Another Poll version battle.

Susan vs Dusty  

1. 1. What's it gonna be?

• Susan Barrett
    • Dusty Springfield

This poll is closed to new votes

52 minutes ago, Rich B said:

Never heard either played out as 'newies'  but I seem to think that people thought Susan Barret was a black artist so it always seemed to have more kudos.

I remember Richard Searling playing Susan Barrett @ Wigan Oldies nighter and introducing it as "the soul version". 

I had no idea she was a white artist untill I read the 1st post in this thread, and really don"t care. I like Dusty Springfield a lot, especially her Philly LP, but still prefer Ms Barrett"s version on this song

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Rich B said:

Never heard either played out as 'newies'  but I seem to think that people thought Susan Barret was a black artist so it always seemed to have more kudos.

Why on earth they thought she was black is beyond me?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Massive memories of 72/73 with both. SB played out first, at the Mecca if I recall, swiftly followed by DS everywhere else. Difficult to choose. As already mentioned, the SB version is probably the better dancer, just, but Dusty's voice has to swing it for me. Again, probably another of those "you had to be there" tunes. 

As an aside, and a tenuous link to the recent OVO "Unbelievable" thread, the DS version was booted on Out Of The Past (second series, plain white label)  in, I think, 74. Rumour had it at the time, that it was this particular tune which attracted the attention of the BPI, leading to CB pulling the ad from B&S magazine (it only featured once). I think they were all being flogged at two quid apiece originally, which wasn't too bad for some of the rarer tunes, but crazy when you consider the DS tune was easily had for 10p on every market stall and 5p in every junk shop in the north of England at the time !!!!!!!!!!!!

Social source share

6 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Closing the poll at fifty votes, seems like a fair sample size, from 50/50 early doors it looks as if SB has just taken it, I haven't voted, but wouldn't entertain voting for Dusty on this one although I love many of her songs, not this one, as many have said SB jumps out of the speakers at you, that compressed, picked Bass makes it for me, think Dusty's voice more suited to tunes like 'You don't have to say you love me' and 'Spooky' which I adore.

Seems fair enough, even though, after much deliberation, I plumped for Dusty. Nice to hear views from people who weren't there at the time, and therefore can assess both versions on the respective technical values etc., rather than the emotions remembered from when the tunes were first played out. Gives a completely different perspective, and one, which may be said, is actually more honest.

As for SB being known as a black artist, that's a new one on me. Within weeks of it being played in '72, everyone knew she was white. Same went for many of the other white artists who had big tunes being played at the time, such as Billy Harner, Evie Sands, Rufus Lumley, PJ, Debbie Dean etc. We didn't care and it didn't seem to matter. Both versions filled the floor.

Social source share

32 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Closing the poll after a week.

Next one could be Homer banks vs Taj Mahal? It'd get all the old Wheelers and Torch-goers scrapping amongst themselves 🙂 Lol.

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

don't find either of them in the least bit soulful but can see why Susan Barrett was big as it's definitely more of a dancer - both crap and cringe whenever I hear either get played out (which luckily isn't that often)

It boggles my mind some of the things I read on here. It IS a Northern Soul allniter classic, still we all don't have to like the same ones do we?

I think if I were to reinvent the scene I'd bin the word 'Soul' completely, it doesn't really represent anything at all does it?

I have never heard the Dusty version played out, I only ever heard it on tapes that folks gave to me back in the day. Might be interesting to hear of any venues where it was chosen over the Susan Barrett record? :hatsoff2:

Social source share

1 minute ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

It boggles my mind some of the things I read on here. It IS a Northern Soul allniter classic, still we all don't have to like the same ones do we?

I think if I were to reinvent the scene I'd bin the word 'Soul' completely, it doesn't really represent anything at all does it?

I have never heard the Dusty version played out, I only ever heard it on tapes that folks gave to me back in the day. Might be interesting to hear of any venues where it was chosen over the Susan Barrett record? :hatsoff2:

"Northern Soul" all-nighter classic, we all know that there are quite a few non soul tunes played on the northern scene (as well as other parts of the scene) just due to the dancing beat - luckily there's plenty out there for all of us, it's just not for me - have a good one

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Can we do a poll about music next time? 🎶🎶

21 minutes ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

don't find either of them in the least bit soulful but can see why Susan Barrett was big as it's definitely more of a dancer - both crap and cringe whenever I hear either get played out (which luckily isn't that often)

49 minutes ago, Joey said:

Seems fair enough, even though, after much deliberation, I plumped for Dusty. Nice to hear views from people who weren't there at the time, and therefore can assess both versions on the respective technical values etc., rather than the emotions remembered from when the tunes were first played out. Gives a completely different perspective, and one, which may be said, is actually more honest.

As for SB being known as a black artist, that's a new one on me. Within weeks of it being played in '72, everyone knew she was white. Same went for many of the other white artists who had big tunes being played at the time, such as Billy Harner, Evie Sands, Rufus Lumley, PJ, Debbie Dean etc. We didn't care and it didn't seem to matter. Both versions filled the floor.

Social source share

Just now, Ahoy Sailor said:

"Northern Soul" all-nighter classic, we all know that there are quite a few non soul tunes played on the northern scene (as well as other parts of the scene) just due to the dancing beat - luckily there's plenty out there for all of us, it's just not for me - have a good one

Yes as I said we all like different ones, that's the beauty of such a huge canon. Yes there are many records that some people consider as not soul, I agree fully and wonder where some records are connected at all, hence my saying I'd drop the 'soul' tag altogether.

'Northern Dance scene' would've covered it much less confusingly! Yeah thanks, I'm doing St Ives weekender tomorrow for three days so my lass will have a good one, cheers bud!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Gogs
38 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Yes you suggest one Pete eh?

Mike always asking for poll suggestions.

Myself I love girly blue eyed pop soul northern dance.

This one was my idea and not really connected to Mike's long running series.

What about "picture me gone" Evie Sands, Madeline Bell and for a laugh add in Dave Berry

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Love all that stuff and some,  in fact l like most things soulful music wise but where ? Why ? Played by ?white black ? When ? How much ? Where does it all end ? Don't you know l love you - Jackie or the major , musically speaking only please   , could be refreshing? 🎶🎶👍

1 hour ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

Yes you suggest one Pete eh?

Mike always asking for poll suggestions.

Myself I love girly blue eyed pop soul northern dance.

This one was my idea and not really connected to Mike's long running series.

Social source share

1 hour ago, gogs said:

What about "picture me gone" Evie Sands, Madeline Bell and for a laugh add in Dave Berry

And why miss poor Diane Brooks out on Verve?

Now lets assume for one minute that some of us on this site have different tastes - now relax take a deep breath sigh deeply - there you go all that emotion frustration and anger melts away

Right the next one to argue gonna get banned for life from here, there never going to be admitted to anymore soul nights or days & the purchasing of any more records of any discription will be punishable by death

By the Order of Kirsty

Edited by Gold Band
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Gogs
6 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

And why miss poor Diane Brooks out on Verve?

I hadn't heard of this version until now, not really my cup of tea though.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Love all that stuff and some,  in fact l like most things soulful music wise but where ? Why ? Played by ?white black ? When ? How much ? Where does it all end ? Don't you know l love you - Jackie or the major , musically speaking only please   , could be refreshing? 🎶🎶👍

Have you listened to the Artistics version of "Don't you know I love you" Pete, that's a  nice version there's one up on youtube courtesy of Bri

Kirsty

Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Nice version with great Harmony's,  strings and things,   thanks for the info 👍🎶👏🎶

59 minutes ago, Gold Band said:

Have you listened to the Artistics version of "Don't you know I love you" Pete, that's a  nice version there's one up on youtube courtesy of Bri

Kirsty

Social source share

10 hours ago, Rich B said:

My internet connection was really slow back in 1974. 

Other  than that, no excuses, my bad as the young folk said back then.

Lololol.

*takes ruined computer keyboard and now empty can of lager to the bin * 

Dusty's version for me here.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Both versions lack my interprataion of NS or Soul just catchy pop records with a little twist with the production and backing singers, Nothing against Dusty but Helen Shapiro had the better voice for me with this Genre, Better still was Julie Grant from Blackpool around at the same time she did versions of Drifters and Baby Washington material and did a good job a real powerful soul voice but never got the acclaim they got, in fact she beat Helen into second place in a singing talent contest circa Butlins 1960

ML

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Gogs
2 hours ago, Hooker1951 said:

Both versions lack my interprataion of NS or Soul just catchy pop records with a little twist with the production and backing singers

ML

No record was ever recorded to be a northern soul record, they all wanted to be in the charts so your statement doesn't make much sense.

Social source share

8 hours ago, gogs said:

No record was ever recorded to be a northern soul record, they all wanted to be in the charts so your statement doesn't make much sense.

That isn’t true either.  The very history of how many records came about tells you they were never going to make a chart let alone become a hit.  Small press runs, local presses, pressed to sell or give away at gigs etc.  The vast majority would never get the promotion or backing so were never going to trouble the charts. 

Northern Soul isn’t a genre either, it is a scene made up of various genres and styles. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Guest Gogs
15 hours ago, chalky said:

That isn’t true either.  The very history of how many records came about tells you they were never going to make a chart let alone become a hit.  Small press runs, local presses, pressed to sell or give away at gigs etc.  

Northern Soul isn’t a genre either, it is a scene made up of various genres and styles. 

I know that Northern Soul is not a genre, hence part of my post.

local presses-  some local presses got picked up by the big companies i.e. Atlantic. the rest hoped that they would

pressed to sell or give away at gigs etc.- This was used as an advertisement in the hope off recognition of promoters or big companies.

The vast majority would never get the promotion or backing so were never going to trouble the charts.- I never said that they were, Doesn't mean that they didn't want this.

Nobody deliberately would press a record in the hope of making a loss!!!!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!