California Soul

Hi All,

Will be working in California next week and then tagging on a holiday to the end of the visit.

Staying mostly in San Diego but then travelling up as far as San Francisco.

Does anyone know if there are any soul nights in the area between now and the end of August? 

Also would be good to know if there any good record shops in the San Diego area? 

Cheers,

Rhys

Social source share

I"ve always got on well with Dick @ Rookys, been going there every few years since 1999. He moved accross the road a couple of years ago which threw me into confusion last time I was there but quicly recovered my composure. Worth asking to see his "good box" too although he does get cleaned out of the rarer stuff by enthousiastic locals these days. Last time I was in SF I went to a new store to me in the Hayes Valley area called I think "Original Records" which had a good selection of soul/jazz LPs plus some decent soul 45s and that "good box" was once again behind the counter.

A very good "Lowrider " night @ the Makeout Room on some Tuesday nights. Also google "Sweater Funk" for a good accross the board selection of soul nights at various venues

Cheers Paul

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On Friday August 3rd, The Golden Bull in Oakland is well worth a visit, those Bay Area guys have some great stuff, especially the mid tempo group stuff, a guy I know called Cameron Thompson is a resident DJ there and he has some great stuff, think you'll do well to strike lucky if you are digging for stuff in the Califs, these guys are right on top of it, a lot of rare soul collectors, especially the Sweet and Group stuff, have a great trip, sounds fantastic 👍 

Kev 

Social source share

Hi Rhys,

I went to Rooky Ricardos in San Francisco when we had our Holiday in California a couple of years ago,

purchased around ten records which are still in my collection,he has some good stuff in his shop,

just allow plenty of time to search  for what you are looking for.

Just one tip,my access to the shop took me along the edge of the TENDERLOIN district walking,

do plenty of research for your route and keep a watchful eye if in or around this area,it can get

very interesting at times even in daylight !!!,I had a few moments which left some memories.

I left my wife shopping in Macy's in Union Square,a safer option :wink:,told her about the Tenderloin

and the stories later,you will be fine just be careful my friend,if you decide to visit.

San Diego is our favourite city,a fabulous place,home of the US Pacific Naval fleet,

a really great place,be sure to have a meal in the Gaslamp Quarter at night,really cool.

Go over the bridge to Coronado,another great area,the bridge is really steep driving

over it,my wife could not look out of the car!!!.

Hope you have a great working holiday and find some great records on your travels mate.

Be careful and safe,

All the best,KTF,Ron. 👍 :thumbsup:

Edited by Mustang
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!