Westhoughton Cricket Club

Blake H

Just reminising the other night and Westhoughton Cricket club was mentioned and we all agreed about the great nights we had there.

I think it was run by Paul Johnson (please correct me if I'm wrong) and was more of a connoisseurs/collectors venue with djs trying new sounds out with no dance floor pressure.

I think the nights ran in the early 90s round about the time slower tempo stuff was coming into its own.

I remember hearing Jimmy Bo Horne for the first time here covered as Little Beaver? "Just cant Sleep". I always came away with records I wanted (why didn't I buy that Chuck Cockerham @ £150??) which always adds to the good memories.

I Remember Butch leaning on his sales box chatting and never opened it :wicked: happy days. Please fill in the gaps as the my memory aint what it use to be.

Blake

Edited by BLAKE H
Social source share

• Replies 5
  • Views 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Hi Blake, yip the Cricket Club was a great venue run by Paul Johnson I use to DJ their regular

along with guys like Butch, Ted Massey, Rob Marriot ect ect ect the music played was probally

the best in the country at the time and has for buying 45,s well one nite i bought Tommy Ridgley- My love

is getting stronger & George Pepp --The feeling is real off Clifford Camfield £450 the pair, one nite there

where 4 copies of Just a boys dream-Trudel for sale £200 each and if i remember

i got a Boys dream for 175 , those where the days, I remember one nite when i was dj,in Stuart Bennett

and Cliff Camfield where looking at my copy of Four Tracks--like my love for you just before i went on stage

when i came to play it the 45 was,nt in the sleeve i could,nt find it anywhere i went over to Stew & Cliff

asking them if they had seen it ..they had,nt i went back to the stage to look and inbetween the stage and wall was this little gap about 3 mm wide and there it was wedged down the bloody side just about visible

i managed to get it out with the aid of some small pinchers out of a first aid kit .One night when Rob Marriot was dj,in i asked him to play his George Jay- say that you love me he said never heard of it, i replied

you got it mate you play it regular covered up as the Volumes he took it out and peeled the label back

and said f--k me i wondered who that was by ...... Yes Westhoughton was defo the place to be to hear quality rare soul sadly missed when it finally closed...

Regards Ian Cunliffe

Social source share

Talking about Chuck Cockerham i had it in my sales box for 3 years before i finally traded it for

around £150 worth of swops ,thought it was average then and still do :lol:

The worst deal i made was when Clifford was selling Ray Agee--I,m losing again for around £400

Cliff said he wanted trades instead of cash so the next nite i turned up in Burnley and met Clifford and Stew Bennett in the Asda carpark where they bambozzled me and walked away with £400 worth of trades

around 15 records stuff like Blue Jays point of view ect ect ho i cant go on even now it hurts when i think of the trades they got :lol: the motto is never meet soulies from West Yorkshire with a box of rare 45,s in a Asda Carpark, the sad thing about that copy of Ray Agee is that i had to sell it couple years later when the washing machine packed in and John Phillips was the lucky so and so who got it for the price of a Zanussi

Auto :angry:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!