Rhonda Davis - Long Walk On A Short Pier

Andyf

Did not know that. After checking the YT clip of the stocker I am indeed more happy with my demo copy. Even played 'long walk on a short pier' home the evening before yesterday. The stocker is altogether another take. The arrangements totally differs to dilute the "bluesy" feel as on the demo. Here that "ragtime" annoying piano  messes up the "dark" side and her singing is somehow less felt into it IMHO.

Social source share

22 hours ago, garethx said:

I don't think this is the case at all. I think the confusion arises because a Youtube clip purportedly of the orange-labelled stock copy uses the version on the Kent LP "Tears In My Eyes", which is indeed a quite different mix. No 45 I've ever played of this, demo or stock, features a different version. My current issue copy has the following deadwax details: ℗ 1972 DUKE RECORD INC SCM 402 165. I'd be interested to hear of any 45 which features different markings.

Great record and a shame Rhonda Davis didn't record more. Two Gospel 45s on Peacock from 1967 where she was billed as "Rhonda Davis, 15 Year Old Gospel Prodigy", the Duke release and I think that's it. According to comments on the Youtube clips Rhonda was living on the streets in Oakland when last sighted. It leaves a slightly bitter taste when I see goons selling carvers of "Can You Remember" on Ebay for ridiculous sums.

I had a spare issue the other week... and I really should have played them back to back and compared....will check info when I get home if no one posts before gareth

Social source share

On 30/06/2018 at 11:12, still diggin said:

Often wondered who the Rhonda 'Touch me up' on Stax actually was, as her vocal is rather similar to the Rhonda Davis on Duke.

The 'lead' on Volt records act 'Hot Sauce' was a Rhonda Washington - half a dozen fine single before disappearing.  I don't know the track you mention but I would guess it is from the vaults issued on the reactivated Stax label................. comparing the Washington (Volt) and Davis (Duke)  tracks their voices are not a million miles apart ...but who knows?

Social source share

22 hours ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

The 'lead' on Volt records act 'Hot Sauce' was a Rhonda Washington - half a dozen fine single before disappearing.  I don't know the track you mention but I would guess it is from the vaults issued on the reactivated Stax label................. comparing the Washington (Volt) and Davis (Duke)  tracks their voices are not a million miles apart ...but who knows?

The track I was on about is from 79 on that purple/ white reactivated logo distributed by fantasy. It would have thought it was cut around 79 as it does have a disco vibe. John manship has a copy for sale and the vocal is very similar to my ears, However as you say the Hot Sauce lady is also from that range.

Social source share

Hot Sauce (from 71) worked almost exclusively with Irene Productions ... the production house run by Irene & Al Perkins up in Detroit (the team behind Al Hudson & the Soul Partners, One Way, Roundtrip, Oliver, Alicia Myers, Oliver Cheatham, etc) ... so they would have been based in Detroit. The group's Rhonda Washington was Chuck Berry's neice & she was (most likely) originallty from St Louis).

Rhonda (Washington) had cut a solo 45 for Sure-Shot in 67 (sister label to Duke). Jumping back in time from that, the St Louis group El Torros cut for Duke (on & off) between 57 & 62. She joined the group in 62 (after their latest Duke 45 had failed to sell) but they didn't do much till 64 when they changed their name to the Mustangs. Under this name, they had their own 45 out on Sure-Shot. The two songs they cut were written by Gladys Battle (Rhonda's mum). They had a 2nd Sure-Shot 45 out in 65 (as the Mighty Mustangs). Rhonda sang lead again (with her mother writing again). The majority of the group's members had been going for years & when this last 45 failed, they quit the biz & took day jobs. Rhonda must then have decided to go on as a solo act. 

Edited by Roburt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 02/07/2018 at 13:17, still diggin said:

The track I was on about is from 79 on that purple/ white reactivated logo distributed by fantasy. It would have thought it was cut around 79 as it does have a disco vibe. John manship has a copy for sale and the vocal is very similar to my ears, However as you say the Hot Sauce lady is also from that range.

A couple of us used to play 'Touch Me Up' late '70's , early 80's. It was always a bit too 'DISCO' for my liking although she was a prety good vocalist. I never connected her to Rhonda Davis in any way, but it's not beyond the realm to think it could be Rhonda Washington, though Hot Sauce would have ceased to exist at Stax / Volt 4-5 years prior.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 02/07/2018 at 17:47, Roburt said:

Hot Sauce (from 71) worked almost exclusively with Irene Productions ... the production house run by Irene & Al Perkins up in Detroit (the team behind Al Hudson & the Soul Partners, One Way, Roundtrip, Oliver, Alicia Myers, Oliver Cheatham, etc) ... so they would have been based in Detroit. The group's Rhonda Washington was Chuck Berry's neice & she was (most likely) originallty from St Louis).

Rhonda (Washington) had cut a solo 45 for Sure-Shot in 67 (sister label to Duke). Jumping back in time from that, the St Louis group El Torros cut for Duke (on & off) between 57 & 62. She joined the group in 62 (after their latest Duke 45 had failed to sell) but they didn't do much till 64 when they changed their name to the Mustangs. Under this name, they had their own 45 out on Sure-Shot. The two songs they cut were written by Gladys Battle (Rhonda's mum). They had a 2nd Sure-Shot 45 out in 65 (as the Mighty Mustangs). Rhonda sang lead again (with her mother writing again). The majority of the group's members had been going for years & when this last 45 failed, they quit the biz & took day jobs. Rhonda must then have decided to go on as a solo act. 

you have me confused Roburt.... so Rhonda Washington was also signed to Duke before her work with Hot Sauce?

Social source share

3 hours ago, Sean Hampsey said:

A couple of us used to play 'Touch Me Up' late '70's , early 80's. It was always a bit too 'DISCO' for my liking although she was a prety good vocalist. I never connected her to Rhonda Davis in any way, but it's not beyond the realm to think it could be Rhonda Washington, though Hot Sauce would have ceased to exist at Stax / Volt 4-5 years prior.

I have no idea Sean.........just musing on the the possible connection of 'Rhonda' on Stax and the Rhonda on Volt (Stax subsidiary) ....... like I said I don't know the Stax track.......

Social source share

16 minutes ago, Mike Lofthouse said:

you have me confused Roburt.... so Rhonda Washington was also signed to Duke before her work with Hot Sauce?

YES, she was signed to Duke as a solo act after she cut for them (as lead singer) with the Mustangs / Mighty Mustangs. Her solo outing was in Feb 67 (Sure-Shot #5026). A couple of years then went by before she reappeared as lead with Hot Sauce.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!