Jump to content

Simon Soussan Djing @ Wigan Casino


 Share

Recommended Posts

Hi, 

This might be a long shot but does anybody have the recording of Simon Soussan Djing at Wigan Casino? I understand the sounds he played during that spot was not the best but I would still love to hear it. 

Thanks! 

Jordan 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Social source share

I'm sure I've heard a recording of it and pretty sure it was on here....gotta be Pete Smith who posted so have a search. It was a fairly crap set as mentioned but always worth a listen. I'm not on Facebook so def not heard it there.....good luck....Rob

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

I once borrowed some Wigan tapes from Billy Maguire. The sound quality was awful but it sounded like some dodgy instrumentals which could be Soussan.

I'm out with Billy tomorrow and will ask.

Mark C😎

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Never heard of SS DJing at the Casino. Perhaps Richard, Kev or Pat could verify this. Did anyone on here actually attend an Allnighter he DJed at? Even if he was invited to DJ, he would have only played something that became a bootleg later anyway?

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

Remember him DJ'ing but from memory can't remember where could have been Wigan he played a lot of dodgy instrumentals that he recorded. Not the greatest of spots.

Link to comment
Social source share

4 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

I was with him on the night at the Casino in 1974. A great character, incredibly knowledgeable, extremely likable and discoverer of tremendous turntable hits back in the day. 

On that occasion though, he and organiser Russ Winstanley misjudged the audience and the launch of his instrumentals and other creations quite rightly didn’t work.  

 

I'm trying hard to imagine an audience at the Casino when that would have worked.

Link to comment
Social source share

7 hours ago, Paul r said:

I came into Russ's shop on the Saturday afternoon.  You, Russ and Soussan were there, and As was playing some of his synthesizer instrumentals as I walked  in. His version of Thumb a ride was on the turntable. The look on his face was a picture when I said "what the f*ck is this shite". I wasn't  impressed with the sounds or his pink suit!

Pink suit....don’t remember that nor being in RW’s shop. 

Link to comment
Social source share

1 hour ago, Goldsoul said:

Pink suit....don’t remember that nor being in RW’s shop. 

Sorry, is that Kev, for some reason I thought it was Richard!

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

22 hours ago, Goldsoul said:

I was with him on the night at the Casino in 1974. A great character, incredibly knowledgeable, extremely likable and discoverer of tremendous turntable hits back in the day. 

On that occasion though, he and organiser Russ Winstanley misjudged the audience and the launch of his instrumentals and other creations quite rightly didn’t work.  

 

Cheers Kev. Thanks for confirmation. No doubt Simon was a key source of top tunes back in the day. Even today, it is very hard for a DJ to break one new tune given the reluctance of the dancing public to embrace star-quality first time out, so not surprised to learn a mass of instrumentals received a luke-warm response.

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

  • 1 month later...

A sound file of a such a spot does exist, but I can't find my copy of it now. If it was at Wigan or not I couldn't confirm. I seem to remember it was about a dozen tracks, may be 9 of them being instruments - Mirwood stuff?

Link to comment
Social source share

21 minutes ago, simon t said:

A sound file of a such a spot does exist, but I can't find my copy of it now. If it was at Wigan or not I couldn't confirm. I seem to remember it was about a dozen tracks, may be 9 of them being instruments - Mirwood stuff?

One of the Mirwood instrumentals that really did work was " Dont Pretend "  Mirwood Orchestra?   . There is that green label soul fox thing with another instrumental  version called Pretention , but the one played at Wigan was different, more sparse,and altogether better.  I dont think that it was ever available .Theres a Great You tube live Casino clip of  this , very atmospheric and evocative .

Link to comment
Social source share

  • 1 month later...

I was there that night and have a tape that  I recorded on the night only problem is recorded over most of it . I think some of it is still there but not sure where it is I can only recall one northern record he played and that was 24 hours service Charlie Romans and the rest was his versions of things like 6x6. I will sort through my tapes to see how much is still left from the original tape also have one I recorded at Blackpool Mecca 1974.

Link to comment
Social source share

6 hours ago, paul k said:

I was there that night and have a tape that  I recorded on the night only problem is recorded over most of it . I think some of it is still there but not sure where it is I can only recall one northern record he played and that was 24 hours service Charlie Romans and the rest was his versions of things like 6x6. I will sort through my tapes to see how much is still left from the original tape also have one I recorded at Blackpool Mecca 1974.

Paul, I would LOVE to hear it. Please can you let me know. Thanks 

Link to comment
Social source share

On 04/09/2018 at 23:04, carty said:

One of the Mirwood instrumentals that really did work was " Dont Pretend "  Mirwood Orchestra?   . There is that green label soul fox thing with another instrumental  version called Pretention , but the one played at Wigan was different, more sparse,and altogether better.  I dont think that it was ever available .Theres a Great You tube live Casino clip of  this , very atmospheric and evocative .

I always thought I'd heard a different version to that green label Pretention one, so glad somebody else remembers it. You've made my day !

  • Up vote 1
Link to comment
Social source share

15 hours ago, BackstreetNiter said:

Paul, I would LOVE to hear it. Please can you let me know. Thanks 

Will look through my old tape box, hope I have not rubbed off to much of the content. 

Link to comment
Social source share

  • 10 months later...

Jordan,

            To put things in context. 

The appearance was just a moment in time. Youngsters were dancing and buying Footsee, The Javells, Simon’s Papa Oo Mow and similar  

He just pushed the boat a bit further and it quite rightly didn’t sail. Shortly after,  an influx of funkier newish releases were introduced and they too found debate....even then.

Hope you get to hear the recording. Not sure who followed SS.....obviously one of us 3. 

Oddly enough, he had a box of top notch 45’s with him on stage. We had to suffer the Dyamites- Ain’t No Soul Inst first though before we could get to buy them 😂

 

  • Up vote 2
Link to comment
Social source share

  • 2 months later...
On 19/08/2019 at 15:54, paul k said:

Tape player been broken for a while but now fixed so going through them but a slow task.

Will keep you informed.

Have found the tape but as I thought not not much left of the content as I rubbed it off as his spot was that bad. On the same tape I saved some of Kev Roberts spot,on the bit of Simon that I have he talks about how jealous Levine will be when he hears the tracks. hahaha

Link to comment
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log in now!
 Share

  1. Sexton Records - Soul Galore - Simon Soussan
    Look At Your Box by Blackpoolsoul on Thu 07 Oct 2021
    • 20 / 842
    • Rick Scott on 08 Oct 2021
  2. Simon Soussan.....bootlegs....guide
    Look At Your Box by Blackpoolsoul on Mon 17 Sep 2018
    • 6 / 2839
    • Blackpoolsoul on 21 Sep 2018
    • 1 / 1430
    • RUDZY on 06 May 2015
  3. Video: Interview With Simon Soussan And Arpeggio March 17, 1979
    All About The Soul by mike on Thu 21 Aug 2014
    • 1 / 594
    • mike on 21 Aug 2014
  4. Will The Real Simon Soussan Stand Up
    All About The Soul by Drew3 on Fri 28 Mar 2008
    • 418 / 63178
    • Jim Ohara on 13 Apr 2015
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.