Chris Turnbull profile photo

Soulful House / Garage Picks

Posted

Slowing it down a bit with my favourite mix of the wonderful Artful & Ridney feat Terri Walker 'Missing you' (Future Disco Odyssey Edit) which I just picked up recently on hard to find vinyl 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Finally for now a big recent favourite for me, the brilliant John Morales M&M Main Mix of Far Out Monster Disco Orchestra's 'Step into my life' 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Another one with a Ten City connection Byron Stingily 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Ending this session with this from 2002 - it's always the other one that gets played, but I prefer this collaboration between DJ Spinna and Shaun Escoffery:

this was the sean escoffery track for me, the first 2 and a half minutes are just beats, but when the piano kicks in its a beauty. the dj spinna mix of days like these still gets played a lot but you never really hear this one

and speaking of uk stuff, maw did a lovely d'influence remix in the late 90s. got played fairly regularly played on the pirates at the time

as did this one, was a bit odd as it was always played between all the rough and bumpy uk stuff, but it was really popular

Edited by modesixty

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
14 minutes ago, modesixty said:

this was the sean escoffery track for me, the first 2 and a half minutes are just beats, but when the piano kicks in its a beauty. the dj spinna mix of days like these still gets played a lot but you never really hear this one

Working my way through the posts and this is a total beaut - 100% the reason I started the thread, to hear tracks like this - have bought a mint 12" of it just now on discogs so thanks very much 😀👌

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Love this one:

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
7 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

Back to 1987 for this original and best album mix of this particular tune. Will Downing is more of a crooner these days, but on the Arthur Baker-led Wally Jump Jr and the Criminal Element project he was giving it some:

Love this one - did it pick up many plays at the time?

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Soul Agent said:

Love this one:

Wow that is good - new to me - great vocals

Edited by Chris Turnbull

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I can’t split house, I mean yes soulful house is brill but I listened to everything in the 8ts and 9ts, house never ever suffored the in fighting Northern gets, so if it was good it got played, so Chris if you take a leap you might enjoy this one also

Edited by Mal C

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

And I cannot ‘not’ post this one, all time favourite and fooking cool track !

Back to the soulful stuff then otherwise I’ll start on the Acid, unless you would all like to partake ? Lol

that sean escoffery is brilliant btw

Edited by Mal C

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
14 hours ago, Mal C said:

Heres a killer Garage tune from the early 9ts, really soulful stuff

vocal mix is the one you want 🙂

Just had to buy the 12" of this too 😁 - superb stuff thanks

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

This was huge a few years ago, time for a resurgence ?

• Up vote 3
  • Listening 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Remember these from a Tony Humphries set

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Mal C said:

I can’t split house, I mean yes soulful house is brill but I listened to everything in the 8ts and 9ts, house never ever suffored the in fighting Northern gets, so if it was good it got played, so Chris if you take a leap you might enjoy this one also

Yeah I like both of those Mal, know the Man Ray but not Pret a Porter. I am right with you, doesn't have to be soulful house for me though I do lean towards a thumping beat and a soulful vocal

Edited by Chris Turnbull

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

This is brilliant, I can't go quick enough lol

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
5 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Yeah I like both of those Mal, know the Man Ray but not Pret a Porter. I am right with you, doesn't have to be soulful house for me though I do lean towards a thumping beat and a soulful vocal

Mal, a good example of a totally non-soul house tune that I love to bits

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

lesser known Detroit gem from the late, great Aaron Carl...deep as you like...  

Edited by cookandspin
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Detroit uptempo techno soul monster from the incredible Mike Banks at Underground Resistance                                                                                                                                                            

Edited by cookandspin
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

lovely Lisa Stansfield classic given a wicked jazzy remix by the Blaze boys way back in the early days                                                                                                                                                     

Edited by cookandspin
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

and of course there are very few more uplifting tunes than this. Yet another early classic from the mighty Kevin Hedges and Josh Milan AKA Blaze....                                                                                               

Edited by cookandspin
  • Up vote 4

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

peoples definition of house may vary though this would certainly have been played by Frankie, Larry and Ron. Pedigree soul from Gladys Knight and Walter Gibbons.

Edited by cookandspin

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

One last one from me. Yet another artist well known and loved on the northern soul circuit with a tune that straddles the boundaries of genres but definitely got played in my deep house and garage sets over the years....be patient...it's a bit of a builder...

Edited by cookandspin
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

Just loved the vocals on this one  & so hypnotic 

As every thing i post got to be vinyl !!!! :wink:

Edited by Kev John
  • Up vote 1
  • Listening 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

To continue with the old school theme ; this one takes me back. 1988 DJ International 12. 

• Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

more Blaze brilliance

soon to be released 'i remember crossover'

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

last one for now.

I love this; one of my favourite 12's ever never fails to get me since 2004.

deep house deep deep deep and soulful. Its a broad church. 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, neiljon31 said:

more Blaze brilliance

soon to be released 'i remember crossover'

there is a track called 'sweeter than the day before' on the same Lp, which is a pure classic.. actually find 'remember house' a tad irritating 😞  its very tongue in cheek isn't it...sorry dude...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

always try to get this one into any discussion.. awesome record 🙂

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 3

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Bit of Hot Mix 5 madness... from Ralph 'Rockin' Rosario...

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)

I guess we are all ages on here, but this record was a 'Game Changer' we all danced to the Snake, Nine time out of ten, and all that at school disco, none of my mates would dance to any Rude Boy stuff, we hated all that.... this however was immediate straight to the FLOOR!!   ahhh the spoils of youth 🙂 lol

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, pilgrimsoul said:

This was huge a few years ago, time for a resurgence ?

I missed this one, bloody AWESOME record... resurgence, yes please 🙂

Edited by Mal C

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Brilliant.....

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
6 hours ago, Mal C said:

always try to get this one into any discussion.. awesome record 🙂

My favorite and very "Chic" remix - 

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Super spiritual house stuff from 2006.

He Moves.

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 21/07/2018 at 07:15, cookandspin said:

peoples definition of house may vary though this would certainly have been played by Frankie, Larry and Ron. Pedigree soul from Gladys Knight and Walter Gibbons.

This mix one of my absolute favourites, full stop. Takes me to another place - played it and played it over the years

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

A few choice cuts from me, first up Frankie Knuckles sublime remix of MJ's 'Rock with you'

• Up vote 2

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Mousse T's mix of Randy Crawford 'Wishing on a star'

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

While we're at the poppy end check out Frankie Knuckles superb mix of Whitney Houston's 'Million Dollar Bill'

• Up vote 1

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Couple of cool Larry Heard tracks to finish tonight, 'Burning 4 Love' and 'Missing You' - my kind of deep house. Keep posting 👍

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 20/07/2018 at 21:01, Chris Turnbull said:

Slowing it down a bit with my favourite mix of the wonderful Artful & Ridney feat Terri Walker 'Missing you' (Future Disco Odyssey Edit) which I just picked up recently on hard to find vinyl 

A big Pete Collins play ... and always good to hear the very versatile Terri Walker :thumbsup:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
On 20/07/2018 at 23:36, Chris Turnbull said:

Love this one - did it pick up many plays at the time?

Don't remember it being played at all ... this was the tune that grabbed the attention - no surprise, given the Archie Bell/Janet Jackson ingredients. This seems to be the album version, which for me is also head and shoulders above the various remixes out there. The album stands up very well and is cheap as chips in both formats on Discogs:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
9 hours ago, Chris Turnbull said:

While we're at the poppy end check out Frankie Knuckles superb mix of Whitney Houston's 'Million Dollar Bill'

There wasn't much Frankie Knuckles couldn't make great - he had a real feel for the grandeur of an arrangement and how that would sound played out. Here's one of his by Candi Staton that's getting a lot of play at the moment because of some other mixes circulating, but this is the one:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

This seems to follow the previous tune ... Chili Funk was a great label for soulful dance music and there's a lot to be rediscovered there, including this from Eastwest Connection, doing a very atmospheric version of a dancefloor filler. Should fill the floors in its own right I reckon...

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Another Chili Funk favourite was this from No Tenshun, which I remember getting hammered on Soul 24-7:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

From around the same era (early 2000s) comes this clever use of Bunny Sigler's "My Music" from DJ Fudge:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Hip house, anyone? As a genre it didn't really last but it contains a few gems, such as this obscurity from Danny Tenaglia as Deep State II. I only ever heard Norman Jay play it, although it also turns up on a mix cd by Bill Brewster. Made at a time when that First Choice "Double crossed" sample seemed to be everywhere:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted

Back to 1988 for this poppy obscurity. Italo house meets Afro? Club House had 2 hits that I can remember, both mashups. First was Steely Dan's Do it Again with MJ's Billie Jean, but this caught my ears for the use of Mory Kante's Yeke Yeke:

Share this forum post

soul source url
Posted
1 hour ago, Mickey Finn said:

Don't remember it being played at all ... this was the tune that grabbed the attention - no surprise, given the Archie Bell/Janet Jackson ingredients. This seems to be the album version, which for me is also head and shoulders above the various remixes out there. The album stands up very well and is cheap as chips in both formats on Discogs:

That's brilliant, love it - superb mash up of two great tunes - always thought JJ 'when I think of you' underrated. 

Share this forum post

soul source url

Audio Lists - Source Music Forum

Themed soul youtube music video lists

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Get started now!

Get max use of the forums

1. Soulful House / Garage For Sale
    Record Sales by Guest on Mon 22 Aug 2005
    • 1 / 666
    • on 22 Aug 2005
  2. Soulful House And Garage
    Events Archive by Guest Decroco on Mon 18 Jun 2007
    • 6 / 510
    • Cunnie on 30 Jun 2007
  3. Soulful House And Garage At 'qube' Sheffield
    Events Archive by Guest Decroco on Tue 19 Jun 2007
    • 1 / 405
    • Decroco on 19 Jun 2007
  4. Soulful House/garage
    All About the SOUL by Dave Moore on Mon 01 Dec 2008
    • 282 / 8765
    • Dave Moore on 03 Dec 2008
  5. Soulful House And Garage 12 Inch And Rare Lps
    Record Sales by perux on Wed 02 Sep 2009
    • 1 / 342
    • perux on 02 Sep 2009
  6. Soul-full House And Garage @ Qube Sheffield
    Events Archive by Guest Decroco on Tue 26 Jun 2007
    • 2 / 245
    • SteveM on 26 Jun 2007

Source Adverts

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.