Whitchurch Civic - was it in Cardiff?

Mal C

Whitchurch Civic is in Whitchurch Shropshire. It was THE place in the early 70s with the famous All - Dayers and great acts every Saturday. Ben. E King, Jimmy Ruffin, Jimmy James, Stylistics, Real Thing etc. etc. with all the popular soul artists of the day, plus Slade, Shakin Stevens and Showaddywaddy.

With Soul Sam upstairs and many travellers from the Midlands, Ellesmere Port, Chester and Wrexham. Free buses as well. Great days had by all.

Tony Petherbridge was the promoter and he founded the International Soul Club.

Anyone else out there have fond memories of the Civic ?

Kev

• Up vote 2
Social source share

44 minutes ago, kevin jones said:

Whitchurch Civic is in Whitchurch Shropshire. It was THE place in the early 70s with the famous All - Dayers and great acts every Saturday. Ben. E King, Jimmy Ruffin, Jimmy James, Stylistics, Real Thing etc. etc. with all the popular soul artists of the day, plus Slade, Shakin Stevens and Showaddywaddy.

With Soul Sam upstairs and many travellers from the Midlands, Ellesmere Port, Chester and Wrexham. Free buses as well. Great days had by all.

Tony Petherbridge was the promoter and he founded the International Soul Club.

Anyone else out there have fond memories of the Civic ?

Kev

Tony Petherbridge ( R.I.P) Nice guy . I first started going to Whitchurch dayers in the late 70,s ,then the nighters . Great times at a great venue. Then there was also the Raven soul nights which nowadays would be classed as rare soul nights because of the music policy.  I occasionally get to the old civic when they have the odd nighter.  

Ste 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!