let sleeping dogs lie

Guest kev such

Guest kev such

for a few weeks now certain threads and topics on soulsource have gotten a tad out of hand.

i just want to try now and put an end to the bitching, which has materialised for some inordinate reason.

i personally dj and go to soul nights cos i love the blooming music and the atmosphere generated by the fact that we are all on a sweaty dance floor for the same reason, i think, THE SOUNDS.

i dj as a hobby not a way of life, i do not expect or receive any payment for djing, i do rather well in my proper job thanks.i prefer to go to soul nights to dance me backside off and strangely like to go home covered in sweat and with my legs feeling like iron bars, bonkers i know, but hey thats just me. should people want to go to soul nights that play rarer than rare or modern tracks then fine that is their parogative.

certain elements have NO right to slag myself or others off for playing the toons that i or people i know do play. i am not 18 years old anymore and i like many others have commitments now that we didnt have back then, so it is harder to go to a venue every weekend, much as i would like to. i DO NOT only go to venues where i am DJing, and i do try to support local venues, however as i have already said, i dont want to spend x amount of £'s entry and stand around for the majority of the evening, the scene is about the music and breaking new tunes is a very important part of it, but my OWN PERSONALL view is that i dont want to spend the whole or majority of the evening listening, i want to dance aswell.

i may be a 2nd or 3rd rate dj or even further down the food chain and i know that i will never get to the dizzy heights of mega stardom, i dont realy give a toss, i just want to enjoy my hobby and if promoters ask me to bring along me box of tunes and do a set then great i will.

So to summerise all i want to say is, i enjoy what i do, ITS FUN, and whoever you are slagging me and others off you obviously feel strongly about what you listen to and dance to, as i do, as i have come to the conclusion that the twain shall never meet lets just let sleeping dogs lie. So as that great philospher Forrest Gump said "thats all i have to say about that"

Edited by kev such
Social source share

• Replies 29
  • Views 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest tonytone

:lol: Hi Kev, who is this guy you are on about? anyone I know? I have in the past said about certain clubs music, not slaging, more like what you might expect to hear, one club will play all northern classics, and classic motown, with the odd rare tune here and there!

Which is fine, takes me back to my teenage year's, then other clubs ie WELLINGBOROUGH SOUL CLUB, will play almost all rare with three or four classic northern played, I myself like either nights out, I like to hear rare sometimes it keeps the scene fresh, and I'll listen and start sorting for those tracks in the boxes, singles or on cd combos? :lol:

I do get people around me on these nights out slaging the dj's off, saying he not playing any thing we know, ie DO I LOVE YOU, /OUT ON THE FLOOR, you know the others, then one or two mates of mine who go to allnighters in london's 100 club, Nottingham, stoke, etc, saying this is all old soul we don't listen to these tunes any more we've moved on.

see you soon Kev (DIAMONDS 29th). :lol:

Social source share

Good topic and yes there is room for all..You are never gonna get them all sending each other xmas cards but lets keep all the shite off here..All for a consrtuctive post that could say " to many repeats"/poor floor/etc etc etc...With so many nights on every week now we have clashes all over the place and some folk are gonna post negative about a rival,all that shite should be kept off here :lol: ..Just get on with what you are doing,promote your nights,plug your events,all sounds like common sense IMO but some will not be able to hold back from trying to big themselves up and putting others down..Lets hope too that we see more feedback from punters and not just the promoters and djs of the events :lol: ,i think its feedback from punters that will get more folk to an event,we don't seem to have that many genuine punters posting regarding events..This leads to under hand tricks from rival camps just trying to out smart each other a lot of the time...Bring back the true punters and then posts/feedback and lots of other stuff on soul source will be of more interest to more people..

Social source share

Lets hope too that we see more feedback from punters and not just the promoters and djs of the events :lol: ,i think its feedback from punters that will get more folk to an event,we don't seem to have that many genuine punters posting regarding events..This leads to under hand tricks from rival camps just trying to out smart each other a lot of the time...Bring back the true punters and then posts/feedback and lots of other stuff on soul source will be of more interest to more people..

Nail head hit, hey this should go into members feedback or summin :lol:

I totally agree Steve, would love to see more punters replying with general feeback than a bunch of promoters, i could go on and on about this but i wont, its somthing i do feel quite strongly about and am trying my best (when time allows) to get events rounded back that way especially the lookback section, i think Soul Source is seen by far too many people as a promoting tool, rather than a place to discuss the event its self, come on punters give us some good feedback :lol:

Social source share

Nail head hit, hey this should go into members feedback or summin :lol:

I totally agree Steve, would love to see more punters replying with general feeback than a bunch of promoters, i could go on and on about this but i wont, its somthing i do feel quite strongly about and am trying my best (when time allows) to get events rounded back that way especially the lookback section, i think Soul Source is seen by far too many people as a promoting tool, rather than a place to discuss the event its self, come on punters give us some good feedback :lol:

Would just like to add this is a personal veiw and not one of the site :lol:

Social source share

In all honesty, the majority of punters who attend wherever, know pretty much in advance who's playing and what they're likely to hear in most cases, so surely it's a case of paying your money and taking your choice, being the applicable cliche in this respect :lol: I suppose however, at most venues you are likely to get the Staedtler & Waldorf charachters, who like to have a moan :lol: But hey, It's only a night out after all, to enjoy in whatever way you like :lol: It takes all sorts So let's enjoy, we are a long time gone :lol:

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Good topic and yes there is room for all..You are never gonna get them all sending each other xmas cards but lets keep all the shite off here..All for a consrtuctive post that could say " to many repeats"/poor floor/etc etc etc...With so many nights on every week now we have clashes all over the place and some folk are gonna post negative about a rival,all that shite should be kept off here :lol: ..Just get on with what you are doing,promote your nights,plug your events,all sounds like common sense IMO but some will not be able to hold back from trying to big themselves up and putting others down..Lets hope too that we see more feedback from punters and not just the promoters and djs of the events :lol: ,i think its feedback from punters that will get more folk to an event,we don't seem to have that many genuine punters posting regarding events..This leads to under hand tricks from rival camps just trying to out smart each other a lot of the time...Bring back the true punters and then posts/feedback and lots of other stuff on soul source will be of more interest to more people..

Nicely put, when you look at the amount of members and the number of punters both are disproportianate to the amount of people posting maybe if we kept the personal OUT and the debates to REASON that may change and thenit would probably be better for the site and the "Scene as a whole"

Social source share

Well said Old Soul Git...We can all get a little too involved sometimes and say and do things we later regret..I don't want a the site to run by christians and i love you all brigade but we have to keep some of the posts off here that just go out to damage another event becaause they have a vested interest in a rival promotion...I go where i please and like others to do the same,i aint one of these you come to my event and i'll come to yours :lol: ,go where you feel you will have the best time with people you wanna be with :lol: ..Its about having fun aint it..I know big promoters have to play a different game,it costs a lot of money and takes a lot of time to plan and run an events and its more a business but still they have to try and keep a balance...Some people think they are clever and the rest of us are fools :lol: ,i think we all know who the fools are...Like the post above said,"we are a long time gone"..Time for Corrie now :lol: ..

Social source share

i have come to the conclusion that the twain shall never meet lets just let sleeping dogs lie.

Thing is though I doubt "sleeping dogs" will ever get much kip on the scene as there are just to many differing points of view!, it's all very well saying lets all have a big group hug, and live happy ever after, but will this happen in reality?..... I doubt it, sadly!.

What makes things worse to a degree IMHO, are all these 'Labels' that people keep pinning to certain genre of the music!...

You cant just like 'Soul' any more, you have to be into either......... Northern, or Modern, or Crossover, or R+B, or 'Up-front' R+B (WTF does 'Up-front' mean?), then you can add Funk, rare grooves, 60s,70s,80s,90s, noughties, etc etc, not to mention a venue I seen advertised the other day boasting they played "Nu-Northern" and "Broken Beats" ??..... Now WTF is that all about??..

Pinning a label on someone and sticking them in a pigeon hole marked '.......' (Insert the genre of your choice) just alienates someone who perhaps prefers another style, thus making the 'Them and us' situation worse!.

Why cant we just like 'Soul' Music??.. :lol:

Social source share

Thing is though I doubt "sleeping dogs" will ever get much kip on the scene as there are just to many differing points of view!, it's all very well saying lets all have a big group hug, and live happy ever after, but will this happen in reality?..... I doubt it, sadly!.

What makes things worse to a degree IMHO, are all these 'Labels' that people keep pinning to certain genre of the music!...

You cant just like 'Soul' any more, you have to be into either......... Northern, or Modern, or Crossover, or R+B, or 'Up-front' R+B (WTF does 'Up-front' mean?), then you can add Funk, rare grooves, 60s,70s,80s,90s, noughties, etc etc, not to mention a venue I seen advertised the other day boasting they played "Nu-Northern" and "Broken Beats" ??..... Now WTF is that all about??..

Pinning a label on someone and sticking them in a pigeon hole marked '.......' (Insert the genre of your choice) just alienates someone who perhaps prefers another style, thus making the 'Them and us' situation worse!.

If life could be so simple :lol:

Social source share

for a few weeks now certain threads and topics on soulsource have gotten a tad out of hand.

i just want to try now and put an end to the bitching, which has materialised for some inordinate reason.

i personally dj and go to soul nights cos i love the blooming music and the atmosphere generated by the fact that we are all on a sweaty dance floor for the same reason, i think, THE SOUNDS.

i dj as a hobby not a way of life, i do not expect or receive any payment for djing, i do rather well in my proper job thanks.i prefer to go to soul nights to dance me backside off and strangely like to go home covered in sweat and with my legs feeling like iron bars, bonkers i know, but hey thats just me. should people want to go to soul nights that play rarer than rare or modern tracks then fine that is their parogative.

certain elements have NO right to slag myself or others off for playing the toons that i or people i know do play. i am not 18 years old anymore and i like many others have commitments now that we didnt have back then, so it is harder to go to a venue every weekend, much as i would like to. i DO NOT only go to venues where i am DJing, and i do try to support local venues, however as i have already said, i dont want to spend x amount of £'s entry and stand around for the majority of the evening, the scene is about the music and breaking new tunes is a very important part of it, but my OWN PERSONALL view is that i dont want to spend the whole or majority of the evening listening, i want to dance aswell.

i may be a 2nd or 3rd rate dj or even further down the food chain and i know that i will never get to the dizzy heights of mega stardom, i dont realy give a toss, i just want to enjoy my hobby and if promoters ask me to bring along me box of tunes and do a set then great i will.

So to summerise all i want to say is, i enjoy what i do, ITS FUN, and whoever you are slagging me and others off you obviously feel strongly about what you listen to and dance to, as i do, as i have come to the conclusion that the twain shall never meet lets just let sleeping dogs lie. So as that great philospher Forrest Gump said "thats all i have to say about that"

Well put Kev, bet your fingers were just a blur on this one! has anyone ever told you "you are very dextrous sir" biggrin.gif and if so did you punch em! only to find out later what it meant :lol: i did once i think :lol: ....Seriously i know we are buddies so people might expect me to put the following, but this aint no back slapping excersise...we both promote local events...(mines better than yours of course :lol: )...but i think we approach them in much the same way...not too seriously with the emphisis on giving the punters the music they like with the odd suprise thrown in ....in essence a GOOD NIGHT!.....dont think either of us or our respective djs ever pretend to be the next messiah...but what we are passionate about is the music and we understand that we come second only to that...so i understand how you feel when people who dont even know you or me , have a pop...cant remember ever having a go at any one else about their tastes can you?...best advice to you mate (apart from changing your hairstyle)...is to keep on keeping on, can do no more than that. i have since 1975 and look at me :lol: errr. perhaps not....see you soon mate...p.s I have cancelled your spot at the Diamonds on the 29th, you are far to much of a hot potato for me :lol:

Edited by jemco
Social source share

Good idea but a lot of folk just like 60s,others just 70s/Modern etc etc etc.. i have always liked a good mix of soul and all in one room on the same night but many are different..You have to say on the flyer what you are gonna play or some folk would not make the effort to travel any distance or even a mile or two..This is a soul site and we all have our own taste..Some have a broad taste and others where blinkers like the milkmans horse..I know as Jemco says that we can't all get along but just keep most of that shite off here,i think the forum was set up to have fun and meet like minded people :lol: ..Some folk are plain bitter and twisted and want to make everything around them the same..There are other sites for self harm and suicide pacts,go there and leave us be...Gonna stay on for a while its Heartbeat on the box now,they play tooooooooo much of the shite 60s poppy stuff on there :lol: .

Social source share

Guest andrew bin

i Honestly think there are just loads of miserable bastards about and i wonder if the only reason they go to soul nights is just to have good old moan, Tracie and i run a small soul night in a village/town in south wales we try and book decent quality DJ's good sound system etc but still people moan, dont get wrong i welcome constructive criticism but the shit we get, for example "i just bought a bottle of red wine and it cost me x amount, it's £1 cheaper in Tesco" i even got an email once from a person who has never been telling us we play to much RnB, for fu*k sake save your entrance fee stay home and buy your self some Prozac or a length of rope :lol:

Social source share

Know what you mean! perhaps up front means keeping the records up your jumper so nobody can see them :lol: ....agree dont think the group hug thing will ever happen, but so called styles come an go, in the 70s it was "pop northern" and so on. thing is and dont take this as a plug! but we try and fit a bit of everything in cos we understand that each style has it good tracks...and i think that most people who come along apprieciate that...just as long as they hear something they like...probably said this before somwhere but your average night would consist of approx 100 records...theres gotta be a bit of room for eveything there...really is up to the djs to make it happen...regards ..Jem

Social source share

Good idea but a lot of folk just like 60s,others just 70s/Modern etc etc etc.. i have always liked a good mix of soul and all in one room on the same night but many are different..You have to say on the flyer what you are gonna play or some folk would not make the effort to travel any distance or even a mile or two..This is a soul site and we all have our own taste..Some have a broad taste and others where blinkers like the milkmans horse..I know as Jemco says that we can't all get along but just keep most of that shite off here,i think the forum was set up to have fun and meet like minded people :lol: ..Some folk are plain bitter and twisted and want to make everything around them the same..There are other sites for self harm and suicide pacts,go there and leave us be...Gonna stay on for a while its Heartbeat on the box now,they play tooooooooo much of the shite 60s poppy stuff on there :lol: .

Well said little stevie...just wish we all could get along! recentley i have got involved in debates on this site and tried to show a degree of modicum only to be basically ridiculed from certain people...so will think twice about doing that again! which is a shame when you think you may have something constuctive to say...any way i agree there must be other sites for these types....i joined this one cos i am a SOUL fan ...must say its quite refreshing to contribute to a more positive thread! :lol:

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Hit and Run was heartbeat can't be all bad well if your into oldies (JOKE)

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Well said little stevie...just wish we all could get along! recentley i have got involved in debates on this site and tried to show a degree of modicum only to be basically ridiculed from certain people...so will think twice about doing that again! which is a shame when you think you may have something constuctive to say...any way i agree there must be other sites for these types....i joined this one cos i am a SOUL fan ...must say its quite refreshing to contribute to a more positive thread! :lol:

Yeah seems to be the thread for reasonable people this on and long may it continue. We all have an opinion but like you gave up on certain topics etc when the character assasination, slaggin' off started. I'll listen to anyones side of things but am NOT going to personalise it. After all it's suppossed to be about the MUSIC or am i wrong.

The Git

Social source share

Yeah seems to be the thread for reasonable people this on and long may it continue. We all have an opinion but like you gave up on certain topics etc when the character assasination, slaggin' off started. I'll listen to anyones side of things but am NOT going to personalise it. After all it's suppossed to be about the MUSIC or am i wrong.

The Git

Yes mate totally agree you are correct sir! it is about the music..on the subject of that (different styles etc). we run a policy where we encourage people to email requests in or comments to us before the event its got quite popular now , probably include at least 20 or so requests on the night..and if we aint got them for some reason gives us time to source or borrow them( yes some of the records i have played have been borrowed) hope thats ok with the soul police..(sorry Baz wont go there again :lol: )...joking a side think it is a good way of making sure that people get some input into the evening and the music played...hope this sounds rellevant....Jem

Social source share

Guest oldsoulgitcomes

Yes mate totally agree you are correct sir! it is about the music..on the subject of that (different styles etc). we run a policy where we encourage people to email requests in or comments to us before the event its got quite popular now , probably include at least 20 or so requests on the night..and if we aint got them for some reason gives us time to source or borrow them( yes some of the records i have played have been borrowed) hope thats ok with the soul police..(sorry Baz wont go there again :lol: )...joking a side think it is a good way of making sure that people get some input into the evening and the music played...hope this sounds rellevant....Jem

Not a bad idea at all should keep people happy AND involved not isolated fair play sir

Social source share

As the thread is "sleeping dogs lie"......

I've swapped a difference of opinion with Tony Parker on recent threads, more to stick up for Northants and Jemco (who got me into Northern Soul) rather than because I particularly disagree with Tony's point of view. When I arrived at the Embankment on Friday, various recent threads were being discussed in the corridors........ Then I saw Tony. We exchanged greetings, agreed that what we want from a night differed and instead of exchanging insults, we are exchangin sounds (OK, Tony is sending me some stuff to further my soul education, I alas have little to offer in return sad.gif ). So however serious some of the recent threads get, remember, we are all on the same side in the greater scheme of things. :thumbsup:

Social source share

Guest kev such

Well put Kev, bet your fingers were just a blur on this one! has anyone ever told you "you are very dextrous sir" :boxing: and if so did you punch em! only to find out later what it meant :D i did once i think blush.gif ....Seriously i know we are buddies so people might expect me to put the following, but this aint no back slapping excersise...we both promote local events...(mines better than yours of course :thumbsup: )...but i think we approach them in much the same way...not too seriously with the emphisis on giving the punters the music they like with the odd suprise thrown in ....in essence a GOOD NIGHT!.....dont think either of us or our respective djs ever pretend to be the next messiah...but what we are passionate about is the music and we understand that we come second only to that...so i understand how you feel when people who dont even know you or me , have a pop...cant remember ever having a go at any one else about their tastes can you?...best advice to you mate (apart from changing your hairstyle)...is to keep on keeping on, can do no more than that. i have since 1975 and look at me ohmy.gif errr. perhaps not....see you soon mate...p.s I have cancelled your spot at the Diamonds on the 29th, you are far to much of a hot potato for me :D

morning Jem, can i have my spot back at the Diamonds if i promise to take me medicine with me this time.

yeah have to agree to your reply mate, im typing this through gritted teeth "i just want to have a bit of FUN"

Cant take life too serious, its not in me genes, just dont know how to. Did the 3 cocks last night, thanks to Kettering Scooter Club, for turning up. have done the Sunday night chillout about 6 or 7 times now. For the last 5 we had hardly anyone turn up, then last month dont do it cos cant be bothered and too much hassle and cos we aint there 40 people turn up asking wheres the DJ? Typical, you take your eyes off the ball for a second. So thanks to Steve Towers(couldnt dance to your more modern toons mate, as i forgot my glittery hot pants and rollerskates) and Steve Brown, for playing some quality oldies last night, the remaining 7 of us finished dancing about 11.30pm.

Oh yeah i know what i wanted to say, as its Christmas, the people i am refering to know who you are. Lets stop backbiting, slagging venues and music policy off, and just enjoy the BLOODY MUSIC. whatever frickin genre or style it is, if thats your thing then just get on and enjoy it and dont worry about what other people are doing. Jemco, can i lay down in me quite room now please? and can i take me postman pat pj's with me, cos i feel safe then.

Social source share

QUOTE(kev such @ Dec 11 2006, 11:57 AM) post_snapback.gifDid the 3 cocks last night

laugh.gif That's Kettering for ya! :D

Oo-wer! & to think I was in the vicinity last night too! Would have paid good money to see that spectacle! whistling.gif:D

Social source share

Guest kev such

I reckon I'd have thought seriously before posting that bit!!! laugh.gif:D:D

Oh bugger, what was i thinking, still the remaining talc came in handy this morning. whistling.gif

i dont think anyone took a camera last night, still we will have to wait till sunday and the News of the World to find out.

Social source share

Guest kev such

QUOTE(kev such @ Dec 11 2006, 11:57 AM) post_snapback.gifDid the 3 cocks last night

you wouldnt have needed to pay good money, it was free to get in.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!