The closest North and South came together.... Musically

Tomangoes

Obviously Northern Soul by definition segregated musical soul tastes North and South.

I witnessed the evolution that brought a change from 100 mph stompers to the more mid tempo and certainly modern tunes, but was there ever a time where you could go into a down south soul night and feel it could have been in an up north soul night?

New releases were shared equally?

I'm guessing around 1980 was closest, but others who actually went north and south would know better.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

100 club obviously for a proper nighter especially early 80s for northern &newies 

For a early 80s friday  night soul night not nighter we had the notre dam hall where keb would sometimes spin his latest tunes getting us ready for sat night nighter up north 

lots of other quality nights though 

( allready mentioned a while back in 80s london soul nights )

For us down south Was really good 

but the nighters up north were amazing

all we thought about allweek was odd fellows hall , totw , p borough , warrington , Hinkley , etc 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

How about the Bedford Nite Spot Allnighters in 1980 with Steve Whittle and Soul Sam bringing down the Flavour of the North to the East Anglian Soul Club. Can clearly remember Sam spinning the Traditions "My Life With You" under the guise of Little Joe Romans. A brilliant niter in what was an old cinema - great nights!

Mark C😉

Edited by professorturnups
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

4 minutes ago, WoodButcher said:

"Drizabone - Pressure" was championed as a new release by Russ Vickers , couldn't get much further south than Pompey ... :thumbup:

Drizabone pressure was played as a new release up north too , Manchester , Leeds , kev Johnson/Blake 

Edited by Colnago
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 04/09/2018 at 17:25, professorturnups said:

How about the Bedford Nite Spot Allnighters in 1980 with Steve Whittle and Soul Sam bringing down the Flavour of the North to the East Anglian Soul Club. Can clearly remember Sam spinning the Traditions "My Life With You" under the guise of Little Joe Romans. A brilliant niter in what was an old cinema - great nights!

Mark C😉

Yes, you are right Mark. I was there that night and remember Sam playing the Traditions and using the group's real name instead of its cover up alias and then having to back track and say it was by Little Joe Romans. Sam also stated that he thought Bedford was the best slaughter in the country at that time. Indeed great days.

All the best Rob from Bedford

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!