• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

First: Aretha Franklin - Chain of fools

Flipped it over and fell in love with Prove it

Last: Cynthia Sheeler - Love you (more than words can say) Superdome

Hi

Although I had started, by borrowing my Mothers Records- Motown, The First one that I remember buying;

1st - I was made To Love Her - Stevie Wonder - Tamla Motown

Last - Ric-Tic 129 White DEMO Flaming Embers - Let's Have A Love In

-----& Chess 1967 White DEMO - Big Maybelle - It's A Mans, Mans, World

Edited by 45cellar
Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Bought my first "original" northern soul record at the Va Va in Bolton from a real character, who I'm sure some of the folks on here will remember - Kegsy from Bradford

What was it you ask - great philly soul from the Ethics - Standing in the darkness on Vent.

.........and the last one physically through the door is a great piece of Chicago soul from Henry Ford on the obscure Starfall label, a great double sider :

"Take me for what I am" - a simply stunning ballad b/w a great piece of uptempo funk "I love you and I need you"

(Copies of this on John Manship site at 30 quid last time I looked - great double sided soul record and one that I'd highly recommend to true soul lovers, but, its not a northern soul record)

Take care and have a great weekend :wicked:

John

Social source share

1st original US was Larry Williams & Johnny Watson-Too Late at Sheffield Samanthas off Pat Brady

Most recent was Under the moon-Rufus Wonder-Lendo WLD off Tim Ashebende at Tunstall on Tuesday nite! :thumbsup:

I sold a Williams&Watson, Too Late.at Samanthas with a picture cover,£2 or £3 :wicked: only, Its got my name in the run out groove.

Regards,Kev.

Edited by good angel
Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

first SOUL record bought in 1965

Four Tops --- I Can't Help Myself (sugar pie honey bunch)

last one bought 3weeks ago (well its crimbo) Leela James --- Change Is Gonna Come

Social source share

Good question....the one i can remember buying first was i think Little Anthony And The Imperials - Better Use Your Head B/W Gonna Fix You Good - UK United Artists re issue from Rumblows in Reading would have been 1976 i think.

Latest an all time want took ages to locate is The Liberty Belles - Shing A Ling Time - Shout White Demo made up with this, still gives me a buzz this record lark...lol

Mark Bicknell.

found a copy of the liberty belles in a shop full of foster & allen , klaus wonderlich stuff he had little 2nd hand selection & i think i gave 50p for it mind you it was 1988 :thumbsup: ,

1st quick change artist soul twins - grapevine

last outside world drifters - atlantic

Social source share

Waht was the first soul 45 you bought?

What was the last soul 45 you bought?

To start with here's mine, first: Turnin My Heartbeat Up - MVP's (UK Buddah)

last: You Shake Me Up - Lou Bond (Brainstorm)

Will include all replies in Soul View II, issue #3 - out very soon :lol:

Fantastic response, thanks to all :lol: keep 'em coming :lol:

Social source share

Mine was prob something like Londonbeat - I've been Thinking About You

:thumbsup:

Thought it was meant to be a Soul thread, in that case my first was Ruts - Babylons burning.

Simon

Social source share

First record purchased (1977): The Brothers "Sing Me" (UK Bus Stop) - an Opportunity Knocks winner in a pop-reggae sort of vein

....Play the other side! Nice if you like bouncy Northern.

My first and last soul records:

First: Queen Of Clubs - KC & The Sunshine Band (JayBoy)

Last: Get It - Jay Dee Bryant (Enjoy)

Edited by Gene-R
Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

My first : Queen Of Clubs - KC & The Sunshine Band (JayBoy)

And I still remember you doing your spins at La Beat Route on a Saturday Afternoon to it Gene :rolleyes:

First: buy as a northern soul punter was 'The Right Track' I think :thumbsup: did have quite a few Motown stuff before though

Last: Little Carl Carlton - So What - Lando

:shhh:

Edited by Spinning Vinyl
Social source share

Guest Spinning Vinyl

Aah, the memories Chris!

BTW, sorry I haven't got back to you yet mate - very busy indeed. I'll drop you a PM tonight.

All the best,

Gene

Yes good memories budd :thumbsup: Nps mate its that time of year :rolleyes:

Social source share

1st Soul 45 - Donnie Elbert - Where did our love go - UK London (1971 I think - a monster record at our youth club!!!!)

Last Soul 45 - Gene Redding - Do it with love - US Haven (NOT on the LP) - a blind buy from a few minutes ago on eBay for $1 - Not heard it yet - It could be a future monster dancer, an OK ballad or a funky little mover or maybe just a pile of pants :thumbsup:

Steve Plumb

Social source share

Guest Glawsters Best

first The Tempos - countdown here i come canterbury from the wax machine in

gloucester early 70's

last Don Ray - born a loser RCA DEMO

TALCUM POWDER SOUL EVERY WEDNESDAY

WWW.GLOUCESTERFM.COM 7PM 9PM

IN THE GLOUCESTER AREA 96.6FM

Edited by Glawsters Best
Social source share

laugh.gif

Thought it was meant to be a Soul thread, in that case my first was Ruts - Babylons burning.

Simon

Simon,

I always knew we got similar tastes: fantastic punk anthem!

If we're talking about non-soul records, i think my first purchase was the Cockney Rejects "Flares & Slippers"... :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

What a great thread, only just read it today.

I've never been an avid buyer & am ashamed to say that I can't remember my first :shades:

The first I can remember buying was Bobby Bland "I ain't myself anymore", but I know there were others before...

The last was The Whispers' "Needle in a Haystack"...about 7-8 years ago ohmy.gif .

Shockingly bad collector aren't I? sad.gif

Social source share

Top thread this one!

My first soul - Arthur Conley Funky Street

My latest soul - Ripple I don't know what it is but it sure is Funky

(if I'm allowed to call that soul - if not then it was First Choice Guilty on Philly Groove)

My first 45 of all was :shades: Benny Hill Ernie the Fastest Milkman.

What can I say - every journey begins with the first step & I was only 8 at the time blush.gif

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

it is soul music, i can only remember owning Kenny Thomas - Thinking About Your Love, Londonbeat as first soul records oh and Pasadenas now it's got more oldies

Social source share

1st was something like Little Anthony on the silver spotlight re-issue series Better Use Your Head

Last through the door was Belita Woods Magic Corner

DJ

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Got a nice Italian issue on Derbi with picture sleeve...

You lucky, lucky boy!

I've been shamed by this top thread into breaking the habit of the past 8 years- the wilderness years- as I shall think of them now. I've just bought Otis Redding's 'Dictionary of Soul' from my local market for the princely sum of £3.

'Ou we ni' :thumbsup:

Social source share

You lucky, lucky boy!

I've been shamed by this top thread into breaking the habit of the past 8 years- the wilderness years- as I shall think of them now. I've just bought Otis Redding's 'Dictionary of Soul' from my local market for the princely sum of £3.

'Ou we ni' :thumbsup:

Norman,

can you remember the title on the flip of your Bobby Bland...? (It was on Duke, wasn't it...?)

Roccia

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

Norman,

can you remember the title on the flip of your Bobby Bland...? (It was on Duke, wasn't it...?)

Roccia

Mrs. Norman please :thumbsup:

No, I can't, though I know it's on Duke. I'll go and have a look.

Though, as Captain Oates said, 'I may be some time'......

Social source share

Guest mrs norman maine

can you remember the title on the flip of your Bobby Bland...?

Roccia

Finally found it. It's "Back in the same old bag".

Apologize... blush.gif

Apology most definitely not required :thumbsup:

cheers, Wendy

Social source share

First soul 45 : New Concepts "Give me another chance" (PHILLIPS)

Last soul 45 : Ice "Reality" (ICE)

...first one is still one of my all time faves.. perfect 70s group harmony imo... :thumbsup:

CB

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Waht was the first soul 45 you bought?

What was the last soul 45 you bought?

To start with here's mine, first: Turnin My Heartbeat Up - MVP's (UK Buddah)

last: You Shake Me Up - Lou Bond (Brainstorm)

Will include all replies in Soul View II, issue #3 - out very soon :)

For years I pestered my parents to buy me a record player, but my mum would always say; "Those records are expensive! You'll never have any money!" (Oh, how right she was!)

In the event I got a really cheap record player for Christmas 1967, and bought five records straight off! They were Felice Taylor - "I Feel Love Comin' On" (PRESIDENT), and Four Tops - "Walk Away Renee" (T.M.), along with three pop singles by the Beatles, Small Faces (plus another one, which will remain nameless in order to retain some semblance of street cred!) For another couple of years I bought chart/pop records, until I realised that more than half of them were on the Tamla Motown or Atlantic labels! Eventually the penny dropped...

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!