maslar

Moderating, warnings and down votes in Freebasing

Posted (edited)

I've just seen the comment in Dogsbody's thread by moderator BabyBoyandMylass. In it he points out that the topic starter seems to be receiving a lot of "down votes" and then uses this to issue a rebuke/mild warning.

Since when has the down vote feature been used as a moderating tool/signifier? This is absolutely ridiculous. In each case the number of down votes was four or five. so if anyone gets four down votes they receive a warning from the mods? this needs clarifying.

Edited by maslar

Just now, maslar said:

I've just seen the comment in Dogsbody's thread by moderator BabyBoyandMylass. In it he points out that the topic starter seems to be receiving a lot of "down votes" and then uses this to issue a rebuke/mild warning.

Since when has the down vote feature been used as a moderating tool/signifier? This is absolutely ridiculous. In each case the number of down votes was four or five. so if anyone gets four down votes they receive a warning from the mods? this needs clarifying.

No warnings were issued, I asked him to please ease up on the tone.

Just now, BabyBoyAndMyLass said:

No warnings were issued, I asked him to please ease up on the tone.

You could have done that without making reference to down votes. There was an explicit link there.

Warning or not it gave rise to  a comment from the mod.

To me the down vote feature is meaningless. It's open to abuse and tit-for-tat.  I've never used it nor would I ever do. if a view a posts as poor in some way I'll respond to it making my point or ignore it. what does "down voting achieve? Absolutely nothing.

I can't see why a mod would need to make any reference to it.

23 hours ago, middleman said:

Some people register their disdain by using the down vote.

Some people feel the need to respond by posting a (sometimes self-opinionated) reply.

That’s it.

Neither actually “achieve” anything.

Disdain? All's well at Snowflake Central. And btw, it'd be a little strange of you didn't post a self-opinionated reply wouldn't it? the alternative is to post other people opinions which I'm sure you'd agree is pretty f***** pointless even at Snowflake Central . Although it would probably result in lots  of "up votes" .

23 hours ago, Leicester boy said:

I got the impression the mod was trying to help to be honest. 

Really. was that the impression you got? Thanks for that.

Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, maslar said:

Disdain? All's well at Snowflake Central. And btw, it'd be a little strange of you didn't post a self-opinionated reply wouldn't it? the alternative is to post other people opinions which I'm sure you'd agree is pretty f***** pointless even at Snowflake Central . Although it would probably result in lots  of "up votes" .

Really. was that the impression you got? Thanks for that.

this forum is a support forum

this sort of post and tone is not welcome on here

the terms of use do say

No disruptive, offensive or abusive behaviour: contributions must be constructive and polite, not mean-spirited or contributed with the intention of causing trouble.

topic now closed

Edited by mike
end note

Comment now!

Comments are members only

Join Soul Source - Free & easy!

Sign in

Sign in here.

Sign in now!

Adverts

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.