked up so far (from other sites/forum) dicussion that it may be a Major Minor (or Decca offshoot) - reason apparently reasons being;

The involvement of Tommy Scott as an arranger on certain singles and the catalogue numbers start from 500 just like Major Minor??!!!???

I checked a Major Minor release ( from same period (1968) and it would appear (though I not an expert on factory stamps etc) that has been pressed at same plant as the Toast releases. Both have the letters "SEL" at one part of run out with the respective cat numbers directly opposite in exactly the same format and font. I know this not a clincher but it may sstrenghthen possibility of a connection. I also checked a Decca press from same time and does not have this (though I am sure Decca probably used a variety of pressing plants due to their size?)

I not losing any sleep over this but it would be nice to get an answer since - as is the nature of these things - it has become intriguing since found the first small snippet.

I hope someone out there (possibly a sad sleeve-o like myself) can maybe shed more light on this.

Thanks

Edited by PodDoom
Social source share

• Replies 3
  • Views 955
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Yes,Toast  was a 'sister' label of Major Minor.If you compare the back covers of  Major Minor and Toast LP sleeves-and I've just dug out two-the typefaces and layouts of the track listings and credits are identical-not only that,they have the same address at the bottom of the sleeve "Toast Records Ltd 58/59 Gt. Marlborough St.London W.1"    "Major Minor Records 58/59 Gt Marlborough St.London W.1

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert