QUIET VENUES - A SIGN OF THE TIMES

I know a that there are still venues "packing em in " but there are more and more struggling despite playing great tunes  and recruiting excellent guests .There is no magic here but we could lose many venues in 2018 where the owners just are not taking money over the bars etc to be viable and we all know costs have skyrocketed putting nights and days on "notice " . Have the good old days gone or has it always been this way ?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

So many events, I personally don't bother looking anymore as it just makes the mind boggle scrolling down loads both on a Friday & Saturday.

I'm sure one day (pretty soon actually) all of a sudden there will be hardly any events. Hopefully this will be a good thing, but depends what events are still standing when this happens.

keep enjoying where you can though!

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Many just decide to run their own soul night.  It's so easy now with the internet!

Get 200 or more people doing this, and you can see what's gonna happen! Lots of dull/poor atmosphere soulnights!

Knock on effect, means no one will travel to large central allnighters anymore!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

I'm not sure things are any different now than they were 40 years ago.

A successful promoter can make a good living. Wanting to be one, and actually being one, are poles apart. 

In this neck of the woods, I've seen the Lord Conyers pub being packed to the rafters, and just a handful in. Stop start, different promoters, different policies. Rare, handbag, and everything in between.

I imagine it's the same in every town.

The strong do survive...

100 club, Whitby, Prestatyn, SITS, chill out Donny, etc.

Ed

Social source share

3 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

Weekenders also bring in a few from Europe! 

...but enough to make up for the attrition? Probably not.

But one a week, surely over kill? Surely onlyna handful from Europe?

I’ve seen the odd videos, some had very healthy numbers, Liverpool for instance, others not so healthy looking  

A couple of years ago I went through the calendar, there was two a month then, must be a lot more crowded now. 

Social source share

I have not been to an event for a good few years due to the facts that there are too many events and too little quality, like every person with a record collection thinks they are DJ's, they put on soul nights to allow themselves to play.  I travelled south most weekends from Edinburgh, mostly by train and on my own, as that was becoming too expensive I wanted so much to go to events closer to home, that's when it all went downhill, now I have no desire to travel anywhere for an event and as much as I miss them I don't feel I am missing out...shame that.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 minutes ago, Soulfool said:

I have not been to an event for a good few years due to the facts that there are too many events and too little quality, like every person with a record collection thinks they are DJ's, they put on soul nights to allow themselves to play.  I travelled south most weekends from Edinburgh, mostly by train and on my own, as that was becoming too expensive I wanted so much to go to events closer to home, that's when it all went downhill, now I have no desire to travel anywhere for an event and as much as I miss them I don't feel I am missing out...shame that.

I believe that Aberdeen soul club events are quality, people I know have been and said fantastic!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 10/07/2018 at 18:34, chalky said:

I also think weekenders are having a major say.....

since the beginning of June we have had weekenders at....

Cleethorpes, Skegness, Blackpool, Bridlington, Liverpool, St Ives, Whitby & Manchester.

EIGHT in six weeks. The last three all on the same weekend, barmy.

There are still more to come this summer plus all the European ones that are now popular with Brits  

St Ives and Whitby sold out not sure about Manchester but surely no demand then they don't happen.plenty of good places to go st Ives being one if the weekend is pants surely it will die a death.??

• Up vote 1
Social source share

St Ives sold out 1/3rd of it's tickets in the first week after the previous one this year, I really don't think you'll get a better vote of confidence than that.

Be careful with some of the southern European ones though -dancing on tiles to laptop jockeys isn't everyones cuppa.

Edited by timbo58
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

51 minutes ago, Soulfool said:

For a real quality event near you look no further than the True Soul Weekender in September ... :thumbsup:

https://www.truesoul.co.uk/event/true-soul-weekender-september-2018/

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Leicester boy said:

St Ives and Whitby sold out not sure about Manchester but surely no demand then they don't happen.plenty of good places to go st Ives being one if the weekend is pants surely it will die a death.??

Good to meet you at the St Ives weekend, your crowd did Lee proud!

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Leicester boy said:

That maybe true but if you do a weekend that may well be your budget for the month, maybe two?  That will have a detrimental effect on what has been the lifeblood of the scene, all-nighters and to a certain extent your quality soul nights, the ones that make you want to travel not your average night in the back room of the dog and duck or the local flea pit. 

Edited by chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

9 minutes ago, chalky said:

That maybe true but if you do a weekend that may well be your budget for the month, maybe two?  That will have a detrimental effect on what has been the lifeblood of the scene, all-nighters and to a certain extent your quality soul nights, the ones that make you want to travel not your average night in the back room of the dog and duck or the local flea pit. 

That point I agree with. Weekenders are a social event for soul lovers and certainly have a different feel to an All nighter but again horses for courses with the age and social interests of many on the scene they are perfect.each to their own.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I think with allniters a lot of it is to do with age, I think it likely that a lot simply haven't the energy for them at the age that most veterans are now, and of course gear, personally for me, take the gear out of the equation and to me an allniter is a test of endurance/boredom threshold. I've always thought of allniters as a bit 'doing it to death' as well, very obsessive bunch the soulies, allniters week in week out, as is common knowledge for me it was almost a job, being part of the 'gear machine'.

Very similar to the live bands scene, some people treat it as a job while others just can't get enough of playing, like some kind of demented puppy wagging it's tail wanting to play all the time.

Recently we talked about it being a 'Youth culture' I have to agree, staying up all night dancing is a teenage thing, I think as we all age niters will die off as just too physically demanding for the clientele.

I love the music but for me nowadays it's all about taking my lass out so she can have a good time, I enjoy the social side, to be honest I've always spent most of my time outside the events. I think that nowadays the alldayer is the most popular option. One thing with me is, I drive my lass so she can have a drink, she's earned it, therefore I spend most events dry and straight, which does colour my view somewhat as you can imagine.:hatsoff2:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Ever since the failed attempt of a soul weekender at the Norbreck Castle Blackpool in the early seventies never fancied a weekender .

Cant speak about nighters not been to one since 1977 . 

Dont get out often work and family commitments the nights that I go to are predictable I enjoy myself but wonder is it worth the effort ?

Every now and then I will hear a DJ that plays a load of new to my ears stuff and that restores my faith . 

DJs need to innovate and punters need to reciprocate make some effort to get up and dance to new stuff its not difficult we all know where a Northern tune is going cant be doing with all the nostalgia and reliveing our youth shite if you didnt do it at the time its too late now in your dotage .

The music policy is not good enough or diverse enough to satisfy at most soul nights in my experience .

Edited by Mark S
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

48 minutes ago, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

I think with allniters a lot of it is to do with age, I think it likely that a lot simply haven't the energy for them at the age that most veterans are now, and of course gear, personally for me, take the gear out of the equation and to me an allniter is a test of endurance/boredom threshold. I've always thought of allniters as a bit 'doing it to death' as well, very obsessive bunch the soulies, allniters week in week out, as is common knowledge for me it was almost a job, being part of the 'gear machine'.

Very similar to the live bands scene, some people treat it as a job while others just can't get enough of playing, like some kind of demented puppy wagging it's tail wanting to play all the time.

Recently we talked about it being a 'Youth culture' I have to agree, staying up all night dancing is a teenage thing, I think as we all age niters will die off as just too physically demanding for the clientele.

I love the music but for me nowadays it's all about taking my lass out so she can have a good time, I enjoy the social side, to be honest I've always spent most of my time outside the events. I think that nowadays the alldayer is the most popular option. One thing with me is, I drive my lass so she can have a drink, she's earned it, therefore I spend most events dry and straight, which does colour my view somewhat as you can imagine.:hatsoff2:

Couldn't agree more. Eventually your body let's you know what your mind has been aware of for ages a few beers and bed beats gear and staying awake. Sad but life.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!