Chris Turnbull

Soulful House / Garage Picks

Hi Mickey, 

Thanks for kicking this off - you were my banker on here, I was wondering where you'd got to 😁

Look forward to checking out your posts properly later - hopefully a few more will join in as well - so many great tunes to go at

Cheers, Chris.

Posted (edited)

Came to this through Glasgow DJ Denis Sulta, who plays a remix of Thelma Houston 'Don't know why I love you' in his live sets which I think is this one - been on heavy rotation here for the last 12 months 😁

Edited by Chris Turnbull
Spelling

17 minutes ago, neiljon31 said:

one of my faves on the very reliable Coco Soul label. from 2004.

its never far from a spin in my house !

Love this - just been playing again recently myself, also on my discogs shopping list for the 12" 

Posted (edited)
12 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Loving all these, especially the Rhemi and Kenny Summit - total tunes 😀 Please keep them coming!

Couple of favourites from me - first up the superb Frankie Knuckles / Director's Cut update of Sybil 'Let yourself go', just love this - wish this mix was on vinyl:-

I always liked the original but this takes it into this century - great stuff. The intro reminded me of this earlier effort from 1991, by Cookie Watkins, who was recently touring her Tina Turner tribute act...

Edited by Mickey Finn

12 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

From a couple of years ago, cool Richard Earnshaw remix of Eli Escobar 'Seein you'

Richard Earnshaw is another very consistently good producer for me. This opener from his LP a few years back, featuring Erik Dillard, I always imagine as the beginning of a great set:

Going back some years to when I used to be glued to Bobby and Steve's show on Kiss FM every Thursday. This 1991 tune has been reissued in instrumental form (?!) when the full vocal is what gives it added urgency. Oh, and great video :thumbsup:

9 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Great stuff - reminds me a lot of this one:-

Reminds me of all those house tracks that got played in places like Shelley’s in Stoke, pin up girl et al...

Mal

37 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Here is a killer Garage tune from way back when, vocal mix is the one you want 🙂

Terry Hunter is another of those consistently good artists, and what a track record. You think this tune might have had some influence on Incognito's hit of the following year, "Every day"?

Remember the park avenue tune getting played Micky, I’d totally forgotten that track, so many things on that label were great, allot did get missed a bit...great label 🙂

it would simply be rude not to mention Ten City in this thread, take your pick guys, but Devotion is still right up there...

brilliant! this is what got me started at the age of 14, then over the years gradualy worked backwards through 80s soul, disco, 2 step/rare groove, crossover to northern and r&b. was a huge fan at the time of blaze, masters at work, 95 north, swing city, smack productions, cajmere etc. but mostly the new jersey stuff until around 98, after that most of it got a bit too smooth and coffee table for my liking! the kerry chandler inspiration track was hammered for quite a long time (was it garage city with bobby + steve?) and brighter days I think is one of the greats. this was before my time but I always though it was a great fully formed song rather than a track-

this is the kind of stuff I had at the time though:

2 hours ago, modesixty said:

brilliant! this is what got me started at the age of 14, then over the years gradualy worked backwards through 80s soul, disco, 2 step/rare groove, crossover to northern and r&b. was a huge fan at the time of blaze, masters at work, 95 north, swing city, smack productions, cajmere etc. but mostly the new jersey stuff until around 98, after that most of it got a bit too smooth and coffee table for my liking! the kerry chandler inspiration track was hammered for quite a long time (was it garage city with bobby + steve?) and brighter days I think is one of the greats. this was before my time but I always though it was a great fully formed song rather than a track-

Bobby & Steve definitely got behind "Inspiration". Thanks for posting the Tears of Velva track - new to me. I always liked Lonnie Gordon, even thought her collaboration with SAW was pretty good. Speaking of which, I remember Blues and Soul getting very excited about "British house" when Mel and Kim released "Respectable" ...

The Smokin Beats tune I remember well from the late 90s. From around the same period is this excellent remake of the George Duke classic by Kings of Tomorrow:

Back to 1987 for this original and best album mix of this particular tune. Will Downing is more of a crooner these days, but on the Arthur Baker-led Wally Jump Jr and the Criminal Element project he was giving it some:

Posted (edited)

Loving these, thanks all - keep 'em coming 😀

Here's a few from me for today, first the super soulful Panevino feat Charles Dockins 'The best of me' 

Next the pounding Rocco 'Someday', remixed recently but prefer this version from 2008

Edited by Chris Turnbull

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.