Detroit Sounds of Friction

Has this elusive track on the Heavy Sounds Inc label been played out much? There are 12 sales listed on Popsike, 8 white DJ copies and 4 green issues. Clearly it is a rare and expensive track, but has anyone witnessed it spun in public? If it has had a public airing, I would be interested to know who the DJ was. Any and all comments on the topic would be much appreciated.

Social source share

19 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

It is dance floor death i tried it a few times to no floor and later the Willinghams to virtually no response at nighters as well  

Apart from me and a few others Ted.! Bugger to dance to for some, great soul record though.

Had quite a few spins 10 years back or so. Burnley nighter Ted.?

Edited by KevH
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

21 hours ago, Spain pete said:

Lead singer sounds familiar can't put my finger on it any clues?🎶

Very much a Jerry Butler soundalike, i often wonder how much the artist name has contributed to the kudos of this 45 ? for example "Albuquerque Sounds Of Friction"  ?

Dave

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Well, the vocal sounds as good as as any top performer like Jerry or Garland or Gene or Jack...a rich voice that delivers.

The intro is unique and unmistakable, boding promisingly for a well crafted crossover tune that is sure to have some twists and turns as it unravels. It certainly gives the dancers time to pick their spot on the floor.

I would agree with the comment about tricky to dance to - the record requires nimble footwork and definite change of pace, so not a track for those who only ever dance the same way all the time. This is a track that requires more thought than usual but maybe that’s not a bad thing. Definitely not one for the spinners and acrobats but a nice mellow medium-pace sound that lilts along soulfully.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Louise said:

Exactly if your a later day scholar of the current N/S Dance Schools your up shit creek without a paddle ! back in the day dancers could read the tempo of a tune and ajust their own unique styles accordingly, did everyone sit around eating pork pies at The Mecca ?

Yep Louise. Spot on. You got to shake your shoulders to this one.  Maybe shimmy a bit. Adapt to the music and let it take you back to the Ritz or Mecca.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Louise said:

Exactly if your a later day scholar of the current N/S Dance Schools your up shit creek without a paddle ! back in the day dancers could read the tempo of a tune and ajust their own unique styles accordingly, did everyone sit around eating pork pies at The Mecca ?

With all that shredded wheat sloshing about, no wonder they find it hard to dance to. No pork pies for me just chicken in a basket.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, Mal C said:

cool track, kinda jazz influenced I think, those changes and violins are great...

did they do anything else?

The word on the block is this is their only record. That said, the group sound so slick and professional, they surely had some local impact that could reveal other material but don’t hold your breath.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, steviehay said:

guy up here called nick mckinnon has one think he paid about 2 for it does nothing for me at all im afraid and i don't think ive seen a full floor to it either each to their own i suppose  

Thanks for posting. Is that $2 or 2K? 🤑 Numbers certainly few and far between. Odd though that there was a green issue but so few have turned up? I do not think I’ve heard it played out at the venues I attend in London so can not comment on dancefloor reaction.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I love it and will always get on the dance floor to it.

Pestered the Willinghams quite a few times @ Prestatyn top-room rare soul and Blackpool Soul Fest Niter.

We had Greety @ our little Banbury Soul Club do's a few years ago and I couldn't wait to ask him to play it - no empty dance floor here.

Really pleased Ted has told me he has one also - I can pester him now to play it !  

(although he may have moved it on with no dance floor action ?   LOL)

Cheers...................   Tom.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

Great record and even better that you don't hear it out that often - it's sad that some disregard records because the don't fill floors immediately, this to me is one of the reasons why the "scene" isn't moving forward as a whole in the UK

Fair point - like a fine wine, perhaps enjoyed in select company. Not sure you can judge the scene from analysing dancefloor reaction anyway - never before has the rare-soul scene been so multi-dimensional and catered to all sorts of people. There are similar records making gains on the scene such as Sag Warfare and United Sounds but copies are so scarce that many wil have not experienced them in public.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, FRANKIE CROCKER said:

Fair point - like a fine wine, perhaps enjoyed in select company. Not sure you can judge the scene from analysing dancefloor reaction anyway - never before has the rare-soul scene been so multi-dimensional and catered to all sorts of people. There are similar records making gains on the scene such as Sag Warfare and United Sounds but copies are so scarce that many wil have not experienced them in public.

Totally agree, that’s why I travel most weekends to hear records like those - well worth the miles, time and energy 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

43 minutes ago, Ahoy Sailor said:

Totally agree, that’s why I travel most weekends to hear records like those - well worth the miles, time and energy 

And when you know who has the records, you’ll travel to where they are DJing. That’s why I’m a fan of playlists published after a DJ has played a set - take Dave Rimmer for example, as he regularly posts lists that would encourage you to go out of your way to hear.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 18/08/2018 at 10:09, Arthur Fenn said:

Funny this as until possibly 20 yrs ago i don't know of anyone who had the promo. Circa 78 it was Poke's "Mel Brit" cover up. 18 months later issue's turned up at the Bowl @ £20 or so apiece. I bought 2 . I found 1 spare for $2 at John Hilliyard's house in 85 & sold it to Graham Ellis. Not everyone's cup a T for sure but i love it 8-). 

Thanks for this Arthur. I can imagine Kev will request it again unless you play it first. Sorry I can’t be there to shuffle along but am currently down a Soul Mine somewhere between Chicago and Detroit.

Edited by FRANKIE CROCKER
typo
Social source share

On 13 August 2018 at 19:02, steviehay said:

guy up here called nick mckinnon has one think he paid about 2 for it does nothing for me at all im afraid and i don't think ive seen a full floor to it either each to their own i suppose  

I'm sure Nicks still got it Steve, he played it at Movin on a groove a couple of times, not sure if he's played it at Altrincham, must get him to play it in October, great record!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!