Good Old Gold Label....help please

Blackpoolsoul

It's certainly a re-issue label.  I don't know if they are bootlegged, but the quality isn't very good, so that is an indication that that is a good possibility.  But I wonder if it was a legitimate ABC re-issue label in the 1970s, as I remember finding hundreds of them in new Black slick ABC subsidiary/style sleeves.  Or was I confusing that with another 1970s re-issue label that was also coloured bright yellow? 

Edited by RobbK
Social source share

11 hours ago, RobbK said:

It's certainly a re-issue label.  I don't know if they are bootlegged, but the quality isn't very good, so that is an indication that that is a good possibility.  But I wonder if it was a legitimate ABC re-issue label in the 1970s, as I remember finding hundreds of them in new Black slick ABC subsidiary/style sleeves.  Or was I confusing that with another 1970s re-issue label that was also coloured bright yellow? 

goldies.jpg

Social source share

Certainly one worth picking up - the Deon Jackson release with "I remember the feeling" on the flip (Full credit to TONY SMITH👍 for the the tip off ) got mine of Amazon the day after he told me 

not forgetting this release was in the late 70's ? way before the Solid Smoke album that stated the track was unreleased??? ....so what other hidden gems could there be?

image.jpeg

Edited by Triode
Image added
Social source share

54 minutes ago, Triode said:

Certainly one worth picking up - the Deon Jackson release with "I remember the feeling" on the flip (Full credit to TONY SMITH👍 for the the tip off ) got mine of Amazon the day after he told me 

not forgetting this release was in the late 70's ? way before the Solid Smoke album that stated the track was unreleased??? ....so what other hidden gems could there be?

image.jpeg

Goldies 45 is a completely different label to the one I am talking about

So sorry for the confusion

Good Old Gold.jpg

Social source share

For most of the 1970s I was ordering oldie type singles from the US for Global Records and then Robinson's Records in Manchester. All the major labels had  large catalogues of back to back hits by the popular rock, rock pop, soul and country artists. The best sellers were some of the prog rock and heavy metal stuff such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath Alice Cooper etc. The soul releases that did OK were the Motown Yesteryear, Atlantic OS series and Bell Flashback. A couple of pop northern titles sold well- Brian Hyland Joker Went Wild, Baja Marimba Band etc. 

The only labels I can remember that were oldies only were Eric and Lost Nite, Collectables hadn't started back then.

All the labels actively promoted the releases , issuing good quality catalogues that would be sent in the boxes of records. Also the One Stops I used for some labels always kept us up to date with all the oldies labels releases. For those titles that weren't available from these places House of Sounds in Philly "found" stocks of old hits.

Anyway, from my time back then I never saw any Good Old Gold records or listings. This seems strange as there are a few titles that would have been worth getting for the UK or they would have been listed by House of Sounds. It's possible the label had folded by the early 70s but old stock would have been knocking around back then. 

If the records weren't being sold in shops would it be possible that they were done for sale to jukebox operators only . The titles on the labels seem to be a lot of radio hits from the late 50s early 60s by lesser known artists and the labels are mostly smaller ones that didn't have their own oldies series. These would have done well in jukeboxes but maybe not too great  in shops.

As to the legality of the label I'll leave that up to the courts.

The design of the label looks similar to the Old Soul label that had four northern records in the early 70s but could just be coincidence.

Rick

Social source share

3 hours ago, the yank said:

No need to apologize about the confusion- the Good Old Gold label was the label I was referring to when I said 

it was a bootleg label.

The Goldies 45 label  was a legitimate division of ABC/ Dunhill. 

Thanks, do we know who by, when and where in the US please

2 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

For most of the 1970s I was ordering oldie type singles from the US for Global Records and then Robinson's Records in Manchester. All the major labels had  large catalogues of back to back hits by the popular rock, rock pop, soul and country artists. The best sellers were some of the prog rock and heavy metal stuff such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath Alice Cooper etc. The soul releases that did OK were the Motown Yesteryear, Atlantic OS series and Bell Flashback. A couple of pop northern titles sold well- Brian Hyland Joker Went Wild, Baja Marimba Band etc. 

The only labels I can remember that were oldies only were Eric and Lost Nite, Collectables hadn't started back then.

All the labels actively promoted the releases , issuing good quality catalogues that would be sent in the boxes of records. Also the One Stops I used for some labels always kept us up to date with all the oldies labels releases. For those titles that weren't available from these places House of Sounds in Philly "found" stocks of old hits.

Anyway, from my time back then I never saw any Good Old Gold records or listings. This seems strange as there are a few titles that would have been worth getting for the UK or they would have been listed by House of Sounds. It's possible the label had folded by the early 70s but old stock would have been knocking around back then. 

If the records weren't being sold in shops would it be possible that they were done for sale to jukebox operators only . The titles on the labels seem to be a lot of radio hits from the late 50s early 60s by lesser known artists and the labels are mostly smaller ones that didn't have their own oldies series. These would have done well in jukeboxes but maybe not too great  in shops.

The design of the label looks similar to the Old Soul label that had four northern records in the early 70s but could just be coincidence.

Rick

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

On 05/09/2018 at 11:32, Rick Cooper said:

Rick

On 05/09/2018 at 13:53, Blackpoolsoul said:

Thanks, do we know who by, when and where in the US please

Actually, Lost Nite Records wasn't totally an oldies re-issue label.  They released some original new productions with current Philadelphia artists in 1962-64, by Lee Andrews and The Hearts (including "Cold Gray Dawn"1964), "Hey Girl" by The Perfections(1963), and a few other groups (Twlighters) .

Edited by RobbK
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

10 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Goldies 45 is a completely different label to the one I am talking about

So sorry for the confusion

Good Old Gold.jpg

Yes, now I remember the difference between the two.  Goldies 45 was legitimate ABC licensed, and Good Old Gold was very suspicious-looking, as a candidate to be a bootleg label.

Social source share

19 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Great stuff, thanks, don't suppose you have a scan to have a peep at please

Blackpoolsoul

Not sure if you're asking me on this and your other question (who,when and where) but I have nothing to add on this label, which doesn't help you any further. As RobbK and The Yank don't have any info and other sources have nothing it must have been a very secretive and obscure label. Tax write off maybe but who knows.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

15 hours ago, kidinquisitive said:

There were a bunch of these reissue/bootleg labels like this around L.A. in the 70s and 80s. Good Old Gold was one of the more prolific ones but you come across these things constantly when digging in Southern California. Big local demand for "oldies" back in the day (and to this day actually).

It looks like Good Old Gold records were only available around LA / South California then. I never saw any of them around Philly/ New York and the East coast. Perhaps they didn't think it worth selling nationally or wanted to keep a low profile.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!