Label background overprinted and used by multiple labels

Paul Capon

All,

Over the years I’ve seen dozens of 45s with the same distinctive symmetric pastel coloured background. Does anyone know the reason for this? Same pressing plant maybe?

AND 

Lets see how many of them are out there - post your pictures. 

Here are three of the top of my head:-

C3D73A71-35E7-4025-A325-60DAAB2745EC.jpeg

40BAE07E-28D8-4AD7-9194-A6EB622296F8.jpeg

61A03DE8-369D-4F65-853E-E8EF26BF4EA9.jpeg

Edited by Paul Capon
Social source share

Paul

They were all pressed at the same pressing plant from what I was told I think in the Pittsburgh area? (I might be wrong on the location but I have a memory of someone telling me years ago)  it may have been John Anderson or  possibly Dave Welding, when I started to amass the same label background with the different over print. 

Think I accumulated around 15 at the time with music from gospel to hard driving dancers. I had them on an old database long since defunct and lost so can't remember half of them but have still a few mainly the sweet soul and 70s dancers being the main. Turner Bros Lets go fishing springs to mind and I think that or the Bob & Gene started it all of.

i will try and dig some out and list them if I get the time.

Dave

Social source share

11 hours ago, Paul Capon said:

All,

Over the years I’ve seen dozens of 45s with the same distinctive symmetric pastel coloured background. Does anyone know the reason for this? Same pressing plant maybe?

Back then many pressing plants offered generic label designs to their customers. The customers had to supply only the respective details and choose a font.

So I'd say that quite good looking background was chosen by a few different customers of the very same pressing plant.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Back in 82/83, I used to do some work for Move Records out of Edinburger ...

They were always being sent indie soul 45's by US outfits wanting a UK licensing deal.

Can't remember the other label involved, but there was a popular US 45 about at the time with a label featuring a sunset type scene.

Imagine my surprise when Alan sent me copies of 2 new US 45's on the Balt based BEVNIK label.

They used the exact same label scene on their singles ...

Bevnik45s.jpg

Edited by Roburt
Social source share

Yes, Jay Player was the big title at the time. however Benvik did not use that design Excusively, I have a 45 by First Class on that logo titled  ' Love is real', however that's just a plain yellow. There are also other labels that used exactly the same design like Macdad records in New Jersey, so perhaps there is a connection there with the First Class group?.

Edited by still diggin
Social source share

I’ve created a new Discogs list and added all of the above. It’s open for anyone to add to. 

16 entries so far. 

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Stock-Image-Label-Same-symmetric-pastel-coloured-background/433809

Over the years I’ve seen dozens of 45s with the same distinctive symmetric pastel coloured background. These 45s are pressed by QCA (Queen City Album) in Cincinnati Ohio.
This list is to catalog these records. 

Edited by Paul Capon
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

QCA has listings on discogs for most parts of the company. Not many of these backgrounds spotted while browsing the 45s by them though. Could be albums if you have the time to look through the images.

https://www.discogs.com/label/320186-QCA-Custom-Pressing

There'll probably be more if people start adding runouts to their records 😎

Edited by LarsC
Social source share

14 minutes ago, LarsC said:

QCA has listings on discogs for most parts of the company. Not many of these backgrounds spotted while browsing the 45s by them though. Could be albums if you have the time to look through the images.

Funnily enough I’ve recently looked thro the QCA related stuff on Discogs. I found just one 45 

Teri  Butler ( see below). Couldn’t  be bothered to check the LPs tho’

5C68C136-D84F-47C6-80BC-89B52DBDF408.jpeg

Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 30/09/2018 at 09:38, LarsC said:

Funnily enough I’ve recently looked thro the QCA related stuff on Discogs. I found just one 45 

Teri  Butler ( see below). Couldn’t  be bothered to check the LPs tho’

25 entries on the Discogs list do far. Any more?

https://www.discogs.com/lists/Stock-Image-Label-Same-symmetric-pastel-coloured-background/433809

Social source share

10 hours ago, Paul Capon said:

Strange - label says it’s out of South Carolina rather then Ohio. Added to the list anyway. 

The label is from South Carolina, the pressing plant was in Ohio.

Labels from all over the US pressed records at QCA and used their custom designs.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!