Heikki

• Replies 4
  • Views 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

27 minutes ago, Heikki said:

Hi!

I wanted to bring this subject to this forum, too.

It's about Robert Townsend's movie The Five Heartbeats.

Please watch his interview and Mickey McGill's and my comments below.

Very Interesting, Thank You, Still Have my copy of the movie on VHS Tape 1991, wow that long ago (Which i will have to go back to for another viewing) Have not watched it in ages,Also have the CD with songs from the movie, 'I Got Nothing But Love For You Baby' Got lots of Spins Out From Me, also the fab 'House Of Love' i think it was called is a really nice track too.

Social source share

Hi!

To make it easier, I copied out comments on here (first mine):

Hi! Just a few sentences from my interview with the members of the Dells in the late 1990s:

Chuck Barksdale: "This was not supposed to be a story about the Dells from the beginning. This was supposed to be a story about a stand-up vocal group, black, that was gonna be a comedy. Robert Townsend, the director, was brought to our dressing room by a young lady by the name of Kitty Sears, because he wanted to come and ask us, if it would be okay for him to use "Stay In My Corner" and "Oh What A Nite" in this up-coming comedy. When he mentioned 'comedy', Marvin Junior chimed in and said 'hey, wait a minute, ain't nothing funny about being a black stand-up vocal group. It's a major struggle, and the struggle continues today.' Robert said 'well, tell me more', and asked 'wait a minute, are you guys on tour now?' We said 'yes, we're on tour for the next six weeks.' He said 'do you mind, if I travel around with you. I like what I'm hearing so far.'" He travelled with us for the next six weeks. He watched our comradery, he heard us argue, saw us work on stage, riding on a bus, have dinner together. He took that and literally changed the script."

Marvin Junior: "That was 85 % our story. When it was in the theatres, it was not that successful, but then they put it on video and on television, then it became very popular. The company didn't know how to handle that. They were so busy with the black movies with the killing and drugs and the whole bit - and here came a movie about entertainers, and they didn't quite know how to handle that."

Michael McGill: "Don't ever let any other group or anybody else tell you that the movie was about them. Robert Townsend travelled with the Dells. Marvin told Robert things, and he was taking it all in --- so the story came from the Dells. Best regards/Heikki (Soul Express)

Näytä vähemmän

Social source share

... and then Mickey McGill's:

Actor Michael Wright & Marvin Junior became good friends ..... Just ask Michael, because he's real, and will tell the truth about The 5 Heartbeats
themightydells
Really? The Making of The 5 Heartbeats, and omitting THE DELLS, who's life story was the SCRIPT for this great movie. Well it's a little late for that Robert Townsend, because the Genie is already 'Out of the Jug' and Everyone knows that The Mighty Dells were the Template for this movie. Maybe You should review, some of the Award Shows, where you presented The Dells with Awards for The 5 Heartbeats. Maybe you should tell The World, how The Dells performed "Oh What A Nite" and "Stay In My Corner" in the Movie, that you left on the Cutting Room Floor. Maybe you should stop lying.
Lisätietoja

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!