Motown/soul only. NO NORTHERN SOUL!!

Grantham

Are there any venues that play only mowtown, stax, chess, atlantic soul music of the sixties? and not northern soul!!

Every function that we have been to in the last 2 years has been  dominated  by northern soul, we want to know if there is anywhere that plays all the old classics, known by millions and not obscure records only known by a few?

If you know, then please tell us.

Thanks

Grantham:paul&sue

• Up vote 2
Social source share

i'm not sure how far you may want to travel. but Denton Labour Club ( M/Cr) do a Motown/Soul night. They also do a Northern night (separatly)

I've never been to the former...but i have to the later, and it's v.g.

hope this helps. good luck

Social source share

Without sounding to be talking down at you all these record labels are covered by the term Northern soul, and Northern soul is not obscure but known by millions. . Can you be specific in your choice of records so that I can possibly help you and recommend some venues, Albeit they will be in yorkshire as I'm a yorkshire lad.

Regards Fred Ward. 

Social source share

have a look around...   last week at Woody's (Ancaster) there was a night playing specifically what you ask for.,      i just did Wellingborough weekend,    balcony played the same,     Fitzy does the Festival inn,  Trowell ,    same .

A lot of venues play classic 'Club' soul/ Motown and very popular Northern ,   lots on ,  have a browse

Social source share

3 hours ago, Kenb said:

i'm not sure how far you may want to travel. but Denton Labour Club ( M/Cr) do a Motown/Soul night. They also do a Northern night (separatly)

I've never been to the former...but i have to the later, and it's v.g.

hope this helps. good luck

I have been to both and the MOTOWN/SOUL night is once a month on a saturday night , has mainly motown and soul but although the sixties do feature its not exclusively 60`s, plus some "northern" gets played if its popular or crossover , but they leave the grittier Northen soul for the first friday of the month "Northern Soul" night

so mainly sixties and seventies soul and motown, mainly more well known tunes too, so is possibly what the OP is after

both events are in the soul source planner and so are easily found

Social source share

we were around in the day's of the Mojo: Shefield, Twisted wheel/Manchester, Night owl/Leicester and Beachcomber./Nottingham. we just like to go somewhere where they play the Aretha Franklin,Temptations, Four tops, James Brown, Otis Redding etc.,  But all we hear is Northern soul stuff.

We want to go somewhere where we can dance to some classic sounds. I hope someone knows of a venue that plays the above sounds!

Social source share

12 minutes ago, Grantham said:

But all we hear is Northern soul stuff.

Yeh gets on ya wick don't it? :wink:

As said above, there are places about, lots of pubs doing this type of night - Hope you find a suitable venue.

All the best,

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/08/2018 at 08:58, Grantham said:

Are there any venues that play only mowtown, stax, chess, atlantic soul music of the sixties? and not northern soul!!

Every function that we have been to in the last 2 years has been  dominated  by northern soul, we want to know if there is anywhere that plays all the old classics, known by millions and not obscure records only known by a few?

If you know, then please tell us.

Thanks

Grantham:paul&sue

Mowtown - Is that the place where Jon Deere hay harvesting tractors are manufactured???  🤣

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 20/08/2018 at 16:58, Grantham said:

Northern Soul is Motown, Stax, Chess, Atlantic soul music from the 60's!   

Northern Soul takes/plays the best tracks to dance to, from all those labels!

Edited by Guest
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎08‎/‎2018 at 23:27, Gold Band said:

Rolls-Royce Derby advertised under events first Friday of the month don't attend myself as its not my cup of tea but you can see for yourself type in rolls royce Jud on youtube sounds like the event your looking for.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Grantham said:

Hey we both went there on Friday night and this is the best SOUL night we have had for years, great sounds, will be going to them all from now on!.

Great result!

As others have said there are many events that are biased towards the sounds you are looking for, most will specify the Motown/Soul angle if they are more geared toward that than the more full-on Northern soul, in the SS events section, most promoters will specify if their event is that way inclined, well worth looking into, there are many events posted here in various areas up and down the country. :hatsoff2:

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!