HELP IDENTIFY UNKNOWN VERSION OF "I WANT YOU SO BAD", ANYBODY?

Chicago

Scott English was a professional singer who even had a hit record.  I believe he sang some demos of his own songs.  But this recording doesn't sound like him.  Nor do I recognise the singer's voice, The singer certainly is NOT Jay, of Jay & The Techniques.

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

Hard to compare on the phone but he does sound different to the Jay and the Techniques vocal, yes more white but there are similarities, 28 seconds on the Jay vocals and about 33 seconds on the acetate where the vocals strains that little bit.  I’ll have to look fir a Scott English vocal to compare. 

Social source share

this is a tricky one.

I thought maybe 'the other half of the writing team', Martin Siegel might come up trumps... but not sure.

Either way, there may be leads here...

1. another Helios on AR Studios is by Wiess & English, by Ronnie Dio etc -BUT this isn't the voice on the 1968 "I want you.."

2. Helios prexy was Claus (Klaus) Ogerman, and Scott English was for a time the GM of Glamorous Music/Productions (Helios).

3. Scott turns up on many sides with Martin Siegel.

4. Claus Ogerman turns up on a number of joint sides with all those above.

Social source share

Is this the same version as the one that Kenny Burrell had on an acetate? His was untitled and he played it under the name of Billy Arnell - so asumming he thought his was by a white singer.

For what it's worth, I like the "Tighten Up" style guitar licks in this - but prefer Jay's version

Social source share

7 hours ago, chalky said:

Hard to compare on the phone but he does sound different to the Jay and the Techniques vocal, yes more white but there are similarities, 28 seconds on the Jay vocals and about 33 seconds on the acetate where the vocals strains that little bit.  I’ll have to look fir a Scott English vocal to compare. 

We can't his big hit, "High on a Hill", which was sung mainly in falsetto, and full of twee notes.

Social source share

2 hours ago, El Corol said:

Is this the same version as the one that Kenny Burrell had on an acetate? His was untitled and he played it under the name of Billy Arnell - so asumming he thought his was by a white singer.

For what it's worth, I like the "Tighten Up" style guitar licks in this - but prefer Jay's version

The vocals sounds similar to my cloth ears, but the instrumentation differ, minus tambourine, organ  etc on 'Billy Arnell'

Edited by simon t
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

On 31/08/2018 at 22:14, Chicago said:

Hello,

does anybody know of this version of Jay & the technics tune?

we found it on acetate, with a music sheet that credits MARTIN SIEGEL/SCOTT ENGLISH from 1967

here is a soundclip of it

https://www.ebay-music.com/soundclips/583.mp3

IMG_2550.jpg

thank you

Scott English lives/lived in London UK

I have found this site from 2013 where you can contact them and hopefully find out

https://www.thepaulleslie.com/scott-english-lyricist-recording-artist-producer-the-paul-leslie/

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!