has a boot been bootlegged itself?

Kenb

I was recently in conversaion when i said "i'd seen a boot-of-a-boot for a higher price than the boot (but not the original)". If you get my drift.

I now wonder if i dreamt it?- and there are any boots-of-boots!

besides which, what is the highest priced boot anyway? if indeed there is such an animal?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Patto said:

I Recall seeing a Recent Boot of the Boot of Dana Valery Y D K W Y I L on the pink Pussy Cat label.The second boot was  selling for more than the 70s one.Just sums up the madness you see all too often.

pretty sure that was it, thanks

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Mal C said:

Isn’t there a boot of the boot of Fredrick Hymes on Fab Vegas, think ebay was littered with them at one point...

Were they actually boots? When this record came to light 15 years or so ago, there were serious questions asked of it back then, many thought it was a brand new press of a previously unreleased version, courtesy of that famous Vegas based wheeler and dealer. 🤫 After one or two copies carefully trickled out for 4 figures, the motherlode spilled out everywhere. WAX TRAX rings a bell for some reason??

Edited by Tai-Pan
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Tai-Pan said:

Were they actually boots? When this record came to light 15 years or so ago, there were serious questions asked of it back then, many thought it was a brand new press of a previously unreleased version, courtesy of that famous Vegas based wheeler and dealer. 🤫 After one or two copies carefully trickled out for 4 figures, the motherlode spilled out everywhere. WAX TRAX rings a bell for some reason??

Think there's a long thread on here about it. 

Social source share

14 minutes ago, Tai-Pan said:

I remember the guy having an eBay name of Brooklyn Born or something similar - He was also selling shed loads of Aint Gonna Run No More.

I got both for $100, the Fredric Hymes  were judged to be legit but the  Royal Esquires were a little bendy. He seemed a genuine guy. 

These were not boots of boots - Maybe a little suspect though  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Patto said:

I Recall seeing a Recent Boot of the Boot of Dana Valery Y D K W Y I L on the pink Pussy Cat label.The second boot was  selling for more than the 70s one.Just sums up the madness you see all too often.

Are you saying that the 1974 boot of Dana Valery on Pussy Cat, been booted again recently?

Social source share

1 hour ago, davetay said:

Are you saying that the 1974 boot of Dana Valery on Pussy Cat, been booted again recently?

yes. Also on stardust label.  A new topic might be what is the most bootlegged single?

Social source share

11 hours ago, Kenb said:

I was recently in conversaion when i said "i'd seen a boot-of-a-boot for a higher price than the boot (but not the original)". If you get my drift.

I now wonder if i dreamt it?- and there are any boots-of-boots!

besides which, what is the highest priced boot anyway? if indeed there is such an animal?

0k, I know this is going off on a tangent slightly, for which I apologise. I find one of the bigger dealers not only sells pressings  for criminal prices, but he's not always clear that the record he's selling is a pressing/ re issue or whatever you want to call it. Some people may say "so what, big deal", but if you are trying to build a great collection and you haven't been around too long, it's very easy to be duped into spending a lot of money on a pile of worthless junk! So people out there, watch out for euphemisms such as 2nd or styrene  or(enter any colour) label. If in doubt ask if it's a bona fide 1st press original. Most soul record dealers are less honest than drug dealers.

Social source share

having seen this thread 

if I want a boot of the Servicemen I can have one made , in MINT unplayed condition for say £20 (which I actually do have)

checking discogs for example shows no entry for that record at all under the Magicians , just the Servicemen

the boot comes under this link https://www.discogs.com/The-Magicians-Sweet-Magic-Connie/release/4768985

I fail to see how a boot (if its a boot with incorrect words) can be worth that price , especially as I have seen boots of it for not much more than the price of a cheap carver

Edited by soundsOKEH
Social source share

It's pure greed, plain and simple.

Look at the prices that geezer in Leicester puts on crappy ol' early 70s pressings. If he can get away with it others will follow. And don't even get me started on "Limited edition Test Pressings" (v. Rare Demos, every one). I've always said it, but i'll say it again, Record dealers are FAR WORSE CROOKS than drug dealers.If they can fleece their customers unnoticed, they will. There are exceptions, but they are pretty scarce.

Social source share

😀Hi All... Not quite sure what you quite expect, but over the time since the Rare Soul scene started there has always been money to be made from bootlegs, this was the bone of contention that the late Dave Godin often wrote about in B&S, He often wrote about records obtained at shops like SOUL CITY, MOORS, CARLOWS, SELECTADISC, REDIFUSION & so on for under £1 were taken up north & sold for a £5 to those people that loved the feeling for All-night Soul,, Back in 1970 John Wilko Wilkinson (Twisted Wheel Brother from NOTT's) found a copy of Chubby Checkers "at the Discotheque" he paid 6d or a tanner if you like? the record was selling for a few £s at the time even though at least 4 bootlegs existed, I actually have the rarest copy from 1968 with the TAMS "hey Girl" on T other side, In 1974 I swapped a Boot of the Velors for a Levi Jackson Columbia DEMO??he still has not forgive m,e who can tell a boot ask Pete S about the YUM YUMS he sold for a few hundred, to conclude who really knows the answer to your question, Willie Hutch/Bobby Hutton sold on EBay for over £100??? true?...

ALL THE B. KTF 

Social source share

On 22/07/2018 at 22:50, geeselad said:

Not northern exactly but frankie knuckles, 'only the strong survive', on Dj int, never issed as a single, the original is a boot of an album cut. Recently re booted, well i hope it was a boot anyway ed sherman deserves screwing over. 

Saw somebody had re done Don Carlos on a lookalike label. Looks right at a glance but clearly not the original up close,  No red import stamp either. 

I bought one of those Frankie knuckles... 

mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

On Fredrick Hymes, there was a second very look alikey 45 that has been discussed, maybe it was a second run from the source? Dunno, was deffo not the first one,

I was referring however to a disc that looked like it had been booted direct from that second 45, it really looked bad and I guess was a very short run, maybe it was a one off...

who knows, great track though...

Social source share

On 22/07/2018 at 23:08, Mick Boyle said:

I remember the guy having an eBay name of Brooklyn Born or something similar - He was also selling shed loads of Aint Gonna Run No More.

I got both for $100, the Fredric Hymes  were judged to be legit but the  Royal Esquires were a little bendy. He seemed a genuine guy. 

These were not boots of boots - Maybe a little suspect though  

The Royal Esquires are real.  I know someone who paid a lot of money for one years ago, and then the ones that turned up in quantity were the same!

The story goes that all the Prix stock was for sale, after the label owner deceased.

The Eddie Ray, Joe King, Royal Esquires, Soul Ensemble, Marion Blacks etc were all there!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

17 hours ago, solidsoul said:

The Royal Esquires are real.  I know someone who paid a lot of money for one years ago, and then the ones that turned up in quantity were the same!

The story goes that all the Prix stock was for sale, after the label owner deceased.

The Eddie Ray, Joe King, Royal Esquires, Soul Ensemble, Marion Blacks etc were all there!

I did have an acetate of Joe King from somebody on here, he had a blank Royal Esquires and various other very interesting acetates and discs, all from Clem Price the label owner >>Here<< gone now, and of course I wish I hadn't sold it 😞

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!