Are all original northern soul singles stamped in the dead wax

Hi.

Are all "original" northern soul 45's stamped in the dead wax? Or are some writen by hand..

I've just purchased Spyder Turner.

I can't take it anymore. As an original but I have my doubts.... Any help or advice would be appreciated.

20180815_190428.jpg

20180815_190304.jpg

Edited by Pablorally
Grammar
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Pablorally said:

Hi.

Are all northern soul 45's stamped in the dead wax? Or are some writen by hand..

I've just purchased Spyder Turner.

I can't take it anymore. As an original but I have my doubts.... Any help or advice would be appreciated.

20180815_190428.jpg

20180815_190304.jpg

You're Ok with your Spyder Turner - That is an original and a great record!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Knowing what to look for to determine if a specific record is original, may take a long long time to learn.....

Luckily this sites members hold that knowledge :) and love to share it!

As a rule of thumb, if you buy Johnny Manships rare records price guide, and say a record is listed at £1000, it's unlikely you will pick up a copy for less than 75% and it will be genuine.

Unlikely but not impossible! Happy hunting.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

In reality the bootleg question is not relevant to the northern "soul" records only. Too many pressing plant involved and as many different people involved in the process to make any generic rule as to what is a distinctive way to tell from "machined" or "scratched in" matrix between the original and bootleg pressings. BTW this greatest little record off all time is simply not rare enough to have suffered the bootleg treatment. Thank the lord.

Social source share

Could some kind soul re post the Monarch stamp and numbering system at this juncture? 

Its s a good one as they stamped and numbered all their releases however allot of later ‘northern’ scene bootlegs were pressed there, so having a stamp, or not, cannot determine whether your 45 is original, only way is to know what stamp / etching in the dead wax to look for.

btw we have all done it, bought 45s that had a fake stamp, I got done on Harvey - anyway you wanna /WD 4 or so years back, and I’ve been collecting ft since the early 9ts, Mikki Farrow is one of the best lookalike boots out there, cryptic, but only way to tell that is the look in his eyes!!! 

Spyder Turner was a massive pressing, I mean they pressed allot of that track, it’s comes in vinyl and styrene, it got a seventies reissue Blue/Gold label which is very rare, you will probably find MR (Monach) presses of it and allot of numbered etched on vinyl out there, too common to boot even back in the 7ts...

half of this lot on here can sniff an original in the flesh, if you handle enough 45s you can tell immediately 80% of tracks you come across, knowing the record and the scene it was played on is also useful, Popcorn records cross over, so we all want Sam Fletcher, but the boot originated for that scene not the Northern, same goes for Doo Wop / group harmony stuff, slower flipped allot of the time with a dancer,,,

it pains me to suggest but buy the book, you know the one ☝️ 

mal

Edited by Mal C
Social source share

On 20/08/2018 at 05:19, Mal C said:

Could some kind soul re post the Monarch stamp and numbering system at this juncture? 

Its s a good one as they stamped and numbered all their releases however allot of later ‘northern’ scene bootlegs were pressed there, so having a stamp, or not, cannot determine whether your 45 is original, only way is to know what stamp / etching in the dead wax to look for.

btw we have all done it, bought 45s that had a fake stamp, I got done on Harvey - anyway you wanna /WD 4 or so years back, and I’ve been collecting ft since the early 9ts, Mikki Farrow is one of the best lookalike boots out there, cryptic, but only way to tell that is the look in his eyes!!! 

Spyder Turner was a massive pressing, I mean they pressed allot of that track, it’s comes in vinyl and styrene, it got a seventies reissue Blue/Gold label which is very rare, you will probably find MR (Monach) presses of it and allot of numbered etched on vinyl out there, too common to boot even back in the 7ts...

half of this lot on here can sniff an original in the flesh, if you handle enough 45s you can tell immediately 80% of tracks you come across, knowing the record and the scene it was played on is also useful, Popcorn records cross over, so we all want Sam Fletcher, but the boot originated for that scene not the Northern, same goes for Doo Wop / group harmony stuff, slower flipped allot of the time with a dancer,,,

it pains me to suggest but buy the book, you know the one ☝️ 

mal

The Monarch info is  posted in the Look At Your Box section in the "Soul Source Guide To Record Collecting" thread. 

Social source share

It is a delta numbering system used by Monarch, it isn’t exclusively used by them nor did they own it. Each pressing company that use it will have their own stamp, Monarch has MR in a circle.  Alco has an “a” with a large L that goes into a c with an inside the c.  These stamps will be followed by the delta sign, a triangle and then the delta number from which you can date the press.

Its also wrong to believe that if something is common it wouldn’t be booted.  On this (the northern soul) scene, that may be the case.  But many hits in the US were counterfeited and thats where the crimianls made a lot of money selling then with the buter believing they had bought a legit company release.  Their is plenty of evidence of Motown records being counterfeited at the time they were charting. 

BD9EE17A-74D4-4922-A55C-32AB44C51ABD.jpeg.7e21074498cce506335a754a4a4082a2.jpeg

Edited by chalky
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

Just out of interest, are there bootlegs (I mean lookalike counterfeits, not licenced reissues) that have stamped matrix numbers?  I'm not thinking of buying bootlegs btw, I'm just curious.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!