• Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Is the issue of --

OLIVER BUSH - I'LL MAKE IT UP TO YOU

worth more than the demo

Thank you

I would say the issue is pretty rare. Most of the demo's are white double siders without b-side. I've got a black demo with b-side. However, if I remember the b-side is pony so its all a bit of a worthless excercise, unless you think a black gamble lable looks better. I hope that makes sense

In short, the issue should be worth more. The point I would make is that the main problem is finding one that plays well throughout. Sound quality aint that good on the ones I've had.

Regards Alan

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Is the issue of --

OLIVER BUSH - I'LL MAKE IT UP TO YOU

worth more than the demo

Thank you

I would say the issue is pretty rare. Most of the demo's are white double siders without b-side. I've got a black demo with b-side. However, if I remember the b-side is pony so its all a bit of a worthless excercise, unless you think a black gamble lable looks better. I hope that makes sense

In short, the issue should be worth more. The point I would make is that the main problem is finding one that plays well throughout. Sound quality aint that good on the ones I've had.

Regards Alan

You won't ever find one that 'plays well throughout'. Something went wrong in the mastering stage with the result that all pressings have that slightly under-recorded, muffled sound, regardless of the condition of the record. There are no copies that don't sound like Oliver's singing through a sock throughout.

Shame 'cos IMO it's one of the greatest records of its time.

TONE :thumbsup:

Social source share

You won't ever find one that 'plays well throughout'. Something went wrong in the mastering stage with the result that all pressings have that slightly under-recorded, muffled sound, regardless of the condition of the record. There are no copies that don't sound like Oliver's singing through a sock throughout.

Shame 'cos IMO it's one of the greatest records of its time.

Dead Right... again Tone!

I was asking on here recently if the issue was mastered or pressed better than the WD's, but it seems not.

Scorching tune though, just the 'muffling' always makes it a bit of a risk to play out.

Shame.

Great record.

Sean

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Worth mentioning again here that Oliver Bush actually toured the UK in 1969 as the fake "William Bell". He apologised in Blues & Soul for the deception, as he thought he was coming over here to promote "I'll Make It Up To You" until tour promoter Roy Tempest told him otherwise, when he got off the plane...

Social source share

Thank you both, that is very helpfull .

Bit of a beer doctor I'm affraid Shortersoul will be on the trail tonight

I also have a fond liking of ale .. was sposed to have been attending the pigs ear beer fest in London tonight but the missus stopped that :thumbsup:

anyway having a few sherbets and a pizza in doors to make up for it tonight :ohmy:

Social source share

didn't know the Oliver Bush.. just had a listen on JM's site, whatta great tune, but, a shame the recording is so bad..

I played the Oliver Bush on Richard Sealing's Jazz FM show when he invited These Old Shoes up to guest on it (well I gave it to him to play anyway). It was a demo and he took some pleasure in telling me that the issues were better sound quality than the demos, not heard an issue so couldn't confirm but if RS says so then it must be true. Very nice man actually (IMO). I believe that issues are rarer than the demos too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul

Social source share

I played the Oliver Bush on Richard Sealing's Jazz FM show when he invited These Old Shoes up to guest on it (well I gave it to him to play anyway). It was a demo and he took some pleasure in telling me that the issues were better sound quality than the demos, not heard an issue so couldn't confirm but if RS says so then it must be true. Very nice man actually (IMO). I believe that issues are rarer than the demos too.

Hope that helps.

Cheers

Paul

Thanks for that Paul, I hope it's true.

Had a couple of WD's but never had an issue.

Alan(Darks) post above though implies that sound quality aint that great on the issue either.

And he's also a very nice man!

Alan.... if you're out there... please confirm!

Thanks again Paul.

:wicked:

Sean

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

Fairmount

1009 - Eddie Jones - Let's Stop Fooling Ourselves / Give Me Good Lovin'

You may be interested to know that this Fairmount 45 was also released on US Columbia and credited to Bobby Harris - strange, but true !

Love the Oliver Bush 45 - I cleaned this sucker about 20 times when I got it thinking the poor sound quality was down to storage dirt on what was otherwise an ex grade - had even toyed with upgrading it - glad I didnt !!!!

Take care

John :wicked:

Social source share

Thanks for that Paul, I hope it's true.

Had a couple of WD's but never had an issue.

Alan(Darks) post above though implies that sound quality aint that great on the issue either.

And he's also a very nice man!

Alan.... if you're out there... please confirm!

Thanks again Paul.

:wicked:

Sean

Hi Sean, sorry for the delay. I've been out for once. Having beers with Little Stevie and Lydia. Also a very nice man. Bumped into them celebrating Richard birthday. He also posts on here and is a very very nice man.

This could get confusing.

I to have a white demo I got off a mate. The usual poor sound quality as described. Although I think this copy had a hard life as well.

I was pretty upset, given that this is an awesome tune. My mate actually gave me another record to compensate. Which I now feel a little bit guilty but re-iterate that the WD was border line unplayable.

Another friend then turns up with a black copy but also a demo with the b-side. Given that this is one of the great ones, I decided to take a chance. It certainly plays better than the WD but does not have the right sound quality you would expect, so I was a tad dissapointed.

The question now is whether the black demo is for all intents and purposes the same as the black issue, I suspect that it is. In which case all copies are floored. That said, my black demo is playable but reiterate that its not quite there.

I guess this only supports Shortersoul's astute idea to listen to them on JM website. Although JM could have merely used the same recording twice, I dunno.

I am concerned that I have become a nerd.

Regards Alan

Social source share

I am concerned that I have become a nerd.

Regards Alan

Join the club Alan :wicked:

But don't be too concerned. We wouldn't be talking about it if it wasn't such a great record would we?

I love the record, but am also dissapointed that the sound quality aint there on the WD's I've had.

I guess you could check the run out groove/matrix on your Black one and compare it to those on the WD. That should ascertain if its off the same pressing / master.

But, hey, nothing to lose sleep over mate.

Hope you're well and that Married life is all good and wonderful!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Join the club Alan rolleyes.gif

But don't be too concerned. We wouldn't be talking about it if it wasn't such a great record would we?

I love the record, but am also dissapointed that the sound quality aint there on the WD's I've had.

I guess you could check the run out groove/matrix on your Black one and compare it to those on the WD. That should ascertain if its off the same pressing / master.

But, hey, nothing to lose sleep over mate.

Hope you're well and that Married life is all good and wonderful!

thumbsup.gif

Sean

The thought has crossed my mind. It normally takes a few weeks to find anything in the pile of records taking up the main bedroom. Will let you know.

Well, married life is the same as before but with a Dualit toaster!

Regards Alan

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!