geobuch335

audio advice sought..

Looking for some advice on non expensive turntable/amp/speakers. Old unit packed in after decades of service and realised

cheap tat wont extend the life of cherished 45s. so looking for advice on reliable non damaging gear that wont break the already creaking bank.have looked at gumtree etc and realised I am a complete luddite on this. I inherited my old set up from a brother in law. any advice gratefully accepted.

Geo.

14 minutes ago, geobuch335 said:

Looking for some advice on non expensive turntable/amp/speakers. Old unit packed in after decades of service and realised

cheap tat wont extend the life of cherished 45s. so looking for advice on reliable non damaging gear that wont break the already creaking bank.have looked at gumtree etc and realised I am a complete luddite on this. I inherited my old set up from a brother in law. any advice gratefully accepted.

Geo.

Moving this to Freebasing, will get better response there.

I would suggest to look into some vintage stuff . There's plenty of reviews out there ,you can knock together a set up for hundreds that will not be beaten in sound quality by paying thousands on the high street .    I am no expert on this at all  ,and be very careful not to have someone pass on their faulty equipment to you , but the value is on the vintage stuff . I picked up a pair of Celestion Ditton 44 speakers (£130)over a year ago and still can't believe how good they sound ,they are from the early seventies .  Couple these or similar with a second hand but fully working technics 1210  buy a decent cartridge and stylus  (concord or  shure) and run through a  Sansui , marantz Yamaha ,rotel or similar amp from the 80s or early 90s .  The 1210s have  gone up now on the second hand market , but it should be still possible to put something like this together for around £5-600. 

What's your budget?  Might be worth popping into your nearest Richer Sounds.  They'll be able to advise you, based on your listening needs and how much you're prepared to spend.  I think they still sell second hand gear as well.

thanks for the helpful info. budget is what I can get away with lol.but will seek out mentioned hardwear when I get back to Glasgow as there are a few places that will have vintage gear .

geo.

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.