Paul Wagnar The World I Knew on Cobblestone

Guest maestro

• Replies 11
  • Views 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

It seems to be the same track ... the mastermind behind the CJ 45 was Stan Vincent (the guy also behind the Crow 45 on Inner Ear) ... Stan worked out of New York and was a staff member at Buddah Records around 1968/69/70 (an in-house producer/arranger and songwriter). Joe Fields Cobblestone Records was distributed by Buddah at that time and was on the look-out for 45's to license ... guess that's where the link originated.

There's guys on here who have met / talked with Stan, so maybe one of them knows more about this. 

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Guest maestro

I haven't heard the CJ version, but I'm guessing it's the same even though the title is slightly different.

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

Edited by maestro
sucessfully uploaded pictures
Social source share

Guest maestro

I'm curious if they were on different labels because they were meant for different regional distribution? I'm in southern California, so I wonder if the cobblestone demo copies were just the few that were sent out to promote the single?

Social source share

The Cobblestone 45 would have escaped some time around August 68 ... at that time, Stan Vincent was mainly working on tracks for Bang, Kama Sutra & Buddah Records  .... BUT his work for those labels was all tagged as either for Progressive Media Inc (PMI) or for Music Dynamic Corp. not for G.S.G., the production company this release is badged up with ... JUST MAYBE, the CJ 45 came out earlier and the Cobblestone release followed on afterwards.   

The music piublishing on the CJ 45 is also different to the Cobblestone release (on which it's assigned to Kama Sutra Music), again this leads me to think that the CJ release is from a bit earlier. "She Must Have Heard" is still registered with BMI, via Kama Sutra Music.

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

12 hours ago, garethx said:

The CJ release is mastered and pressed by RCA and the mastering code indicates the second half of 1967.

I guess that when Stan Vincent signed to work with Buddah / Kama Sutra, they gave him the 'gift' of putting his earlier 45 out on Cobblestone (though only as a promo copy to go out to radio stns). Wonder if any radio stns programmed the Cobblestone 45 for actual airplay ??

The Cobblestone 45 must be RARE although it is the 2nd issue.

Social source share

• 2 years later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!