Ebay Seller. Shady Practices.

Ik001

Hi All

Just wondered if any other member have had an episode similar to the one I have just encountered.

Thought I'd won a record, beat up but fairly cheap.

Paid for the record and actually messaged the seller to change postal address details.

The seller then messages me to tell me he has lost the record and has refunded my money.

Now being the cynical person I am I feel that he has realized it has sold too cheap and therefore done the Dirty.

Also I cannot even give the person negative feedback on ebay as technically he hasn't sold me the record.

I do not want to name and shame on here but if anyone wants his name they can contact me privately.

Ian

Edited by ik001
Social source share

Very annoying that , hard to prove he's not telling the truth (but your gut  feeling says otherwise ,right ?)I had a similar situation a few years back and it happened a second time with the same seller a few months later , forget the exact message but the second one was exactly the same as the first ,leading me to believe this was a regular move on the part of the seller . I messaged him and said I had had the same message a few weeks earlier and he immediately blocked me . .....But what can you do except maybe don't feel that you own the record until it is physically in your possession .

Social source share

34 minutes ago, carty said:

Very annoying that , hard to prove he's not telling the truth (but your gut  feeling says otherwise ,right ?)I had a similar situation a few years back and it happened a second time with the same seller a few months later , forget the exact message but the second one was exactly the same as the first ,leading me to believe this was a regular move on the part of the seller . I messaged him and said I had had the same message a few weeks earlier and he immediately blocked me . .....But what can you do except maybe don't feel that you own the record until it is physically in your possession .

He isn't telling the truth I feel. I've checked him out and he buys a lot but not sold much, so perhaps he is and has done the same to others. I have put in a complaint to ebay, what good that will do we shall see. A lesson to be learned I suppose, don't trust a Frenchman, no offence intended to any honest French members on this forum.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

25 minutes ago, ik001 said:

He isn't telling the truth I feel. I've checked him out and he buys a lot but not sold much, so perhaps he is and has done the same to others. I have put in a complaint to ebay, what good that will do we shall see. A lesson to be learned I suppose, don't trust a Frenchman, no offence intended to any honest French members on this forum.

Such a thing happened to me with an american seller some years ago. But here in France we are wary of English sellers, mostly because of their grading and the condition of their records.

Edited by Philippe
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

18 minutes ago, Philippe said:

Such a thing happened to me with an american seller some years ago. But here in France we are wary of English sellers, mostly because of the condition of their records.

Not to offend Phillipe but you are leading my post astray? There are dishonest sellers from all nationalities but in this case I have been conned by a Frenchman.

Edited by ik001
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Philippe said:

Such a thing happened to me with an american seller some years ago. But here in France we are wary of English sellers, mostly because of their grading and the condition of their records.

And in England we are wary of French buyers as many seem to be thieving bastards. 

Social source share

It can't have gone far - he would have had the record a week earlier to scan and post up the listing on Ebay so I guess you are right to question it

I can understand if someone is selling the same records on various sales forums - I've had to cancel a couple of Discogs orders in the past where the record has sold elsewhere such as on here or my website and I've forgotten to delete the Discogs listing. I've also had records get a duplicate listing on Discogs where the page has frozen when I've clicked to list the item, so I've clicked it again and unknown to me it's got listed twice. Someone buys one which is fine but when someone else buys the other listed copy it doesn't exist so I have to cancel the order. Most people are fine over issues like this, some are not and it's like the worst thing that has ever happened to them.

Social source share

13 minutes ago, kjw said:

It can't have gone far - he would have had the record a week earlier to scan and post up the listing on Ebay so I guess you are right to question it

I can understand if someone is selling the same records on various sales forums - I've had to cancel a couple of Discogs orders in the past where the record has sold elsewhere such as on here or my website and I've forgotten to delete the Discogs listing. I've also had records get a duplicate listing on Discogs where the page has frozen when I've clicked to list the item, so I've clicked it again and unknown to me it's got listed twice. Someone buys one which is fine but when someone else buys the other listed copy it doesn't exist so I have to cancel the order. Most people are fine over issues like this, some are not and it's like the worst thing that has ever happened to them.

Well I can rise above it, just my moan for today but if you could find me a copy of Sam Fletcher on Original Tollie (condition not so important) for £70 all-in then it might cheer me up.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I had an almost identical situation with a seller on eBay just recently. Bought a 45 at what I thought was an acceptable price and paid for registered/tracked shipping. No sign of the 45 a few weeks later. The seller offers excuses, then says they're on holiday, then stops replying to my messages. I make a claim through eBay and get a full refund in the space of about two hours.

There was another copy of the 45 on eBay at the same time, courtesy of a different seller, and with a price five times higher than the price I paid. I believe, but can't prove, that the seller I bought from spotted the higher-priced 45 and so chose not to send it to me.

The seller is based in England. As has already been said, bad sellers are everywhere. 

Social source share

10 hours ago, ik001 said:

Not to offend Phillipe but you are leading my post astray? There are dishonest sellers from all nationalities but in this case I have been conned by a Frenchman.

You're right Ik, there are bad sellers everywhere, and I apologize for my off-topic sentence, it escaped from me due to morning haze.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I "bought" a record from a reputable seller, only for him to tell me over a week later that he couldn't find the record (even though he still had it up for sale on his webpage). I picked up a copy on ebay in the same condition and saved myself a tenner, point being it's not only ebay sellers that can lose records (i do the same with my own wee collection) but as long as you are fully refunded (eventually) you just put it down to a bad experience. 

Social source share

On ‎07‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 06:20, ik001 said:

Paid for the record and actually messaged the seller to change postal address details.

The seller then messages me to tell me he has lost the record and has refunded my money.

Ian

I think he possibly believes you have hijacked someones ebay account. I would be very suspicious of someone wanting stuff sent to a different address.

Social source share

18 minutes ago, grouse said:

I think he possibly believes you have hijacked someones ebay account. I would be very suspicious of someone wanting stuff sent to a different address.

No he informed me he had lost it? If you believe that???

Social source share

And there's the old "sorry, I snapped it while packing" chestnut. I usually say "oh, I'd still like it - it was just to put in a frame" to which the reply is always "sorry, my bins got emptied this morning..." My bins get emptied about once a month!

Social source share

9 minutes ago, cover-up said:

And there's the old "sorry, I snapped it while packing" chestnut. I usually say "oh, I'd still like it - it was just to put in a frame" to which the reply is always "sorry, my bins got emptied this morning..." My bins get emptied about once a month!

If I'm not mistaken, the 45 purchased by the OP was cracked already. So it snapping might well be plausible. 

Social source share

17 minutes ago, cover-up said:

And he’s still listing records on ebay. Could be losing a few more if he doesn’t reach his expected sales cost. 

Mind you that sack of shite (eBay) don’t want to know of my complaint.

I’ve also had to contact PayPal to get my pending returns money.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!