Soulful House / Garage Picks

wow! rochelle fleming. i hammered that on a roger sanchez cassette mix but never knew what it was. and larry heard missing you must be one of the great records as far as house goes. this one came out mid 2000's, it's pretty nice despite the slightly dubious poetry (i think that was a bit of a thing at the time), seems to channel the feeling heard had with the gherkin stuff.

and i always thought this one would be popular with a modern room type crowd, yep, its that arnold jarvis again!

on another note, I've never seen that darryl pandy/farley jackmaster video, its incredible! which reminds me of something else, has anyone here ever watched the new dance show? was a successor to the scene, which was sort of a detroit only soul train. for early stuff in context its pretty fascinating, sure it was probably watched by teenagers after school, but being as I didnt grow up in detroit, it looks pretty cool. there's tons of it on the internet, with lots of early-ish house/hip house and euro stuff mixed with with detroit electro/early techno, new jack swing and whatever else was happening at the time. it's a really nice time capsule, very low budget and quite awkward in a way. club culture never seems to look that great on the telly, but this might be as good as it gets..

Edited by modesixty
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Guest Spain pete

Great thread some fantastic posts, 3 from me can't post them up ,TAKE ME AWAY / MASS ORDER, CRITICAL/ WALL OF SOUND, FOLLOW ME /ALY US big plays in the basement at various venues 🎶🎶

Social source share

That Mass Order tune reminded me that Loleatta Holloway had a significant role in the early days of house, usually as an uncredited sample. She chased Black Box for royalties, and while she was in the UK recorded this with Ian Levine in 1989. Her voice was not in the best condition, but it holds up quite well otherwise:

Social source share

Before that, Loleatta had recorded with Farley Jackmaster Funk in Chicago. There are various versions of this - the original is by far the most traditional and even has echoes of Skyy's "Call me" and Powerline's "Journey":

Then it was given a minimalist makeover:

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Mickey Finn said:

Polish house? If it's like this, why not - Phil Kingswood put this on at Whitby 3 years ago and the floor went mental - Loui and Scibi given the DJ Meme makeover, from 2010:

Just catching up with some of the posts while I'm supposed to be working lol - love this 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Mickey Finn said:

That Mass Order tune reminded me that Loleatta Holloway had a significant role in the early days of house, usually as an uncredited sample. She chased Black Box for royalties, and while she was in the UK recorded this with Ian Levine in 1989. Her voice was not in the best condition, but it holds up quite well otherwise:

Like that one - touch of the Hit Man & Her's about it but none the worse. You are right about her voice though, nothing like in the 70's

Social source share