Mick O'Donnell Soul Discovery - 21 September 2008

Mark R

Couple of things happened recently to make me dig around for this old recording which I've never shared before.

Firstly, I heard that Mick O'Donnell's show on Solar had come to an end. This kinda coincided with a few posts on Facebook about events.....what gets played and in what room and all that stuff that in truth is often talked about.

This is from 10 years back when Mark Merry, Steve Dolan and myself went to 209 radio in Cambridge to guest on Mick's Soul Discovery Show.

Lot's of great music and some heavy debate about the "scene" which, having listened back to and in light of recent discussions on Facebook, I felt needed resurrecting and documenting. Make of it what you will........it's long but worth a listen when you have the time......

Mostly just us playing some (then) current faves for the first 1hr 45mins, after which the debate starts..........

Cheers,

Mark R

Edited by Mark R
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

• 1 year later...

Many thanks for posting this. Just stumbled on it by accident and enjoyed it yesterday, just like the Sunday evenings of old. You defended the house corner very well, and it's ironic considering the stick that Mick took for defending Lou Johnson's "Keep that fire burning" against charges of disco dross - Mick was as correct about that as you were/are.

Not much seems to have changed since your discussion, although it was good to see some youngsters at both Whitby and Bridlington summer weekenders last year, and some even behind the decks in Brid. But a widely applied OVO policy is going to have the same effect on young potential jocks as successive governments' housing policy has had on home ownership.

Anyway, will enjoy that again on a few repeat plays :thumbsup::boxing:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Many thanks for posting this. Just stumbled on it by accident and enjoyed it yesterday, just like the Sunday evenings of old. You defended the house corner very well, and it's ironic considering the stick that Mick took for defending Lou Johnson's "Keep that fire burning" against charges of disco dross - Mick was as correct about that as you were/are.

Not much seems to have changed since your discussion, although it was good to see some youngsters at both Whitby and Bridlington summer weekenders last year, and some even behind the decks in Brid. But a widely applied OVO policy is going to have the same effect on young potential jocks as successive governments' housing policy has had on home ownership.

Anyway, will enjoy that again on a few repeat plays :thumbsup::boxing:

Thanks for the feedback fella, really appreciated as I'm often left a little disappointed at the lack of interest in debate's/interviews.  I love all of that and not just the music, but maybe that's just me.  Important to share it all and document opinion I think, so thanks again for the interest! 🙂

Cheers,

Mark R

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!