Shuffler

The ravages of time, and its effects on hips and knees, means that nowadays, a shuffle is pretty much all I'm capable of really. Certainly backdrops, spins, splits, and 100mph footwork are now all just memories. So, should I venture onto the floor, and perform said shuffling, then even though I could name dozes of tunes, one and one alone stands out above all others. The O'Jays, Lipstick Traces. To me, the very finest they ever laid down on vinyl. 

Social source share

Guest woolie mark

To me a “shuffler” is a 70s record that’s too fast to “stomp” to.

Classic examples (in my time):  The Bottle, Ho Happy Day, & Happy.

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

Guest woolie mark

I’ve just thought of another one, “Purple Haze”.

It’s a long time ago now, and my memory is fading!

Edited by woolie mark
Social source share

Surely shuffling to records has been around since the scene began.

I think it can be done to any tempo or era and is just a style of dancing although I'd agree wholeheartedly with the original poster on Gene McDaniels.

Major Lance dancing to Monkey Time is a prime example of shuffling that influenced UK Soul folks

It was just later adapted to get a bit more funky to 70s sounds at venues like the Mecca and records like The Bottle

What folks refer to as stomping which emerged at Wigan maybe late 76 to records like Captain of my ship was a further adaptation of shuffling

But the description of records as Stompers had long been in use before this and just meant fast records mainly 60s on the fours as in " 100 mph stomper"

This is just me opinion based on how I remember things but others may think diffferently

• Up vote 2
Social source share

38 minutes ago, manus said:

Surely shuffling to records has been around since the scene began.

I think it can be done to any tempo or era and is just a style of dancing although I'd agree wholeheartedly with the original poster on Gene McDaniels.

Major Lance dancing to Monkey Time is a prime example of shuffling that influenced UK Soul folks

It was just later adapted to get a bit more funky to 70s sounds at venues like the Mecca and records like The Bottle

What folks refer to as stomping which emerged at Wigan maybe late 76 to records like Captain of my ship was a further adaptation of shuffling

But the description of records as Stompers had long been in use before this and just meant fast records mainly 60s on the fours as in " 100 mph stomper"

This is just me opinion based on how I remember things but others may think diffferently

That's my recollection of the term, Cashing In is a prime example of a record that lends itself to the latter day definition of a shuffler.  However, nowadays we tend to shuffle everywhere, mostly to the bar or the toilets.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!