Chris Turnbull

Soulful House / Garage Picks

5 hours ago, Cunnie said:

Really like that, very soulful - reminds me of the Deep Jazzy Vocal Mix of the brilliant Marlon D / Taana Gardner 'It's you I need' - unfortunately no youtube clip of that mix so can't post but pennies on discogs, well worth buying blind if you don't know it

Glenn Underground.  There's nothing more to say really........just that he's the main man!

You gotta listen to these records a few times to let them really get into the grey matter.........then you'll be hearing something new in there each listen!

On 16/08/2018 at 21:19, Sutty said:

i’d forgotten about most of these records, I’ll stop for now or I’ll be here all night 

Superb record, thanks for posting.

Also from 1996, Reflexion with Laura Alford:

I hope no-one minds me doing this here as I have previously shared these in the appropriate place but they may have been missed by folk who would enjoy them......give 'em a try.....here's a starter for ten....

Edited by Mark R

Still one of my favourite vinyl releases - many of the best releases happened in a purple patch between 93 and 2002.

In 1993 it was still US House and Garage and it hadn't all been over classified

One more for this lunch break: my collection of house 12s is very valuable to me although I have whites galore that I should play and don't know what they are.  One thing was for sure - in most instances you were getting a great production. These days many of the productions are questionable and then strangled further by a shit file size on MP3. Hope you enjoyed a few picks of my fave 12s

Seems we'll have to agree to disagree on what we call the golden period.  Seems some of you like an earlier rawer sound which I often feel dates easily.  I like the more lush, musical stuff from later years.....but of course it's not an exact science and there are earlier productions I love to bits......I still feel that stuff dates a bit easily though.

This is one of my ultimate favourites from my preferred period.  This will sound good forever and a day.......

5 minutes ago, Kev John said:

Jumping forward to 2002 

Ron Carroll -Natural ( BBN Deep Vocal )

A definite Without Boundaries spin as a new release!  Tune.....but what the he'll has happened to Ron Carroll these days?!!

Cheers,

Mark R

3 minutes ago, Mark R said:

A definite Without Boundaries spin as a new release!  Tune.....but what the he'll has happened to Ron Carroll these days?!!

Cheers,

Mark R

Good times @ Without Boundries here's another from Ron the following year 

Dunna know what happened to him !

Atb kev:hatsoff2:

OK bear with me guys, I started buying this stuff "88-91" and then again "98-2003" or thereabouts

Chris, during my 1st phase (88-91) I was living in London and buying mainly from the great Time Is Right shop on Chapel Market Islington. I would get home play my new 12s and give Pip a ring in Manchester and 9 times out of 10 he"d been out that morning and bought the same 12s 😀

One of the 1st for me was this piece of Larry Heard produced loveliness

Cheers Paul

3 hours ago, soul shrews said:

Chris, during my 1st phase (88-91) I was living in London and buying mainly from the great Time Is Right shop on Chapel Market Islington. I would get home play my new 12s and give Pip a ring in Manchester and 9 times out of 10 he"d been out that morning and bought the same 12s 😀

Hi Paul, that's funny, when I used to cadge a lift with Pip to Bradford Queens Hall niters around 1990/91 he always played a lot of house tunes in the car - in fact one I particularly liked, an Italian 12" Ronnie & The Fishermen 'The price of love', he found a copy for me on Longsight Market which I still have.

In truth while I liked some of the house stuff at that time and used to go and watch Pip DJ'ing downstairs at Bradford, I was more into the northern and could mostly be found in the main room, though in hindsight I wish I'd spent more time downstairs.

For anyone interested here's a nice youtube clip of Bradford QH downstairs room at the niters around that time - any other memories of it? Tune playing is J. Cap 'Tell me why'

4 hours ago, soul shrews said:

OK bear with me guys, I started buying this stuff "88-91" and then again "98-2003" or thereabouts

One of the 1st for me was this piece of Larry Heard produced loveliness

Cheers Paul

Great post Paul, forgotten how good that is - just found a NM 12" for £4 on discogs 👌

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.