Small minded bout big records

stomper45

been mentioned over recent times bout allowed formats and that some wont consider playin lp only tracks, what's wrong with em? apart from the obvious "lend a hand" 3 current plays...

Smoke - I'm so glad - (Risin lp) Superb track for main or modern room.

Hesitations - Thats what love is (soul superman) jm asks is this the best album ever? possibly and this matches Mr Parker's track.

Aretha Franklin - Rock with me (sparkle) she's not called the queen of soul for nothing. SSSSSSOUL

sure you can think of more, or is it just a singles scene!!!!

:thumbsup:

Social source share

• Replies 21
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

been mentioned over recent times bout allowed formats and that some wont consider playin lp only tracks, what's wrong with em? apart from the obvious "lend a hand" 3 current plays...

Hesitations - Thats what love is (soul superman) jm asks is this the best album ever? possibly and this matches Mr Parker's track.

Aretha Franklin - Rock with me (sparkle) she's not called the queen of soul for nothing. SSSSSSOUL

Social source share

Sorry for last post :thumbsup:

I play above tune on a 45 , is it the same tune ( atlantic) ?

lps i do play out

Jackie Wilson - My heart is calling / I don,t want to lose you

skullsnaps

drizabone

Linda Jones - Last minute miricale

Isley bros - my love ....

Temptations - save my love for a rainy Day

Incognito

Marvin Gaye Mpg stuff

can,t see the problem it is the original format ...only prob is the output which can be tweeked

pete m

Social source share

Sorry for last post :wicked:

I play above tune on a 45 , is it the same tune ( atlantic) ?

lps i do play out

Jackie Wilson - My heart is calling / I don,t want to lose you

skullsnaps

drizabone

Linda Jones - Last minute miricale

Isley bros - my love ....

Temptations - save my love for a rainy Day

Incognito

Marvin Gaye Mpg stuff

can,t see the problem it is the original format ...only prob is the output which can be tweeked

pete m

That's a good point that, why is it that Albums always seem to have a lower recording volume than 45's ? Anyone ?

Social source share

That's a good point that, why is it that Albums always seem to have a lower recording volume than 45's ? Anyone ?

Because the groove is tighter. Look at the playing area of a single compared to a track on an LP. When you squash the groove like that you sacrifice volume and bass. There's a brilliant explanation somewhere on the net. I'm on the laptop at the moment but if you're really interested give me a shout and I'll send you the link tomorrow.

godz

Social source share

Because the groove is tighter. Look at the playing area of a single compared to a track on an LP. When you squash the groove like that you sacrifice volume and bass. There's a brilliant explanation somewhere on the net. I'm on the laptop at the moment but if you're really interested give me a shout and I'll send you the link tomorrow.

godz

Cheers Godz, your a hive of information :wicked: Yeh, wouldn't mind reading it if you don't mind, thanks.

Social source share

Because sound from vinyl is analogue it depends on the physical distance the stylus moves in the vinyl, to the volume of sound produced, hence on average, the less distance moved to lower to volume produced. The stylus moves from side to side in the track, bass being produced by a larger movement, treble by less movement but more often (higher frequency).

Records with a predominately large bass element need to have wider tracks to produce the sound and so the 12” was utilised for ‘disco’ sounds and a 10”, at least, acetate needed to cut a decent sounding dub plate. Dig out your 1970’s Buddha 7’s out and you find some 6 minute tracks, but they sound very tiny in comparison to their 12” versions. Try checking a LP of classical music, little bass, and they can go on for about 8 days a side!

Northern-wise the pressings of Gwen Owens ‘Wanted’; the one that jumps are the high volume pressing, as one groove encroaches on the next one, and skips, the ones that plays OK have a much lower volume.

Social source share

Because sound from vinyl is analogue it depends on the physical distance the stylus moves in the vinyl, to the volume of sound produced, hence on average, the less distance moved to lower to volume produced. The stylus moves from side to side in the track, bass being produced by a larger movement, treble by less movement but more often (higher frequency).

Records with a predominately large bass element need to have wider tracks to produce the sound and so the 12" was utilised for 'disco' sounds and a 10", at least, acetate needed to cut a decent sounding dub plate. Dig out your 1970's Buddha 7's out and you find some 6 minute tracks, but they sound very tiny in comparison to their 12" versions. Try checking a LP of classical music, little bass, and they can go on for about 8 days a side!

Northern-wise the pressings of Gwen Owens 'Wanted'; the one that jumps are the high volume pressing, as one groove encroaches on the next one, and skips, the ones that plays OK have a much lower volume.

Thanks for that Simon :wicked: I feel so bloody stupid now ! all these years wondering what was the point of a 12" & never bothering to find out ! :thumbsup:

Social source share

This was released on a Warner Bros 7" (2005/2006?) with Cajun Hart on the other side as a promo for the After Hours Vol 3 CD. So would that 7" be an original release?

Definitely...,had this discussion before and we all came to the conclusion that if a previously unreleased (or album track) tune got a legitamate release on 45 that it is considered an original release. Think 'Kent Anniversary' 45s for starters!

Basically, if you're a UK collector, surely you gotta get all the latest releases...i.e Soul City, Grapevine, Kent. You'll only be kicking yourself in the future if you dont!

Personally, (as a USA 45 collector first) I tend to go for the UK releases that never got a release anywhere else, this week I bought the 'Detroit Magnificents' and 'Al Williams' on Grapevine, both stunning tunes only available on vinyl this way.

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

I HAVE NO PROBLEM IN PLAYING ALBUM ONLY TRACKS

THE HESITATIONS SOUL SUPERMAN AS MENTIONED (SURELY AS STATED BY J.M. THE BEST )

CLYDE MCPHATTER PLEASE GIVE ME ONE MORE CHANCE

THE METROS THEIR VERSION OF I'LL NEVER FORGET YOU (PIED PIPER MAGIC)

RITA GRAHAM CUP RUNNETH OVER

LES MCANN SAD LITTLE GIRL

TO MENTION A FEW OBVIOUSLY YOU MAY NEED TO ADJUST SOUND LEVELS ACCORDINGLY

WOODY

Social source share

thumbsup.gif

Spyder Turner- I can`t wait to see my babys face -MCA unsure.gif

Social source share

thumbsup.gif

Never had a problem with LP's and have never DJ'd without a box full of them.

Clyde McPhatter "Please Give Me One More Chance, Marvelettes "Your Love Can save Me", Monitors "Somebody" etc are all well established Nothern Monsters and have been for decades.

There are literallly thousands of other LP's with other great tracks on.

I've never understood the "45" only attitude that some people have. Certainly 20+ years ago, many of the biggest tunes on the scene were LP only i.e. Bobby Thurston, Melba Moore, Gary Glenn, Zingara etc.

I guess this '45 only' perogative amongst DJ's is just a recent thing.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Social source share

I've never understood the "45" only attitude that some people have. Certainly 20+ years ago, many of the biggest tunes on the scene were LP only i.e. Bobby Thurston, Melba Moore, Gary Glenn, Zingara etc.

thumbsup.gif

Sean

Too right Sean.

Here's another that fits in nicely with the above list.

Give A Smile - Betty Wright -

10475 refosoul

Back to the sound quality topic though.

Given the choice between a 7" or a 12" i'll always go for the 12" if possible as the sound quality's far superior but what's the best, a 12" that plays at 33rpm or a 12" that plays at 45rpm?

Obviously the grooves are closer together on the 45rpm copy but it spins faster so what's the difference from a sound point of view?

Edited by CUNNIE
Social source share

Never had a problem with LP's and have never DJ'd without a box full of them.

Clyde McPhatter "Please Give Me One More Chance, Marvelettes "Your Love Can save Me", Monitors "Somebody" etc are all well established Nothern Monsters and have been for decades.

There are literallly thousands of other LP's with other great tracks on.

Yes I guess thousands but must mention Rhetta Hughes ICry Myself To Sleep (one one jo Armsteads finest efforts) Tetragramation L P

Sean

Social source share

Guest WPaulVanDyk

i like lp only tracks as long as they not over played i am sure 20 songs played and say 5 are lp only tracks seem fine but not all cause you loose out on hearing great singles released

Social source share

Guest mel brat

:)

Skullsnaps - "I'm Your Pimp" (GSF LP)

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!