Jump to content
  • Sign Up
dogsbody

Most Scary Allnighter back in the 70s

Recommended Posts

I'd like to run this one past the older readers out there.

What was the most scary club anybody went to that was well known back in the early days? (I don't mean some bar in a village that nobody has heard of). Now this place can also be a place you really dug, or it can be a place you really hated. One of the reasons for this question is that in my era there was a gang (everybody knew about them) that made life a real pain for some people, yet some were never bothered by them, but they are never mentioned in these forums, as if the didn't exist. If you know who I mean put in your reply. If you don't, fine.Just put your reasons for your reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never felt scared at Wigan or Cleethorpes or Colwyn Bay. No one ever threatened me or the people I was with. The Allnighters were safe havens compared to football matches and pubs in my home town. The 70’s were a violent decade, particularly at the school disco and local nightclub.

I know some folk have reported on intimidation and violence at Wigan but I never observed this. Other threads have touched upon this theme but I think you are barking up the wrong tree. The camaraderie at Wigan was overwhelming with a general aura of happiness prevailing. There was no gang spoiling things for people and the bouncers generally had a very quiet night after managing the crush at the door. Wigan Casino may have been attended by villains from all over the country but there was no hassle amongst them, in fact, the complete opposite as they joined forces to do a bit of midnight browsing at pharmacies along the way. Anyway, who cares if some 15 year old had his drugs taken off him in the bogs?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

That's not quite what I meant. The thing is if I were to ask straight out if anybody if anybody got grief from "*******" I'd most likely get booted off the site by the PC police. Maybe someone will mention there name of the town they came from, we'll see.

I have to agree with you generally. I never felt intimidated or paranoid (except when I bought on myself by staying awake too long and eating too many dubes).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah Man, 

You got it spot on. I didn't start going to actual allnighters  'till just after the Torch. Leeds Central was my first. This "edge"you mentioned didn't bother me, I kind of thought it added to the atmosphere of a club or whatever. You had to keep your wits about you to a certain extent or you'd be in the shit, and I think bus loads of twats in baggy pants shouldn't have been there in the first place. But I'm not saying anybody should be hit/robbed etc.etc. just because they were divs. 

One of the "problems" I'm alluding to, I could have written down, but as the nick-name of this lot contains not only the name of their home town but also a derogatory slang word  for their ethnicity, I thought I'd let things take their own course for a while.

thanks for your reply.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, dogsbody said:

Yeah Man, 

You got it spot on. I didn't start going to actual allnighters  'till just after the Torch. Leeds Central was my first. This "edge"you mentioned didn't bother me, I kind of thought it added to the atmosphere of a club or whatever. You had to keep your wits about you to a certain extent or you'd be in the shit, and I think bus loads of twats in baggy pants shouldn't have been there in the first place. But I'm not saying anybody should be hit/robbed etc.etc. just because they were divs. 

One of the "problems" I'm alluding to, I could have written down, but as the nick-name of this lot contains not only the name of their home town but also a derogatory slang word  for their ethnicity, I thought I'd let things take their own course for a while.

thanks for your reply.

Sounds like you have an axe to grind... Maybe time to put this grievance to bed one way or another and hopefully come out on top.

Having missed the Allnighter scene pre 1974, I can only assume it was the cliques of skinheads/suedeheads/mods that intimidated folk at the early venues. Sure, some non-partisan punters would have travelled by coach in those days, but loads would have been the bedrock of the scene later in the decade and sported the fashion of the time that set them aside from the rest.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Those 'bus loads of twats in baggy pants'  you refer to,  were folk who wore the attire of the day.   it wasnt a Wigan casino fashion ,  it was FASHION !

   only bother i ever had ,   was in Nottingham,  both times!      one was in the Brit (trentside), by a large guy who insisted i bought some gear off him, in the toilets,   he wouldnt take no for an answer,   but thankfully, a bouncer came in,  told me to leave, then proceeded to kick the shit out of the dealer.

  The other one was at Nottm Palais,    a bunch of trouble causers (who were noticed by a few people) were loitering by the foyer steps.  I was unaware until a shoe hit me on the hand,  this got attention from the bouncers,  but they did nothing.   eventually we left,  but the morons waited at the doors.  i got grief from one, who i duly smacked square on the nose,    he hit the deck,  my pals legged it up parlaiment st,  with me quickly catching up,  we hit the station and thankfully got home in one piece. (nearly 40 years later,   my right hand where shoe hit me,  still gives me hassle in the cold weather)

   the stories of events 'outside of venues is another thing......

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't have an axe to grind, though I can see why you might think so. I have explained why I cant name this particular crowd. You mention skinheads , suedeheads and mods.  These youth  cults are almost polar opposites from the guys I'm thinking of. And I'm talking 73 to 74. Where I was living then, mods had died out in 65, skins in 1970 and suedeheads in72, (except for a few criminally deluded twats, and every town has some of them).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Coming from Widnes ,which  had more than its fair share of dodgy people when I started going Casino nighters in 1975 it wasn't such a problem  . It's just that they where from a different dodgy place than you. Yes there was still Dodgy characters knocking about., plenty of them became good friends over the years and still are, those that are still alive and well that is.   Far too many of them have passed away to young. 

Its partly  what made the scene what it is today and what's missing is the characters from today's scene . 

Steve 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Definite edge to the all-nighters from 73 to 75 when I was starting out. You had to keep alert for sure. I never carried lots of money on me. Dubes were hidden in the midweek in certain places that you could pick up at the weekend on your way to the nighters. Most towns had older guys who would terrorise us youngsters. I'm from Blackburn and we had them. One notorious chap tried to take my Como shoes off me midweek at a local disco. Bastard. I've never forgotten that. I shit my pants.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Coming from Widnes ,which  had more than its fair share of dodgy people when I started going Casino nighters in 1975 it wasn't such a problem  . It's just that they where from a different dodgy place than you. Yes there was still Dodgy characters knocking about., plenty of them became good friends over the years and still are, those that are still alive and well that is.   Far too many of them have passed away to young. 

Its partly  what made the scene what it is today and what's missing is the characters from today's scene . 

Steve 

Spot on there mate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, Joey said:

No Frankie, I think you may have got him wrong. Pre 74, it wasn't skins, suedes or old mods doing the rolling and ripping off. It was actually well known and long standing members of the scene. Many of these, if not most, had cut their teeth at the Wheel, and were by 74 much older, bigger, and scarier than the majority of the rest of us. Remember, Torch, VaVa and early Wigan the majority of us attendees were between the ages of 15 and 17, so a group of lads aged nineteen to twenty seemed far more mature to us. And far more intimidating.

Coaches? From what I remember, the coach loads of people didn't start appearing until late 74 at the very earliest. The major influx of Divs by coach began early 75. Prior to all that, it was train and/or a lift for those of us who lived more than 25 miles away from the venue. Unless you anted to change buses six times 🙂 

I am beginning to think Joey is at least looking in the right direction.

 

8 minutes ago, Joey said:

No Frankie, I think you may have got him wrong. Pre 74, it wasn't skins, suedes or old mods doing the rolling and ripping off. It was actually well known and long standing members of the scene. Many of these, if not most, had cut their teeth at the Wheel, and were by 74 much older, bigger, and scarier than the majority of the rest of us. Remember, Torch, VaVa and early Wigan the majority of us attendees were between the ages of 15 and 17, so a group of lads aged nineteen to twenty seemed far more mature to us. And far more intimidating.

Coaches? From what I remember, the coach loads of people didn't start appearing until late 74 at the very earliest. The major influx of Divs by coach began early 75. Prior to all that, it was train and/or a lift for those of us who lived more than 25 miles away from the venue. Unless you anted to change buses six times 🙂 

I think Joey is looking in the right direction. Of course I may have got it wrong, but I don't think so.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, IanP said:

Those 'bus loads of twats in baggy pants'  you refer to,  were folk who wore the attire of the day.   it wasnt a Wigan casino fashion ,  it was FASHION !

   only bother i ever had ,   was in Nottingham,  both times!      one was in the Brit (trentside), by a large guy who insisted i bought some gear off him, in the toilets,   he wouldnt take no for an answer,   but thankfully, a bouncer came in,  told me to leave, then proceeded to kick the shit out of the dealer.

  The other one was at Nottm Palais,    a bunch of trouble causers (who were noticed by a few people) were loitering by the foyer steps.  I was unaware until a shoe hit me on the hand,  this got attention from the bouncers,  but they did nothing.   eventually we left,  but the morons waited at the doors.  i got grief from one, who i duly smacked square on the nose,    he hit the deck,  my pals legged it up parlaiment st,  with me quickly catching up,  we hit the station and thankfully got home in one piece. (nearly 40 years later,   my right hand where shoe hit me,  still gives me hassle in the cold weather)

   the stories of events 'outside of venues is another thing......

 

20 minutes ago, IanP said:

Those 'bus loads of twats in baggy pants'  you refer to,  were folk who wore the attire of the day.   it wasnt a Wigan casino fashion ,  it was FASHION !

   only bother i ever had ,   was in Nottingham,  both times!      one was in the Brit (trentside), by a large guy who insisted i bought some gear off him, in the toilets,   he wouldnt take no for an answer,   but thankfully, a bouncer came in,  told me to leave, then proceeded to kick the shit out of the dealer.

  The other one was at Nottm Palais,    a bunch of trouble causers (who were noticed by a few people) were loitering by the foyer steps.  I was unaware until a shoe hit me on the hand,  this got attention from the bouncers,  but they did nothing.   eventually we left,  but the morons waited at the doors.  i got grief from one, who i duly smacked square on the nose,    he hit the deck,  my pals legged it up parlaiment st,  with me quickly catching up,  we hit the station and thankfully got home in one piece. (nearly 40 years later,   my right hand where shoe hit me,  still gives me hassle in the cold weather)

   the stories of events 'outside of venues is another thing......

I kind of thought a whole load of fighting bullshit was going to attach itself to this sooner or later. Nobody cares if you smacked a bouncer 30 years ago. Tell your mates down the pub, maybe they'll be interested.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Sign up/in to remove

6 hours ago, dogsbody said:

 

I kind of thought a whole load of fighting bullshit was going to attach itself to this sooner or later. Nobody cares if you smacked a bouncer 30 years ago. Tell your mates down the pub, maybe they'll be interested.

i obviously hit a nerve here,   not a Bouncer...    read it again,     you said scary,    believe me,  it WAS scary for a 16 year old

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Went plenty of exciting all nighters, but never A scary 1 , carnt remember if they did A Halloween niter back then , I’m sure if it was so scary peeps wouldn’t go A 2nd time , find going out A lot more scary now than I did 40 plus years ago .

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Soulsides said:

 

Hahaha.

Someone starts a thread about 'the scariest allnighter back in the 70's' then objects when another forum member who was obviously atround at the time mentioned actually talks of a bad experience they had to go through at an allnighter back in the 70s ??

 

Pathetic.

 

That's because you are missing the point, either because you want to try and impress everybody with your tales of pubescent machismo. Or because you are really dim.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Sounds like you have an axe to grind... Maybe time to put this grievance to bed one way or another and hopefully come out on top.

Having missed the Allnighter scene pre 1974, I can only assume it was the cliques of skinheads/suedeheads/mods that intimidated folk at the early venues. Sure, some non-partisan punters would have travelled by coach in those days, but loads would have been the bedrock of the scene later in the decade and sported the fashion of the time that set them aside from the rest.

Sounds like you are having trouble grasping the point of this thread. This being the case why not "put your pen down", that way you can't make yourself look any stupider than you already have.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, dogsbody said:

That's because you are missing the point, either because you want to try and impress everybody with your tales of pubescent machismo. Or because you are really dim

You,mate are seriously unbelievable....

Are you feeling mentally unstable ?

''pubescent machismo'

Lololol

 

This thread stinks.I give up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Sounds like you are having trouble grasping the point of this thread. This being the case why not "put your pen down", that way you can't make yourself look any stupider than you already have.

Hi, I notice you're getting a lot of negative down-votes.

It's the tone, would you mind easing up a bit on the snarky responses!

The thread you've started is going to attract a few stories of the nature you're objecting to.

Cheers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
29 minutes ago, Steve S 60 said:

Steve, everybody knows that you can use stupider as a comparative adjective, in lieu of most stupid, or even the superlative stupidest instead of most stupid, but the latter in each case looks and sounds better in my opinion.

I know mate. It was just one of those words that I had to look up to see if it actually existed in the dictionary.  Apparently it's French in its origins which has become bastardised into the plural form of the word stupid. 

To me it's like worser. But hey I'm not the cleverest person in the world when it comes to the English language  

Just read that it's actually in some dictionaries but it didn't say which one's . And that adding " er " to a word was made popular by Shakespeare of all people.  

Steve 

Edited by Winsford Soul

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi Dogsbody,

Could reply to your positively weird request ,with Wheel, Blue Note, Top 20 ,experiences, but they would be absoluely tame in comparison to U.K Knife Crime ,World Cup Celebrations and Tory Party Scary Chequers Nighters. You Need to" Get A Life My amigo" . LOL John Hart ,Malaga ,Spain.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Would like to apologise to mods for going off topic. 

Steve 

Do they really still have Mods where you live? I remember them when I was about 9 or 10, but they were few and far between. the Hippies and Skinheads had become the fashion by then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 22/07/2018 at 01:01, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

I admit, I am really struggling to grasp the point of this thread. You raise the topic of some gang scaring people over 40 years ago then refuse to say where they are from or who they are. You then insult people who have endeavoured to address your mysterious thread. If you were a victim of scary Allnighters, why not seek some counselling?

I wasn't a victim, but I notice that this particular gang (who were notorious in my day) were known by almost everybody, yet they seem to have been airbrushed out of the history of allnighters in the 70s. as I have explained I can't come right out and say what they were known as because their "nick name" would, today be considered racially derogative, and the pc police among you would go nuts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, dogsbody said:

Do they really still have Mods where you live? I remember them when I was about 9 or 10, but they were few and far between. the Hippies and Skinheads had become the fashion by then.

😄seriously ? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, dogsbody said:

I wasn't a victim, but I notice that this particular gang (who were notorious in my day) were known by almost everybody, yet they seem to have been airbrushed out of the history of allnighters in the 70s. as I have explained I can't come right out and say what they were known as because their "nick name" would, today be considered racially derogative, and the pc police among you would go nuts.

So tell us which clubs they attended, what they did and who they affected. Are these people still on the scene - if so, perhaps you could say where they are from? From what you hint at, it’s probably best these turds are ‘airbrushed’ from the annals as most genuine music lovers would probably not enjoy reading about them in any case.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Sign Up

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign up now!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts



×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.