Remembering Tony Sylvester (Main Ingredient)

Sadly we lost another one of the great Soul Soldiers when Tony Sylvester, founding member of The Main Ingredient, passed away recently. A longtime family friend and inspiration to me all these many years I wish that I had had the opportunity to have spent more time comparing life notes with him.

My father had been very influential to Tony and The Poets, as they were know before the transformation into The Main Ingredient, musically, spiritually and most importantly as an "Ambassador Of Good Times". His "Una Bella Brazilian Melodia" appeared on thier first LP L.T.D.

As one of the first Black performers-producers-writers Jimmy always tried to promote the sounds that were resonating in the black community into that world. When the opportunity came about he brought in the best talent around to contribute to whatever project he was working on. In 1971 he got the job of producing a series of advert Jingles for Wash & Care facial cleansing cream and decided besides his own vocal versions to produce Jingles with Carolyn Franklin and The Main Ingredient.

What I Have Posted Here Is The Ingredient's 1:00 Spot from that campaign.

Hope You Enjoy Because It Brings Back Many Brilliant Memories!

Cheers!

Chris

Edited by Mangomn2003
Social source share

• Replies 4
  • Views 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Lady Maverick

Sadly we lost another one of the great Soul Soldiers when Tony Sylvester, founding member of The Main Ingredient, passed away recently. A longtime family friend and inspiration to me all these many years I wish that I had had the opportunity to have spent more time comparing life notes with him.

My father had been very influential to Tony and The Poets, as they were know before the transformation into The Main Ingredient, musically, spiritually and most importantly as an "Ambassador Of Good Times". His "Una Bella Brazilian Melodia" appeared on thier first LP L.T.D.

As one of the first Black performers-producers-writers Jimmy always tried to promote the sounds that were resonating in the black community into that world. When the opportunity came about he brought in the best talent around to contribute to whatever project he was working on. In 1971 he got the job of producing a series of advert Jingles for Wash & Care facial cleansing cream and decided besides his own vocal versions to produce Jingles with Carolyn Franklin and The Main Ingredient.

What I Have Posted Here Is The Ingredient's 1:00 Spot from that campaign.

Hope You Enjoy Because It Brings Back Many Brilliant Memories!

Cheers!

Chris

Thanks for that clip! He will be missed. sad.gif

BTW, I like your avatar...I love looking at Clyde McPhatter's picture sleeves! thumbsup.gif

Social source share

I realized that I did quite finish my sentence when referring to Jimmy being one of the first black writer-producer-performers in the Jingle industry and wanting to work with best talent around.

I guess something of fun might be to include my father 'Pipes & Thunder' version of the spot but as a soul ballad.

I'll post Carolyn Franklin's version Too.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!