• Views 4.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

Guest Johnny Mack

Billy Harner - What about the music (instrumental) - Kama Sutra

This has got to be up there with a shout, albeit I could think of a lot of others I'd rather spend MY money on !

Take care

John :wicked:

Whats the most expensive British NS record ever sold?

What do you think might be the most expensive British NS record if it were ever sold at todays prices?

Social source share

Holidays - Making Up Time - Polydor DEMO

Inspirations - Touch Me Hold Me Kiss Me - Polydor DEMO

Ray Hamilton - Panic Is On - MGM DEMO

Fathers Angels - Bok to Bach - MGM ISSUE

Only ever seen the last two of the above. Polydor Demos....sheesh! Used to be the bane of life life! :wicked:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

www.hitsvillesoulclub.com

timi yuro has made a grand,goes for less now Edited by wolvessoulboy
Social source share

I don't think there are UK Polydor demos of The Holidays and The Inspirations are there?. Have got Edwin Starr and Jamo Thomas on demo,did have Tony Middleton demo but hate the record so got rid of it, but have only got issues of The Inspirations and Holidays and always thought no demos done..

In the seventies I sold Nev Wherry a Darrell Banks London demo where the title and artist credits were typed not printed...that's got to be rare and worth a few bob in today's climate.

Also is there a demo of "Bet You Win" - Tyrone Davis on Stateside? I am desperate for a copy if anyone has it for sale. Been told it does exist and copies sell for as little as £40 but I've never seen it.

Neil

Social source share

Only ever seen the last two of the above. Polydor Demos....sheesh! Used to be the bane of life life! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Theres no demo of The Inspirations or The Holidays Dave.

(Oops apologies to neil for not reading his post first)

The Stateside demo shouldn't be too hard neil, honest...

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

Only ever seen the last two of the above. Polydor Demos....sheesh! Used to be the bane of life life! :rolleyes:

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Hello Dave ,I used to have an Inspirations with " advance copy not for sale " - hand written around the centre of the label , never seen a proper demo tho ' . Best Wishes ,Eddie

Social source share

hi neil , yes ,bet you win , by tyron davis ,does exist, on state side demo .i have got one ,got it from record collecter, about 3 years ago , payed £2 =50,MINT DEMO ,seen a few ,for sale,it is not rare BUT A GREAT RECORD THAT SHOULD BE PLAYED HOPE THIS HELPS MR J.P.

Social source share

I don't think there are UK Polydor demos of The Holidays and The Inspirations are there?. Have got Edwin Starr and Jamo Thomas on demo,did have Tony Middleton demo but hate the record so got rid of it, but have only got issues of The Inspirations and Holidays and always thought no demos done..

In the seventies I sold Nev Wherry a Darrell Banks London demo where the title and artist credits were typed not printed...that's got to be rare and worth a few bob in today's climate.

Also is there a demo of "Bet You Win" - Tyrone Davis on Stateside? I am desperate for a copy if anyone has it for sale. Been told it does exist and copies sell for as little as £40 but I've never seen it.

Neil

Hi Neil,

Yep I reckon your right. I've never seen either although I've "heard" of them. Anyone seen a Bobby Paris Demo?

Also, Fathers Angels Issue - How hard? (I got your Demo at Blackburn about 8 years ago, you still have the issue? I've only ever seen a couple.)

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Social source share

Hi Neil,

Yep I reckon your right. I've never seen either although I've "heard" of them. Anyone seen a Bobby Paris Demo?

Also, Fathers Angels Issue - How hard? (I got your Demo at Blackburn about 8 years ago, you still have the issue? I've only ever seen a couple.)

Regards,

Dave

www.theresthatbeat.com

Bobby Paris is way too late for there to be a demo. I think the last were mid 1966, Paris is from 68. When Philips/Fontana/Mercury took over Polydor they stopped doing proper demos, as they did with their own labels. I don't think there were any Philips/Fontana/Mercury demos from about 1963 to 1969, only sticker or stamped ones.

Social source share

Dave,

Yes,I've still got "Bok To Bach" UK MGM issue and a demo of Roy Hamilton.

There's a lovely looking German demo WDJ of Bobby Paris - would have been great

on British demo wouldn't it? I was thinking the other day as UK Polydor issued "Spreadin Honey" why the f...k didn't they also put out The Fury's and The Fidels on UK Polydor.Imagine UK Polydor demos of them?!

Neil

Social source share

Were´nt the Bobby Paris demos just with the sticker. Fathers Angels issue Froggy Taylor 3 copies from Picton Street Bristol Torch times,

memorabillia (mine Bok to Bach) i bought THE issue from Alan Day 8 pounds just before it got booted bought the demo many years later off Gary Rushbooke for 25 pounds!

Rareity wise how about Hoagy Lands issues?

Steve

Ps still think British A demos look the best on the turntables.

I've only ever had one Hoagy Lands issue. Don't think I've ever seen another. I've had two Dennis D'Ell issues, those are very very rare. One of the toughest I had was an issue of John Drevars Expression on MGM. I've had Bobby Paris from germany, Australia and even a Mexican EP with different artists. But I still reckon the What About The Music inst is rarest UK, followed by Ben E King - Can't Break The News To Myself mispressed Atlantic demo.

Social source share

I would have thought one of the top UK rarities would be:-

Al Kent - You got to pay the price - Uk Mojo Demo or issue.

or maybe The Volumes - I just can't help myself - Uk Pama (not sure this exists though).

Another strange one is Marv Johnson - "Why do you want to let me go" - Tamla Motown TMG 525 on Red & White DJ copy, probably doesn't exist.

I also agree with Pete, the Billy Harner instrumental "What about the music" on Kama Sutra is a tough one.

Regards

Alan

Social source share

First Choice - This is the house (Pye Demo) is another tough one. I have never seen one, but earlier discussion on SS says it exists. thumbsup.gif

I wonder if there are any demos out there of Darryl Stewart - Name It And Claim It on Pye. I bought a Pye acetate of this a couple of years back, it was scheduled for realease but was shelved. John Manship sold it on his auction for me :rolleyes:

Edited by richard
Social source share

I wonder if there are any demos out there of Darryl Stewart - Name It And Claim It on Pye. I bought a Pye acetate of this a couple of years back, it was scheduled for realease but was shelved. John Manship sold it on his auction for me yes.gif

That's totally new to me.

Incredible!

If you'd said Jack Montgomery I wouldn't have been more surprised.

I never saw that come up for sale.

How much did it make, out of interest?

Sean

Social source share

Guest mel brat

First Choice - This is the house (Pye Demo) is another tough one. I have never seen one, but earlier discussion on SS says it exists. thumbsup.gif

Mick Smith recently bought one unreleased First Choice on Pye. He told me this back in January.

Social source share

First Choice - This is the house (Pye Demo) is another tough one. I have never seen one, but earlier discussion on SS says it exists. :thumbsup:

This doesn't exist on anything other than an acetate. I've seen Mick Smith's copy and it's just a projected Pye release which made it to the acetate stage. He also had a Curtis Blandon - In the long run (might have been Darryl Stewart) and I think there was one other. He's also got an unissued version of The Drifter on a proper Emidisc with no artist credits at all, shame he won't send sound clips up.

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

I've got a UK item on Auction at the moment https://www.raresoulman.co.uk/auction/all-auction

that I've never ever seen before, I've asked around a few seasoned collectors, dealers etc and no one else seems to own or have ever had a copy.

Al TNT Braggs Vocalion 4 track EP.

I know someone will own a copy, but this is DOG-RARE. I've had two copies of "What About The music" instru. over the years..but this I've never seen before.

Inc: Two great Northern Soul dancers too

Social source share

This doesn't exist on anything other than an acetate. I've seen Mick Smith's copy and it's just a projected Pye release which made it to the acetate stage. He also had a Curtis Blandon - In the long run (might have been Darryl Stewart) and I think there was one other. He's also got an unissued version of The Drifter on a proper Emidisc with no artist credits at all, shame he won't send sound clips up.

that drifter sounds simliar to one mucker Andy has , he picked up on a emi from a london record fair, but his had artist as stuart smith on it, borrowed it and played it out a few years ago , sounded great

def not one of the other versions

when long john baldry was asked about his version he said he first heard it by a unknown artist on acetate so maybe was an audtion type thing

do have a sound clip ...somewhere

Social source share

that drifter sounds simliar to one mucker Andy has , he picked up on a emi from a london record fair, but his had artist as stuart smith on it, borrowed it and played it out a few years ago , sounded great

def not one of the other versions

when long john baldry was asked about his version he said he first heard it by a unknown artist on acetate so maybe was an audtion type thing

do have a sound clip ...somewhere

Could well be Mike, also Stuart Smith had a dancer on Polydor but can't remember title

Social source share

That's totally new to me.

Incredible!

If you'd said Jack Montgomery I wouldn't have been more surprised.

I never saw that come up for sale.

How much did it make, out of interest?

Sean

Sean, it was something like £500. Cant remember exactly how much, maybe John may have a record somewhere of what it went for.

Edited by richard
Social source share

Any body,seen a copy of Sam Nesbit, Black Mother Goose,on the British (444) lable ive heard there is at least one copy out there.

Regards,Kev. wicked.gif

Now that is the rarest British vinyl, one known vinyl test pressing and we don't know who has it now, some lad in Leicester who probably knows very little about it!

I'm pretty certain the First Choice was an acetate.

Social source share

Hello Pete ,I took a chance on a Curtis Blandon acetate the other week , what got me interested was the title was different " Baby in the long run " and is credited to The Curtis Blandon group inc . [ Why would anyone write that ? Also there's more info than is usual on acetates , recorded in 1973 and who did it [ MB & SC ? ] Still don't know if I've bought a duffer , as it has Gene Latters " Catch my Soul " on the flip .It was only £ 3.50 so I'm not really bothered , but would like to know if anyone has any info on the pressing plant [ MJB Recording ] ? Best ,Eddie

post-1804-1166448024_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hello Pete ,I took a chance on a Curtis Blandon acetate the other week , what got me interested was the title was different " Baby in the long run " and is credited to The Curtis Blandon group inc . [ Why would anyone write that ? Also there's more info than is usual on acetates , recorded in 1973 and who did it [ MB & SC ? ] Still don't know if I've bought a duffer , as it has Gene Latters " Catch my Soul " on the flip .It was only £ 3.50 so I'm not really bothered , but would like to know if anyone has any info on the pressing plant [ MJB Recording ] ? Best ,Eddie

Thats nothing like any of the other acetates Eddie - do you think it's USA??

Social source share

Hi Eddie,

Here's another I just found on t'internet from MJB.

I think I've got one of these with Ben Aiken "Satisfied" on one side and P J Proby "That's The Tune" on t'other.

Another wierd coupling.

Sean

That's obviously then a requested acetate - two big sounds of the day (Torch) back to back

Social source share

Guest Netspeaky

Now that is the rarest British vinyl, one known vinyl test pressing and we don't know who has it now, some lad in Leicester who probably knows very little about it!

I'm pretty certain the First Choice was an acetate.

I know I spent countless days over a number of weeks trying to order the First Choice in my local record shop, from a weekly release sheet that came out the week before the records were meant to hit the shops, it had a Pye Release Number, but most probably never made demo/issue stage due to them being moved over to Bell. But if one did turn up then it would be high up there as one of the rarest. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!