News: Dean Johnson R.I.P.

16 minutes ago, Charlie Rees said:

News/Article/Feature Highlight:

Dean Johnson (Deanjj @dean jj on here) lost his long and painful battle with cancer of the jaw on Tuesday 14th August. His wife Sue and his brother Lee have asked me to inform those members of soul source... read more

View full article

Such sad news. I'm not sure if I had ever met Dean in person but I did reply to a recent sales post of his. He said then that he was battling cancer and I wished him all the best.

Horrible, nasty thing is cancer.

Pete 

Social source share

Really sad news. We had the pleasure of chatting to Dean a few times.

When he was working at the Expansion Records shop in Manchester.

He was always keen to dig out records, he thought you would like.

A friendly guy, who knew and loved his soul music.

Condolences to all his family and friends.

Donna & Andrew.

Social source share

Oh my goodness how very sad!!

You were a knowledgeable, witty fella with such a dry sense of humour and I will miss you.

I bought one of my favourite tracks off you. Spellbound by Rae & Christian feat Veba. An enchanting song that moves me everytime & will move me even more  now as I will always think about you when I play it.

Rest in Peace Dean

Sending love & comfort to your dear family at this heartbreaking time.

Ali xxx

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Very sad news,he was full of life along with Gary Welsh I looked forward to his tapes in the late eighties always educating me with his elegant taste and crushing wit.I used to chuckle when I would get a tape with all the killa recent 12inch soul cuts he would rave about on the Budweiser Showdown logo etc,in return I would send him a 90 minutes of in your face sixties soul which never ever went unappreciated. Condolences to his family and close friends a true giant of the heart has left us this week.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Really sad news, Dean was a total legend around Manchester - larger than life, always had an opinion whether you agreed with him or not but a total music fan through and through

Never played boring or predictable sets - could drop in a beat ballad or some Jamaican soul and somehow blend it brilliantly. Remember stuff like Irma Thomas 'It's starting to get to me now' at Parkers, or Della Reese 'I've got the blues' upstairs in the big modern room at Stoke King's Hall 😀

Underrated as a radio DJ, some brilliant shows with Richard S in the mid 90's, and also as a writer - no-one else reviewed a record like him:-

"Glenn Miller - Where is the Love (Doctor Bird 45). A highly collectable UK reggae label ain't the first place you would look for killer crossover but then who would have thought, all those years ago in PE, that plimsolls would become fashionable"  😁 (Togetherness Mar '99)

Wished him well a couple of months back and he was hopeful to be on the mend but sadly not

RIP Dean - thanks for some great memories 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Real sad news.... Dean was something else with the record reviews  (He tipped Towana, Brenda Jones when they were a tenner each and many more)..referring to passing kestrels and dentists even a vicar I think ..was always good to chat to in the shop in Manchester and getting some nice tunes off him.... rest in peace Dean....

Dave Longbottom 

Edited by lfcjunkie
Spelling
Social source share

Guest soulatthe dale

Truly awful news, not only a Soul connoisseur but a really nice bloke who always had time for a natter and a joke.

R I P

Social source share

I was really shocked when I saw this on Facebook last week , I had lost touch over the years , picked up he had not been well but had no clue it was so serious ,  probably not seen him since a Jan weekender in Blackpool where he was playing Reggae to the same high standard that he always played Soul or Jazz.

When he wasn't trying to sell you a record he was one of the nicest , most intelligent  and witty blokes I ever met , up there with the very best DJ's and as is the case with the best always broke new ground and had his own twist on things .

I still have the 1210 deck he sold me and use it each day , probably one bargain I got from him . 

Really sad and hope he gets a wonderful send off that he would have enjoyed  x 

Social source share

I hadn't seen Dean in a while but was aware that he was ill.

I have many happy memories relating to Dean, be it in the shop, on the phone to the shop or out and about at gigs.  And as already mentioned his wit and writing ability.  He was indeed a very clever man and a real character.

A real sad loss to us all.

Sincerest condolences to Susan and the rest of the family and close friends.

RIP Dean,

Mark & Lindsey Randle  xx

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!