Bad soul doo's

Paul r, you just reminded me of something similar...

Whilst in Tenerife 2 weeks back there was a bar advertising a 'Soul Singer' on tonight 'Classic Soul' was the sub headline. Me the missus and kids went in there and a black guy around 40 years old came on stage. Good voice, not bad and singing the usual tunes. Then he asked for requests and I was going to say Jackie Wilson 'Sweetest Feeling' but I thought no, that's too easy. "How about something by Chuck Jackson"? I asked, "who?" was his reply so I said "well if you don't know who he is then you're not a real Soul man"....

It was all taken in jest really but surely if you're really into Soul then you'd know who Chuck Jackson is... wouldn't you?🤔

Edited by Soul-Slider
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 30/07/2018 at 17:25, Steve S 60 said:

I travel a lot to events, so it pains me if I have to leave a venue early, normally because of the music policy.  A few years ago I went to a soul night at an absolutely brilliant venue.  Despite the fact that some well respected local DJs were on the bill, the guy running it (which I later discovered) was your typical wedding DJ trying to jump on the bandwagon.  He opened up with his Now That's What I Call Northern mix straight off his laptop, proceeded to prance around behind the decks, having it large and just being a dickhead in general.

Meanwhile, the dance floor filled up with stiletto clad females dancing around handbags, drinks in hand, while some local photographer, complete with shoulder held video camera, wandered around the floor recording the whole thing for posterity.  I had been in the mood for a good night out, and the local pub I had been in earlier served decent beer and actually played better music than what I was about to be subjected to.

I lasted an hour in the venue, and by all accounts, it didn't get any better, the other DJs having to play to the lowest common denominator.

I'm hoping that posting this on here will help in my recovery process.

As a sometime dj this is my greatest hate, i always turn up at the start of the night/ Dayer (never done an all-niter), but always like to know who else is dj-ing either earlier and later to give me an idea of what they will play. And never leave until the end or time for my last bus home (if i get paid it could be a taxi).

Social source share

There have been a few at the fabled 100 Club down the years. Going back to the 90’s, Ady put on a Modern Soul Allniter. Hardly anyone turned up and virtually none of the regulars showed up apart from myself. I left after a couple of hours as the music was so dull and uninspiring. Ady said he felt he had to put the event on as the followers had no other events to go to. Needless to say, the promotion was not repeated.

Some of the 100 Club Christmas Parties were far from soulful. Dancefloor covered with beer. Toilet floor flooded. Venue packed with handbaggers, tourists and groups out on a bender. Very little rare soul played. Sound system struggling above the racket. Lots of well known Motown and commercial soul with a liberal helping of poppy Northern, some leaning towards the festive season. Largely a great piss-up for those off work the next day.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

3 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

There have been a few at the fabled 100 Club down the years. Going back to the 90’s, Ady put on a Modern Soul Allniter. Hardly anyone turned up and virtually none of the regulars showed up apart from myself. I left after a couple of hours as the music was so dull and uninspiring. Ady said he felt he had to put the event on as the followers had no other events to go to. Needless to say, the promotion was not repeated.

Some of the 100 Club Christmas Parties were far from soulful. Dancefloor covered with beer. Toilet floor flooded. Venue packed with handbaggers, tourists and groups out on a bender. Very little rare soul played. Sound system struggling above the racket. Lots of well known Motown and commercial soul with a liberal helping of poppy Northern, some keaning towards the festive season. Largely a great piss-up for those off work the next day.

I visited myself on 3. Occasions to the fabled 100 club and was very disappointed 3 times it was hit and miss, more miss and the punters a good percentage of them were far from being hard core SOULIES , one night I visited there was a little gang shooting water pistols at one another in the cloakroom, these individuals visited some of the promotions up North and frankly were at the bottom of the pile but they wouldn't dare of behaved like that up here, I was surprised at the time with the lack of atmosphere it felt totally mis mash and definitely didn't get you there this was early 1990's  it might just of bad luck on my part I chose those nights but I don't think so, Emperors New Clothes comes to mind

ML

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Hooker1951 said:

I visited myself on 3. Occasions to the fabled 100 club and was very disappointed 3 times it was hit and miss, more miss and the punters a good percentage of them were far from being hard core SOULIES , one night I visited there was a little gang shooting water pistols at one another in the cloakroom, these individuals visited some of the promotions up North and frankly were at the bottom of the pile but they wouldn't dare of behaved like that up here, I was surprised at the time with the lack of atmosphere it felt totally mis mash and definitely didn't get you there this was early 1990's  it might just of bad luck on my part I chose those nights but I don't think so, Emperors New Clothes comes to mind

ML

An interesting take on the legendary venue. As a veteran of over 100 Allniters there, I would have to say the do’s generally bordered on splendiferous and unsurpassable. Cloakroom pranks probably down to Tef or Brummie Mick, perhaps on a quiet night. Attendances recently have dipped with fewer diehards travelling from up North, but full marks for anyone who went the extra 200 miles month after month, decade after decade. Sure, there’s always been a few bewildered new faces it being the capital city and Time Out steering some unsuspecting tourists down the stairs. The Anniversary Allniters bear comparison with the best do’s ever held on planet earth, but some Saturdays struggle as the once-a-year merchants can’t be bothered to support a regular event.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Some of the 100 Club Christmas Parties were far from soulful. Dancefloor covered with beer. Toilet floor flooded. Venue packed with handbaggers, tourists and groups out on a bender. Very little rare soul played. Sound system struggling above the racket. Lots of well known Motown and commercial soul with a liberal helping of poppy Northern, some leaning towards the festive season. Largely a great piss-up for those off work the next day.

Great weren't they? :D

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 minutes ago, LEN said:

Great piss-ups Len. You were OK though as you were wearing wellies. Bar was always six deep and the second bar was only opened once if I recall. Roger and Mick when DJing always struggled to put on a record more common than the previous one. It was always a relief to get back to street level and be barged by fewer drunks.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 09:13, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

I attended the Modern Soul Allniter at the 100 Club - it was March 1993. I remember enjoying myself and I don't recall attendance being that sparse. I also remember there being other events playing modern soul at that time. Could it be that I like modern soul and the original poster doesn't?!!

Social source share

On ‎01‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 10:23, LEN said:

Yes, it's a piss up. Rare soul can take a back seat now and again. Last time I went, there was beer on the floor, and a few tourists. Did it bother me? Not really. A quiet word in one of em's shell like did the trick.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!